New Wrist Watch Day!

Here ya go John… D85F6AA8-6A57-47A6-96E4-5BC92A8F8CF3.jpeg90549351-3665-4A78-BB46-7B7F5E04F15A.jpeg
Got a photo of it?

Congrats on the new watch! I previously collected Fossil watches and they were pretty good for the price. I sold them all on e-bay and bought an Apple watch which I really like. Your new watch looks amazing OP!

I was reminded I have an older Seiko 5 Sports, the 7S36-03J0. It has a matte gray case and green face and strap. I got it maybe 12-14 years ago for about $80 new. It looks a lot like the current SRPG33.

That’s a good looking watch!

The hash marks instead of numerals is classic
These are applied baton indices. Indices can be printed or applied. There are several types of indices:

Numerals (Arabic, Roman, Breguet, Chinese, etc)
Baton/Stick (thin baton)
Dagger
Round
Arrow/Triangle

Lume can be applied directly over printed indices or an applied index may have lume applied to it. Your new Seiko has baton markers with lume dots next to the baton indices. The arrow index at 12:00 has lume applied to it. That's for easy orientation in the dark. The hour and minute hands on your watch are tapered hands, not to be confused with sword-style or syringe-style hands. The second hand is a stick second hand with a lollipop on the short end. The tip of the second hand is either painted white or it may have lume on it. The lollipop end has a large lume dot. It's an easy-to-see indication in the dark that your watch is running and hasn't stopped.

These are applied baton indices. Indices can be printed or applied. There are several types of indices:

Numerals (Arabic, Roman, Breguet, Chinese, etc)
Baton/Stick (thin baton)
Dagger
Round
Arrow/Triangle

Lume can be applied directly over printed indices or an applied index may have lume applied to it. Your new Seiko has baton markers with lume dots next to the baton indices. The arrow index at 12:00 has lume applied to it. That's for easy orientation in the dark. The hour and minute hands on your watch are tapered hands, not to be confused with sword-style or syringe-style hands. The second hand is a stick second hand with a lollipop on the short end. The tip of the second hand is either painted white or it may have lume on it. The lollipop end has a large lume dot. It's an easy-to-see indication in the dark that your watch is running and hasn't stopped.
No lume on this watch.

EDIT: It actually does have lume, which glowed for a few minutes after I shined a flashlight on it.

Last edited:
There's some really nice watches in this thread! I miss wearing a watch back when I had to dress up for work every day. I have mine put away somewhere. I have a Fossil, Pulsar, and a Seiko. If I can dig them out, I'll post some pics.

That's a nice field watch at a very reasonable price. I've got a couple of 35+ year old quartz battery operated Seikos, a very thin gold dress watch and a chronograph with a moon phase dial. The second hand on the chronograph started giving me problems a couple of years ago and a service was around $160.

I'd really like a Grand Seiko but it's hard to justify spending at least $5000 when I don't have anywhere fancy to go where I would wear such a thing. But their spring drive movements compare very favorably with any high end Swiss watch.

This thread is making me want to go and find my watches. I used to have a bunch of them including some mechanical ones. For more than a decade didn't wear a watch but nowadays is a smart watch to keep track of health metrics.

Anyone recall the name of the Chinese or Veitnamese watch designer with some very avant garde designs that used to appear on the old Shop NBC show years ago?

I miss that old crew, they were fun until they got into the never ending Invicta specials.
Ken - Currently watchless

that stupid phone has a clock on it.

I miss my very old, very inexpensive casio "dive" watch; a submariner look alike.
Got it at Radio Shack when they had physical stores. It was very comfortable and oh so Thunderball !
Maybe it was the rubber wristband that hooked me.

casio dive watch.jpg

Anyone recall the name of the Chinese or Veitnamese watch designer with some very avant garde designs that used to appear on the old Shop NBC show years ago?

I miss that old crew, they were fun until they got into the never ending Invicta specials.

I miss my very old, very inexpensive casio "dive" watch; a submariner look alike.
Got it at Radio Shack when they had physical stores. It was very comfortable and oh so Thunderball !

View attachment 130636
The only Chinese watches I know are Seagull 1962-s. Classic and highly valued.

There's some really nice watches in this thread! I miss wearing a watch back when I had to dress up for work every day. I have mine put away somewhere. I have a Fossil, Pulsar, and a Seiko. If I can dig them out, I'll post some pics.
Is it the red LED Pulsar?

No lume on this watch.

EDIT: It actually does have lume, which glowed for a few minutes after I shined a flashlight on it.
Lume varies wildly in brightness and duration depending on the type and number of applied layers. Good lume will let you read the time in the dark for 8 hours after the exposure to light. Modern lume is commonly made from strontium-aluminate. It is not radioactive, does not yellow (much) over the years, resists humidity (unlike radium and tritium paint lume), and it does not get (much) weaker over the years. Common lume types are Superluminova C3 (bright greenl and BGW9 (bright blue). Some manufacturers like Seiko (LumiBrite) and Rolex (Chromalight) make their own lume. Up to 16 layers of line can be applied for brighter lume. Watches designed for diving and cave exploration tend to have brighter lume than say dress watches the brightest lume consists of tiny tritium gas capsules that are applied to indices and hands and gunsights. They have a half-life of 12 years and their brightness diminishes slowly. This type lume does not require to be "charged" by light in order to work. The tritium gas capsules are harmless. Thanks for letting me nerd out.

Last edited:

View attachment 130636
Arcographite, I have that same watch but with a black bezel. $43.97 on Amazon with next day delivery with prime. Mine has been within 1 minute accuracy according to the atomic/world clock for the last 18 months. 65BD13D9-6959-4583-82E5-8B203DF29129.jpeg

Back