New Wrist Watch Day!

My birthday is coming up, and when my mom asked what I’d like, I mentioned the Seiko 5 Sports Field Watch SRPJ11 (black stainless steel case, automatic movement, black face, with black nylon band).

She got it for me, and it arrived yesterday! Since she’s in Memphis, I opened it while I had her on FaceTime.

I have a couple of watches - a Garmin GPS watch for running, and a Casio G-Shock that I wear at work, and a cheap Casio solar-powered field watch with a white face and green band, but I’ve had my eye on the Seiko 5 field watches for a couple of years, and have wanted one.

Seiko released this blacked-out model a while back, and when I saw it, I really liked it.

Some of you guys are into wristwatches, and I’ve enjoyed reading your threads about them.

These aren’t as accurate as quartz watches, but the automatic movement is really neat, and it never needs a battery. I don’t mind setting it when needed.

My understanding is that this is a re-make of the original Seiko 5 automatic watch, which came out in 1969, and apparently was a good, affordable alternative to the dominant Swiss watches of the time. It was a lot less money while still being very good quality.

I’ve always been a fan of just about anything Japanese-made. It tends to be good quality, while also being a good value. And I think that sort of defines most of the watches made by Seiko.

This one has a nice heft to it and seems like good quality.

Its also my first wristwatch with an actual crystal (they call it Hardlex - I guess thats a trade name?) face that won’t scratch.

I think it’ll be a great everyday watch for wearing when I’m off work. Heck, may even wear it to work some. Just wouldn’t want it to get messed up with oil, Skydrol, etc.

Around $190 on Amazon.

There is also a matching, charcoal stainless steel bracelet available, which I may eventually get.

Who else has gotten a new wristwatch lately? Feel free to post up here!

FC3A8299-8C6C-4FD1-9C11-33A0D9BDCA4E.jpeg
C10CD0C2-8B6A-4C8A-9E90-767CF5100331.jpeg

Last edited:
These aren’t as accurate as quartz watches, but the automatic movement is really neat, and it never needs a battery. I don’t mind setting it when needed.

You can get surprising accuracy out of that movement. I have an SRP777 (the classic turtle, but "new" version) with that movement. Worn daily, it has done as well as +/- 2 seconds a week. (yes).

Naomi Oemura used a borrowed 6105 Diver (the classic "Captain Willard" model) to navigate to the north pole when his Rolex failed, first solo trip to the North Pole in 1978:

https://www.seikology.net/blog/seiko-vs-rolex-duel-at-the-north-pole

Who else has gotten a new wristwatch lately? Feel free to post up here!

Lately I picked up some 5-Sports, too. The 2021 Beatmaker "Pogue" (pictured with my Dad's original 1973 6105 "Golden Pogue"), and a Brian May "Red Special II." These were more for collecting than wearing.

IMG-4476.jpg

IMG-3897.jpg

Wow, time passes quickly on a watch thread.

I have an earlier version of your watch with a blue face. Has run flawlessly for about seven years. Runs about -15 sec/day which is pretty good for a movement of this caliber.

Interesting factoid about the '5' in Seiko 5;

There were 5 traits every Seiko 5 had: an automatic movement, a day/date window, significant water resistance for sporting activities, a crown at 4 o'clock, and durable case and bracelet(or strap)

SRPH31-tilt__97662.1643644326.jpg

I love my everyday wear 45 year old wind-up Timex so much that I just bought a new watchband for it. Keeps excellent time.
Back a few years ago I was really into watches. But I got into old wrist watches and pocket watches.

Congrats on the new watch. No matter what Seiko calls it, it's a Flieger Type B-style watch. You can tell by the prominent minute markers on the outer scale and by the smaller hour markers on the inner scale and by the triangle pointer at the 12:00 index. The 4R36 movement will probably run reliably for 10 years without service and swapping in a replacement will cost less than a service.

I can't tell if that's a two-piece strap or a Nato or Zulu strap. With either of the latter two, your watch won't fall off even if one spring bar breaks. You can get Nato straps in all sorts of color variations from $10 up. I prefer Nato straps on most watches for practical reasons. Makes the watch near loss proof, is very comfortable and light, withstands seawater, and doesn't nip arm hair.

Last edited:
My need for wearing a watch daily stopped when I started carrying a cell phone. None of my sons all (all under the age of 30 do not wear watches either. I am wondering if this practice will become less and less as generational changes continue to evolve.

Nice watch John, understated. Autos are pretty neat.

I got this automatic Seiko as a high school graduation present in 1975. MSRP was $95 it was bought for $61 at a local buying club. Haven't worn it much for years but recently started wearing my watches again and like it. Reliving younger days maybe? It was used pretty hard as you can see from the crystal. Gave it a couple of shakes and it started right up.
20221211_192413.jpg

You’ll love your Seiko! I’ve had a Seiko5 for 5 plus years. I put a blue Barton silicone band on it to match the face.

Congrats on the new watch. No matter what Seiko calls it, it's a Flieger Type B-style watch. You can tell by the prominent minute markers on the outer scale and by the smaller hour markers on the inner scale and by the triangle pointer at the 12:00 index. The 4R36 movement will probably run reliably for 10 years without service and swapping in a replacement will cost less than a service.

I can't tell if that's a two-piece strap or a Nato or Zulu strap. With either of the latter two, your watch won't fall off even if one spring bar breaks. You can get Nato straps in all sorts of color variations from $10 up. I prefer Nato straps on most watches for practical reasons. Makes the watch near loss proof, is very comfortable and light, withstands seawater, and doesn't nip arm hair.

Thanks, enjoyed the article.

My need for wearing a watch daily stopped when I started carrying a cell phone. None of my sons all (all under the age of 30 do not wear watches either. I am wondering if this practice will become less and less as generational changes continue to evolve.
We don't need to do a lot of things we do. I find watches somewhat helpful but not necessary. It's become more of a hobby type thing

Seiko makes a great watch. I’ve got one that’s over 20 years old and it still runs great. I’ve got 4 total. Love ‘em.

You can scratch Hardlex, by the way, but it’s much more scratch resistant than glass.

Yours is very nice, John. Congratulations!

Congrats on your new Seiko. They make great watches. My favorite uncle was a jeweler and watchmaker in Dallas. He always said a good Seiko was better than the best Rolex any day that ends in y. If you brought him a teacup with every part of a watch in it when the door opened in the morning he'd hand you a working watch keeping excellent time before locking the door that evening. You should have decades of good service from that Seiko as should whoever you pass it along to eventually.

Back