New Wrench Set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Christmas my little brother (mechanic) handed down to me the better part of a metric set of Made in USA Craftsman Professional combination wrenches; 11mm to 19mm (he replaced them with Snap-on or Matco, I presume). Earlier this week I finally got around to completing the set - between my two nearest Sears stores I was able to find the 7mm-10mm Made in USA CP wrenches in open stock. So my old HF/Pittsburgh (India) metric set is completely retired.

So then my attention turned to replacing my SAE set of HF wrenches. Budget was around $150. Unfortunately, Craftsman no longer sells the Made in USA CP wrench sets-they have been replaced with chinese wrench sets.

After a ton of time browsing the net looking at every decent brand I could think of, I finally had the thought... if I was able to find the Made in USA Craftsman Professional wrenches in open stock to complete the metric set, I should be able to do the same to build a complete SAE set. But how much would this cost? So I added it up - a 13 pc set, purchased separately, is just under $150. But here is the kicker... I had a 20% off coupon, $1 in Shop Your Way rewards, and an instant $6 bonus SYWR reward. So basically I could purchase the whole set for $113 plus tax. Not terrible considering the regular price for the complete set is $100.

So I pulled the trigger. 13 pieces (1/4" through 1") for $113. My local Sears had all 13 of them in stock - all Made in USA.

Maybe I overpaid a little or maybe I would have been just fine with an $85 set of GearWrench combination wrenches, but I feel a lot better about the Craftsmans.

Now I just need a few excuses to use 'em
wink.gif

Last edited:
Sounds like a good enough deal. I almost bought some metric Craftsman Pro wrenches a while ago, but I went with SK. If you like good, USA made tools but aren't a mechanic, check out SK. They are more expensive than standard Craftsman (their "pro" was actually about even) but not near the price of Snap On or MAC.

I am a little bent with Sears/Craftsman for selling so much Chinese stuff. I am not keen on claiming a warranty on my old Craftsmans and having them replaced with Chinese products.

I've seen some of the Chinese Craftsman raised panel wrenches. They are thicker and far chunkier than the US ones were. They also have that rounded drive style in the box ends which I just can't get used to. I picked up the last local US set while I could.

Just buy the chinese set and trade one piece at a time in under warranty. It may take a few trips but it will get the job done.

This only works if you drive past a sears, if you have to go out of your way...... then it will cost more in gas then what it is worth.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't like SK wrenches. They have all that extra material up by the box end. Makes them look chunky.

Sarcasm on/
What, Merk complaining about an inconsequential cosmetic property of tools. Say it ain't so!
crazy2.gif

Sarcasm off/

I'm sorry Stephen, but I had one of the SK combination wrenches once. I sold it along with all my Craftsman raised panel wrenches. I think it was a 3/4 if I remember correctly. If the bulkiness wasn't bad enough, the squared edge was. However, I do like other types of SK tools: I like their pry bars and I like their pliers.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I don't like SK wrenches. They have all that extra material up by the box end. Makes them look chunky.

Sarcasm on/
What, Merk complaining about an inconsequential cosmetic property of tools. Say it ain't so!
crazy2.gif
Sarcasm off/

I bet Merk loves these blue handled SK screwdrivers with the nifty hole in the handle
grin.gif
:
$(KGrHqN,!qEFG0tnvfYUBRvOCkoJJ!~~60_12.JPG

I never could understand that. Do people hang their screwdrivers up on hooks?

I sure as [censored] don't. I lay mine down in a drawer.

I have a very nice SK 72-tooth 3/8" ratchet. The head is tiny, and the ratcheting action is incredibly light. It makes my Craftsman raised-panel 36-tooth ratchets seem like breaker bars by comparison.

Glad to hear you got a US-made set for a decent price. Although, when was the last time SAE were needed?

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I have a very nice SK 72-tooth 3/8" ratchet. The head is tiny, and the ratcheting action is incredibly light. It makes my Craftsman raised-panel 36-tooth ratchets seem like breaker bars by comparison.

Glad to hear you got a US-made set for a decent price. Although, when was the last time SAE were needed?

I have an SK 3/8 drive ratchet that I bought back in the early 70s. No idea as to the number of teeth but that is one TOUGH ratchet! Used it once to break head bolts loose on a 1969 Chevy 396.....with a cheater bar of course. The chrome finish is flaking off but it still works just a good now as it did back then.

The holes in the handles on some screwdrivers are for putting another driver through to increase torque.

But, this has already been covered in other threads where you've made your complaint, Merk.

810-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
The holes in the handles on some screwdrivers are for putting another driver through to increase torque.

I'd rather have a screwdriver with a bolster if I'm gonna be doing that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back