New Water Pump for 1993 E350

Greetings Oil Men,
Need a new water pump for my 1993 E350. It is a bit of a pain to replace this thing so I don't want to do it again. And I don't want to break down. But I don't plan on putting many more miles on the vehicle either. A new Gates from RockAuto is $30, ACDelco $60, Motocraft $70. No big deal either way.
Opinions?
Thanks.
Nibbana

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't do the AC Delco. And it's likely not one bit better than the Gates, you're just paying for the name

Man these pumps kinda suck. Be ready to drill out snapped bolts.

Don't do the AC Delco. And it's likely not one bit better than the Gates, you're just paying for the name

I got all but one out with the impact. The last one broke off at the head of the bolt. Pulled the pump off with great difficulty. Then heated the casting and bolt with a cutting torch until the bolt was starting to glow. Grabbed it with a vice grip and broke it free. Worked it out with more effort. Could have been worse. Nothing compared to the price of a new cargo van.

My experience with AC Delco for a non-GM application in posts #22 and #24 here:

2005 Chevy 5.3 with 233,000 miles. I replaced my original water pump last year with a Melling pump. Impressive machining, fit and shipping/packaging. Mine came with a new thermostat and a 3 year 50,000 mile warranty. After almost a year it has been doing a great job. I got mine from Summit racing for $137 with free shipping.

New Motorcraft pump and thermostat ordered. Dorman thermostat housing. Removed radiator for this job. Took a half hour or so to remove the grill but it sure made the rest of the job go a lot smoother. Frees up a lot of extra room to work.
Thanks all for your replies.

The ACDelco is a reboxed Gates.

But, FWIW I had a DOA Motorcraft for a Ford 4.0L Cologne OHC engine. I had to slap on a Chinese water pump. It’s still holding after all these years. 🤷🏻

Reactions: D60
few years back i replaced a water pump on my 96 f250 5.8 with a high flow pump from napa. now i have to be gunning it up a steep grade pulling a 5-6 lbs loaded trailer for the needle to reach the halfway point on the gauge. was like $140 but i have 0 regrets. very happy with it.

The ACDelco is a reboxed Gates.

But, FWIW I had a DOA Motorcraft for a Ford 4.0L Cologne OHC engine. I had to slap on a Chinese water pump. It’s still holding after all these years. 🤷🏻
China is fully capable of and do produce some great products. It can be a crap shoot though. Can't say I ever remember getting a low quality OE part though. And probably a lot of OE parts are made in China today.

few years back i replaced a water pump on my 96 f250 5.8 with a high flow pump from napa. now i have to be gunning it up a steep grade pulling a 5-6 lbs loaded trailer for the needle to reach the halfway point on the gauge. was like $140 but i have 0 regrets. very happy with it.
I've found that NAPA usually has the highest quality. Sometimes identical to Zone and Advance. I put a NAPA lifetime guarantee fuel pump in my E150. Just trying to save a little time shopping. And I might add, my nearest NAPA store has lost most of it's experienced counter help in the last few years. That makes a difference.

• Haha
Absolutely NOT! That stuff blocks coolant passages including those in the heater core.

OP, go to FCPEuro to buy a WP that's made by the supplier to MB.

Graf appears to be your best bet. https://www.fcpeuro.com/Mercedes~Benz-parts/300E/?year=1993&m=20&e=614&t=5&b=5&d=15505&v=&keywords=water pump

BTW, are you sure it's a 1993 MB 350? FCPEuro's website doesn't show a 350 for MY 1993.
In this instance E=Econoline :D

An example such as this (sans windows) is a CAV: Child Abduction Van. Think back to all the 70's TV dramas where a van screeches into an alley, the side door flies open and they shove someone inside and then speed away. Cue '70s crime music: dun dun bow chick-a-wang-wang (or something). Fade to commercial....
1995_ford_e-150_cargo-van_xl-econoline_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

In this instance E=Econoline :D

An example such as this (sans windows) is a CAV: Child Abduction Van. Think back to all the 70's TV dramas where a van screeches into an alley, the side door flies open and they shove someone inside and then speed away. Cue '70s crime music: dun dun bow chick-a-wang-wang (or something). Fade to commercial....View attachment 176443
I’m pretty sure the Stallone movie Cobra had me leery of vans my entire childhood.

Back