New washer pump leaking fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced my dead windshield washer fluid pump with a new one but it's leaking around the base. It's on a 2003 Jetta 2.0L. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong, and online guides make it seem simple as pie.

I'm not sure if my issue has to do with the grommet. If i don't use it the fluid rushes right out. When I do use it, it's a slow leak. What's strange is that the original that I removed didn't have the grommet, nor did it leak. I am pressing the new one down in as hard as I can without breaking it.

So you know what I'm talking about...

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-and-...88_31986_0_3690

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticle...Replacement.htm

I have to ask: are you certain that you got the old grommet out?

Might you have pulled out the old pump, and left the old grommet in place? When you say that the old pump "didn't have a grommet" - that's a red flag...

Something funky is going on for sure, but as a last resort you could dab some clear silicone all over it before reinstallation.

I replaced the washer pump in wifey's 2006 Acura TSX. First I reused the old grommet; it leaked.
Replacing the grommet did the trick.
I guess I would be surprised if your car did not use a grommet from the factory.
Good luck.

You may have to clean up the area where the grommet seats to the reservoir. Does yours have 2 pumps?

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
The reservoir might be cracked where the pump seals...

It could be that, or the grommet as already mentioned, a split or torn hose near the pump, or the pump itself is cracked or has a defect causing it to leak. Further investigation is needed.

It could be todays cheap *ss parts...mass market/China sourced/high markup....quality stuff.

The designed in elasticity of the grommet is no longer there after being in service so why would you change the pump without replacing the grommet?

Heh heh. I've had luck with soaking brittle flexible stuff in MMO. My last ww pump was a 20 minute swap of the whole shebang from a parts car. I also have a half dozen injector seals in a mustard jar of MMO. Along with a steering shaft U-joint in its own jar of ATF. On my Willys, when the pump went, I bought a 10$ spare that had been sitting on a shelf in a barn for 20 yrs. It was screwed together. I took it apart and very carefully freed the diaphragm. I let it soak overnight in a jar lid of MMO. Did the job for another 5 summers
grin2.gif

I was putting the grommet on the pump and trying to push it in that way. instead I wedged it in the tank first (very tight fit) and the pump went right in and sealed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back