New Valvoline Extended Protection

I'm only interested in one thing is this another effort by Valvoline to join the $45 to $50 a Jug price. Where the real data that shows this oil will give your car 100,000 more miles of engine life?

I guess we will know in the fullness of time. As for the price, if Valvoline didn’t learn their lessons from Modern Engine then shame on them.

In the end it’s just marketing. How about their new Hybrid oil? I haven’t seen that yet.

My local Walmart has the new Valvoline Extended Protection and it is $25.97/jug vs. $21.57/jug for Valvoline Advanced.

That's... A reasonable price indeed...

I'd buy it at that price.

Oils are Walmart that are over $25 do sell slower. However... They do move. Pennzoil Ultra was $27.97 and Castrol gold container was $28.68 and they did sell. Though you could tell they did sell slower than the ones priced less than $25.

Oils like Valvoline modern engine and Mobil AP for near $40 or more.... Will never sell at Walmart.

So looking at the new oils hitting the market for extended service, I thought maybe we were coming full circle with synthetic oils where "real" synthetics, such as PAO, were making a comeback in the base oils. But then I see the pour point at -39 for 0w20. So that tells me maybe not, or at least there is not enough to get it down to the temps we typically see when there is a significant amount in the base oil. Mobil 1 EP is a full 12 degrees (C) lower, so it makes me think they are just stretching the Group III to longer intervals. Of course, I also think the quality of motor oils is really high, so it should be no surprise. The SP/GF6 formulas appear to be so stout that it makes this kind of marketing and OCI extending possible.

And so it might have some PAO, but if so, it would probably be a very small amount. It looks like even Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 has significantly more PAO than this new EP Valvoline. (Between 20-30% for AFE, according to their safety data sheet.)

I'm sure this is great oil and I may give it a run at some point. Looks like Mobil 1 AP was ahead of its time (EP was waaay ahead), in spite of being over-priced.

I do find it interesting that they are calling this an EP oil but I see nothing on how long they recommend running it. My OLM in my Pentastar goes about 8k, which pretty much any 0w20 can do. My Ecoboost OLM goes about 10k. So "regular" Valvoline Syn has that covered, too. I'm out of warranty on the Ecoboost, but I won't go further than 10k, even on Mobil 1 EP. But I'd still like to see how far Valvoline says you can take it.

These are interesting times in the world of oil marketing, for sure!

Last edited:
So looking at the new oils hitting the market for extended service, I thought maybe we were coming full circle with synthetic oils where "real" synthetics, such as PAO, were making a comeback in the base oils. But then I see the pour point at -39 for 0w20. So that tells me maybe not, or at least there is not enough to get it down to the temps we typically see when there is a significant amount in the base oil. Mobil 1 EP is a full 12 degrees (C) lower, so it makes me think they are just stretching the Group III to longer intervals. Of course, I also think the quality of motor oils is really high, so it should be no surprise. The SP/GF6 formulas appear to be so stout that it makes this kind of marketing and OCI extending possible.

And so it might have some PAO, but if so, it would probably be a very small amount. It looks like even Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 has significantly more PAO than this new EP Valvoline. (Between 20-30% for AFE, according to their safety data sheet.)

I'm sure this is great oil and I may give it a run at some point. Looks like Mobil 1 AP was ahead of its time (EP was waaay ahead), in spite of being over-priced.

I do find it interesting that they are calling this an EP oil but I see nothing on how long they recommend running it. My OLM in my Pentastar goes about 8k, which pretty much any 0w20 can do. My Ecoboost OLM goes about 10k. So "regular" Valvoline Syn has that covered, too. I'm out of warranty on the Ecoboost, but I won't go further than 10k, even on Mobil 1 EP. But I'd still like to see how far Valvoline says you can take it.

These are interesting times in the world of oil marketing, for sure!

It is not an extended performance insofar as a mileage rating and extended oil change interval is concerned. My interpretation of the marketing behind it is that it will extend the life of an engine and the performance of said engine. Furthermore it is being specified for usage in direct injection engines, it predecessor Valvoline Modern Engine was marketed as an oil that can mitigate issues associated with direct injection. Valvoline Extended Performance seems to follow that up in a sense by specifying usage in direct injection engines and claiming that the engine will end up being better off in the long term by using this product.

It is not an extended performance insofar as a mileage rating and extended oil change interval is concerned. My interpretation of the marketing behind it is that it will extend the life of an engine and the performance of said engine. Furthermore it is being specified for usage in direct injection engines, it predecessor Valvoline Modern Engine was marketed as an oil that can mitigate issues associated with direct injection. Valvoline Extended Performance seems to follow that up in a sense by specifying usage in direct injection engines and claiming that the engine will end up being better off in the long term by using this product.
Ok, so basically a new iteration of Valvoline ME? I'm going to go back and look at the PDS on VME to see if it is close. I'd bet it will be.

I think you are probably right. I wonder if it might be a mistake and sew confusion into the marketplace putting an EP label on it and trying to redefine what Mobil 1 and Castrol have established for some time for their EP brands.?

Ok, so basically a new iteration of Valvoline ME? I'm going to go back and look at the PDS on VME to see if it is close. I'd bet it will be.

I think you are probably right. I wonder if it might be a mistake and sew confusion into the marketplace putting an EP label on it and trying to redefine what Mobil 1 and Castrol have established for some time for their EP brands.?

I do see it as the SP version of Modern Engine marketed with verbiage you would associate with Valvoline Maxlife products. I actually like it because I don't care and would not use the oils marketed for extended OCIs for that purpose. I like M1 EP because PAO and rebates, I like Castrol Edge EP because 0w20 has the MB 229.71 approval... I would not use either for an extended OCI.

The PI sheet for Valvoline Extended Performance reads very similar to M1 EP and Edge EP. I've gotten good results from Valvoline Modern Engine and other Valvoline products so I might give this new stuff a spin in the future.

I do see it as the SP version of Modern Engine marketed with verbiage you would associate with Valvoline Maxlife products. I actually like it because I don't care and would not use the oils marketed for extended OCIs for that purpose. I like M1 EP because PAO and rebates, I like Castrol Edge EP because 0w20 has the MB 229.71 approval... I would not use either for an extended OCI.

The PI sheet for Valvoline Extended Performance reads very similar to M1 EP and Edge EP. I've gotten good results from Valvoline Modern Engine and other Valvoline products so I might give this new stuff a spin in the future.

I agree that it will probably be a great oil, but the Pi for 0w20 isn't close to M1 EP in terms of pour point. I would bet it won't touch it on flash point, either, or Noack. That said, it would probably do very well in my Pentastar and would probably easily get it beyond 300k and keep it nice and clean inside.

The 5w/30 looks to be pretty shear stable if I had to guess based on the numbers. I haven't seen this stuff yet at WM.

I’ll probably stick with Maxlife Full Synthetic @ $21/5qt.

Good enough.

I’ll probably stick with Maxlife Full Synthetic @ $21/5qt.

Good enough.
I agree, wally has had that priced at $21.57 for months now, it was on roll back last year but they removed that and the price never went back up to $24.xx so I'm guessing it will stay there.

OK, So reading into this too much probably but Valvoline is calling it "Extended Protection" to "extend the life of your engine" while Mobil1 and Castrol Edge EP are "Extended Performance" and specifically state they are suitable for longer drain intervals. Now, does this matter if you intend to run this oil for longer than your OEM recommended OCI? Probably not... even the regular Valvoline "Advanced" Synthetic is good for over 10K miles so I'm sure if you decide to go 15K miles you could pick Valvoline EP, Castrol Edge EP, or Mobil1 EP and be fine with any of them, as long as your engine and use case support such an OCI.

While it's smart of Valvoline to cash in on this marketing trend "EP" named premium oil market, I think they made a good decision here by not defining an extended drain interval. Realistically the average person should NOT just blindly dump in an "EP" oil for 15 or 20K miles. Or even regular M1 which is now marketed for 10K. A good percentage of people out there either 1. don't check the oil and by the time 10K+ miles roll around it might be low 2. have DI engines 3. Are putting these regular US API/ILSAC oils in their European cars (try to explain to your average BMW driver the difference between the two) 4. Do short trips or mostly stop and go driving. or 5. A mixture of the above factors.

Does anyone else follow my point here?

^ true. I've always felt Valvoline/Pennzoil aren't interested in the extended drain market that much due to the aforementioned reasons above and the fact they are both involved in the quick lube market.

^ true. I've always felt Valvoline/Pennzoil aren't interested in the extended drain market that much due to the aforementioned reasons above and the fact they are both involved in the quick lube market.
I think it’s a very small percentage of sales. It’s really limited to DIY wanting to extend OCI.

Even most DIY just grab whichever bottle dad used and call it good at whatever their manual says.

everyone goes to quick lubes or the dealer and just do whatever the sticker says.

why bother with that tiny market? Seems better to simply tier your oil offerings good better best.

I think it’s a very small percentage of sales. It’s really limited to DIY wanting to extend OCI.

Even most DIY just grab whichever bottle dad used and call it good at whatever their manual says.

everyone goes to quick lubes or the dealer and just do whatever the sticker says.

why bother with that tiny market? Seems better to simply tier your oil offerings good better best.

Not so sure. Look at shelf space and it should tell you what sells and what doesn't, and I'm sure it varies geographically. Around here, the Walmart shelf has as much space devoteed to Mobil 1 EP as it does any other version, and it is at the eye-level height, which is prime real estate. They made a lot of room for the extended interval Supertech, too.

Back