New Truly Wireless Ear Buds, suggestions?

Well I ordered the Bose. This is what we get to pay as Canadians but I'm actually surprised that I still got the same deal after being redirected to their Canadian website. Ordering with PayPal was painless. Hopefully I like them. Thanks again 👍
Was looking at another one you mentioned on Amazon for a good price then noticed it was refurbished. I feel better about refurbished by Bose then by some random third party seller.
Also with the 4 hour battery life I'll just keep the JBL buds ready as backup. 4 hours each should get me through a day as I switch to the truck stereo while driving between jobs.
Excellent, glad you were able to get the same deal up north!
I agree 100%, I would not want under any circumstances a third-party refurbish. In fact this is the first refurbish that I ever purchased in my long life so far and that was because it was coming directly from Bose.
I wouldn’t sweat the battery life, it will probably be closer to five hours and all you have to do is pop them back in the case which has its own battery to recharge the buds and within minutes it will recharge for another hour or two of usage.
Of course if you leave it in longer you will get a full recharge. I think you could repeat that for two or three full re-charges before the case has to be recharged with a USB cable.
I think you’ll like them and I forgot to mention both the Powerbeats and the Bose have excellent Bluetooth range.
The Jaybuds, since they recess in to the ear a little further the bluetooth range takes a little bit of a hit.
I can leave my phone almost any place in my 3000 sq ft house And both the Bose and the Powerbeats have sufficient range to cover the whole house.

Well I ordered the Bose...
I found this REALLY helpful, its directly from Bose on their website someplace. It is the proper way to put the earbud in.
At first out of the box I thought they were supposed to be horizontal mostly, but its the other way around, vertical mostly.
Following Bose Video it was amazing to me, how comfortable they are, its a weird feeling at first.
With that said, ear buds are highly personal to each users ear, manufacturers know that and why such liberal return policies. They cant make an ear bud that fits the entire population of the world, so they do a best guess.
Bose Sport Buds and Beats Powerbeats work perfect for me. The Jaybird comes VERY close, still playing around with it, Im sure it will work great for most people, but not so sure about me.
Here is the video from Bose =

Ok, this is really stupid, as much as I hate Amazon, low price wins. You would need to read all the insanely long posts but I purchased Bose Earbuds from Bose a week or two back. They were Bose Refurbs purchased directly from Bose. They were excellent and I loved the sound, as my posts reveal I am testing over half dozen earbuds though. Anyway, something happened after a firmware update and the sound became overly warm and I could not correct it, I mean warm right into the treble and before this they were tied in sound quality with my favorite Beats Powerbeats Pro's, so I returned them, nothing lost or gained, shipping both ways is free from Bose.

Anyway, previous posts state I am getting very close to a conclusion on my earbud search. Keep in mind I am ONLY considering sport buds, I want something that will stay in my ear without adjusting them all the time.

The Powerbeats Pros are my first choice and certain keeper. Super long time between needing to be recharged if need be, something like 9 hours but doesnt matter much until they get older if you haven't lost them by then.
But I am also looking for one other much like people have 2 or more pairs of sunglasses (like me*LOL*)

Im mostly loving the Jaybird Vista 2 however it take take some fiddling to get the sound exactly right, but with their EXCELLENT app I did. Also bluetooth range takes a hit because they are so compact and recessed in your ear. But I do like them and for my wife, she wants a pair for her birthday, they are also waterproof and meet some military standard which I didnt bother to look into. Not to crazy about the push buttons on them ether and normally I prefer push buttons but it does take a little more force on these and pushed it into your ear more, though I think they have "loosened" up a little over the week and now push more easy.

Ok, onto Bose, I couldn't get over the feeling on how much I liked the sound, equal to the PowerBeats that I am keeping but in a different way, in fact for the life of me I couldn't even determine which sound I liked better they were/are that good. Plus like the Powerbeats and whatever it is with my ears, they stay in place.
So, on Friday 11 PM at night, in bed I found the Bose on sale with Amazon, I was looking at them using my cell phone. It was a deal I could not turn down. The refurb that I previously bought was 119. which was a great deal as even when they go on sale they are never under $150 and Bose give you 90 days to try them out, you cant lose.
Anyway, Amazon had them for $150 but then on my phone it told me if I download and buy them through the app they will give me $15 off that price, then taking into account I was using my Discover Card I was getting another 5% off. SO bottom line I got the new Bose for $128

But that isnt the suprising part, I ordered them around 11:20 PM Friday night, free shipping and to arrive the following Thursday which is 6 days. Well, the were at my door before 10Am on Monday *LOL* Technically a hair over 2 days!
Ok, now to get them set up ... wasnt prepared to get them so fast. There are deals out there now, way before the holidays... and Amazon I am pretty sure now gives me till the end of Jan to return them.
IMG_5578.jpeg

Ok, this is really stupid, as much as I hate Amazon, low price wins. You would need to read all the insanely long posts but I purchased Bose Earbuds from Bose a week or two back. They were Bose Refurbs purchased directly from Bose. They were excellent and I loved the sound, as my posts reveal I am testing over half dozen earbuds though. Anyway, something happened after a firmware update and the sound became overly warm and I could not correct it, I mean warm right into the treble and before this they were tied in sound quality with my favorite Beats Powerbeats Pro's, so I returned them, nothing lost or gained, shipping both ways is free from Bose.

Anyway, previous posts state I am getting very close to a conclusion on my earbud search. Keep in mind I am ONLY considering sport buds, I want something that will stay in my ear without adjusting them all the time.

The Powerbeats Pros are my first choice and certain keeper. Super long time between needing to be recharged if need be, something like 9 hours but doesnt matter much until they get older if you haven't lost them by then.
But I am also looking for one other much like people have 2 or more pairs of sunglasses (like me*LOL*)

Im mostly loving the Jaybird Vista 2 however it take take some fiddling to get the sound exactly right, but with their EXCELLENT app I did. Also bluetooth range takes a hit because they are so compact and recessed in your ear. But I do like them and for my wife, she wants a pair for her birthday, they are also waterproof and meet some military standard which I didnt bother to look into. Not to crazy about the push buttons on them ether and normally I prefer push buttons but it does take a little more force on these and pushed it into your ear more, though I think they have "loosened" up a little over the week and now push more easy.

Ok, onto Bose, I couldn't get over the feeling on how much I liked the sound, equal to the PowerBeats that I am keeping but in a different way, in fact for the life of me I couldn't even determine which sound I liked better they were/are that good. Plus like the Powerbeats and whatever it is with my ears, they stay in place.
So, on Friday 11 PM at night, in bed I found the Bose on sale with Amazon, I was looking at them using my cell phone. It was a deal I could not turn down. The refurb that I previously bought was 119. which was a great deal as even when they go on sale they are never under $150 and Bose give you 90 days to try them out, you cant lose.
Anyway, Amazon had them for $150 but then on my phone it told me if I download and buy them through the app they will give me $15 off that price, then taking into account I was using my Discover Card I was getting another 5% off. SO bottom line I got the new Bose for $128

But that isnt the suprising part, I ordered them around 11:20 PM Friday night, free shipping and to arrive the following Thursday which is 6 days. Well, the were at my door before 10Am on Monday *LOL* Technically a hair over 2 days!
Ok, now to get them set up ... wasnt prepared to get them so fast. There are deals out there now, way before the holidays... and Amazon I am pretty sure now gives me till the end of Jan to return them.View attachment 74770
I guess I will avoid any firmware updates on mine once I receive them, unless I have some specific issue.

I guess I will avoid any firmware updates on mine once I receive them, unless I have some specific issue.
No, I wouldn't avoid an update. In fact it maybe impossible to avoid it, I think it comes up as soon as you open the app.
I would do it, dont not do it because of my post. I cant be sure of anything on what happened and here is the key =
If there is anything to go wrong, make it go wrong in the 90 day return policy + free return shipping!

For what it is worth, I did the update right away yesterday, as soon as I got them out of the box, because, again, if something should be wrong, now is the time to find out. All went well.

No, I wouldn't avoid an update. In fact it maybe impossible to avoid it, I think it comes up as soon as you open the app.
I would do it, dont not do it because of my post. I cant be sure of anything on what happened and here is the key =
If there is anything to go wrong, make it go wrong in the 90 day return policy + free return shipping!

For what it is worth, I did the update right away yesterday, as soon as I got them out of the box, because, again, if something should be wrong, now is the time to find out. All went well.
There doesn't seem to even be an android app for my JBL so they've never had a firmware update.

I got a Sol Republic Shadow Bluetooth headset a couple of years ago with "attaboy" points granted to me at work. At first I didn't like it because it has the neck band with wires at the ends terminating in the ear buds. They've grown on me. It's not as elegant a solution as true wireless earbuds, but the sound quality is very good, battery capacity is great due to having a larger battery in the neck band, and the lightweight buds can be worn comfortably for hours. I'm sure my next set will be the type discussed here, but the neckband type does offer some advantages, not to mention a lower price.

The Bose arrived about 3 days after I ordered them. Forgot to post an update but I wanted to use them at least a few days first.
So far I have no complaints. They appeared to be brand new, they sound better than my JBL free. They clip into position in the case for charging without any trouble, with the JBL I always had to wiggle them to get them to seat and charge and sometimes they would move off the charging pins while I walked around.
I did not install an app and they connected without any trouble first try. The tips that came pre installed fit perfectly so I didn't even try the others.
I don't know about battery life yet because I haven't had a job where I was able to leave them in for more than a couple hours before tossing them back in the case while driving or on the phone.
Anyway, I won't be returning them and I appreciate the guidance on picking out a set.

The Bose arrived about 3 days after I ordered them. Forgot to post an update but I wanted to use them at least a few days first.
So far I have no complaints. They appeared to be brand new, they sound better than my JBL free. They clip into position in the case for charging without any trouble, with the JBL I always had to wiggle them to get them to seat and charge and sometimes they would move off the charging pins while I walked around.
I did not install an app and they connected without any trouble first try. The tips that came pre installed fit perfectly so I didn't even try the others.
I don't know about battery life yet because I haven't had a job where I was able to leave them in for more than a couple hours before tossing them back in the case while driving or on the phone.
Anyway, I won't be returning them and I appreciate the guidance on picking out a set.
Glad to hear the good news. Thanks for reporting back, I was curious how you were making out with them and if you received them.

I tend to be a bit extreme with electronics only because its something I enjoy and I have the time, someday, at some point I will make a final post but here I am with what must be trying out 8 different higher end completely wireless earbud brands. I will be keeping two of the three I have remaining and did not return yet.
I am at this point keeping the Jaybird Vista 2 SE as one of the two top choices and so far, HEAVLY leaning toward the Bose Sportbuds over the Beats PowerBeats which is a big switch.

All of these three earbuds are awesome and all, like any product have a weakness. Its what works for your intended use. The Jaybirds are fun earbuds, great app, etc, etc... but wow, at their price, they should not have the Bluetooth distance issues they have, even in your back pocket sometimes. Part of this reason is they are recessed so far into your ear bluetooth signal gets blocked, not really a fault of the company, just is. Anyway, if I was only getting one set I would not be keep this Jaybird Vista 2 SE but in my case it does have a purpose and distance not critical.
Ok, now for the second set...

I think some place in this insane long thread I created I had the Powerbeats Pro as my top choice but now in almost a complete about face, the Bose is set to take that spot. They both are very secure in the ear and excellent Bluetooth distance, the edge to secure does go to the Bose though, as well as comfort. The edge for the controls goes to Powerbeats pro. But not critical at all.

I just love the comfort of the Bose along with the sound quality. There is no rush but I am getting kind of burnt out trying these things out and think I covered everything on the market in this price range and quality level that will perform and as sport bud.
The Powerbeats are nice, beautifully made but man, if you listen closely long enough on the Bose, there is just this spaciousness that the others don't have. PowerBeats sound great just a bit more sterile and sometimes they are not completely secure against my ear and have to push them back for proper sound.
Glad Bose worked out for you and their return policy is awesome, even if you decide you don't like them in two months or three months.
Thanks again for the update!

Last edited:
Well, Im all done, made my two choices for true wireless ear buds. Keeping both models as they will each fill a purpose.
ITs been a bit crazy 6 or 7 weeks of testing ear buds, buying and returning.
Models I tried;
Beats Studio Buds, Beats PowerBeats Pro, Jabra Elite 75T, Jabra Elite Active 75T, Sony SP900, Bose Sport Buds, Jaybird Vista 2

The above are all claimed Sport Buds (except maybe the Beats Studio Buds), for me they are stay in your ear buds, whether you are working around the house or doing physical activities. That was #1 criteria secure fit, 2 sound and performance (controls ect), 3 fun factor, 4 battery life ... pretty much all these things are important and no matter what earbud a compromise will have to be decided on what is important to someone.

-Beats Studio Buds = good sound, looked cool to me, No app for iPhone, that's about it, couldn't properly keep them secured in my ear.
-Beats PowerBeat Pro = Awesome construction, really unique, hugs the head, great controls, no app. Sound was good but for me, I had to hold them tight up against my ear to get the sound, they didnt ship with big enough bud tips I think. The hard casing will restrict who can use these buds at a good comfort level, would recommend to anyone to try if they can get a good fit if not return.
- Jabra Elite 75t and Jabra Elite Active 75t. Even though the "Active" claims sportbud its not, great app, great sound, really good, I liked them but always would work loose. BTW my wife bought her own set of these and ended up returning as well, hurt her ears.
- Sony SP900 Scratching my head on this one, maybe it was defective but heck, my wife and I both couldn't seem to get a great fit and even when we came close the sound was horrible.

The TWO winners for me (keeping both) are
1. Bose SportBuds
First set I got of these I had a sound issue it MAY because of a new firmware update gone wrong, dont know but the other set I ordered later came in last week or so and its awesome. Love these things, super comfortable, super secure, awesome spacious sound, dare I say Bose sound? Its warm for sure BUT doesnt over power or put a veil over the midrange and treble. I dont know, just loving the sound and typically I like a bright forward sound but these are just sooooo clean and nice. Listening to them as I type this.
The "fun factor" is nothing to write home about, they do what they do well, the app is so basic once I had them set up I deleted the app.
The touch controls are touchy at best but you will get used to it and master it. Once you do its kind of nice swiping to raise or lower the volume.
All I can say, when it comes to grabbing a set to put in my ears, this is the first choice if it is for any physical activity most times and oh the sound.

2. Jaybird Vista 2
This was a huge surprise, I didnt even know Jaybird existed until a month or so ago. Turns out they are pretty big in the fitness world and advertise in places like Cycle Magazine or wherever I first saw them in a write up.
Wow!
These things are tiny, amazing amount of controls built in and they work if a bit stiff push buttons for most functions, also a learning curve, so many options to use the controls.
Stays secure in the ear, look really good too. Comfortable enough, good clean punchy sound, fun factor is great if you like playing around with an app this is the earbud for you. To this day when I hold these little earbuds I am amazed. What works for me with these is I can use them in bed, if I wake up during night or want to lay down for a quick nap its easy to put these in and avoid laying directly on them since they really dont stick out of the ear. It also has "hear through" so if someone in the house starts talking to you, you can turn on hear through and the earbuds will play the voice through them instead of taking one out of your ear. (fun factor)

So that's it, I cant think of any others I want to try and thank god because I am burnt out on this. I cant even check for typo's *L*
Bose I grab whenever I want to be amazed for sound, comfort and secure fit.
Jaybird I grab when I want to lay down, listed to music, cut the lawn because it doesnt have a basic noise reduction system built in that helps a little, and feel like messing around with the awesome app. (fit of course is good too, just different from the Bose)

Oh and I almost forgot one big one, the bluetooth range on the Bose is MUCH greater then the Jaybird. The Jaybird recessed so far into your ear weakens the signal, I am certain of it, so if I am working outside the house I prefer the Bose, I can leave my phone central to where I am and walk around anywhere. The Jaybird isnt horrible but one annoying thing at times can be when you put your phone in your back pocket, sometimes the sound breaks up and sometimes not. Like anything, its easy to try these things out and return if it doesnt work for you.

What I have learned is not to pay to much attention to these so called "professional" review sites, keep in mind, some of these people know nothing about sound or much about earbud electronics, you will notice that when you read some of their comments.
I do find it a help at times reading the 1, 2, 3 starreviews on places like Amazon, just to see if there is any glaring issue.
So read reviews sure, but if you see something positive or negative, make sure you ask yourself is that important to you, just because its important to the writer doesnt mean anything.
An example, glowing reviews for the PowerBeats Pro (for the most part) and they are good, very well designed and made but fit will not work for everyone, Bose fit will, also PowerBeats Pro had a good "consumer" type sound that will sound good when you first put them on but that might get old if you listen to the Bose or want the control of the Jaybird.

Photo of Bose (top) and Jaybird (bottom)

IMG_5597.jpeg
IMG_5683.jpeg

Last edited:
Ohhhhh ... nooooooo! Just when I thought I was done testing every type of true wireless sport buds in the $100 to $200 (up to $250 list) price range, Beats comes out with a second new model for the year, maybe a winner for some looking at it (which looks cool) not sure if it will work for my ear, only one size hook is built in/skeptical if one size can possibly fit billions of different size ears ... and ... as mentioned above, Im burn't out on this!

Back