new truck old oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just bought a new f150 with 5.4 v8
my question is the truck has 100 miles on it but the truck was built in 10/05 ,should the oil be changed right away due to the amount of time the oil was in crankcase ????

You should be fine with this oil, its only been used for 100 miles and after all its new. If the same question was posed for a high mileage car and was driven only 100 miles in 10 months then i would say yes, change it right away.

I bought my F150 5.4 in April '01. She was built in May '00 and had 11 miles when I left the dealership. I put 1100 miles on and then did the change.

quote:

Originally posted by matt greenberg:
i just bought a new f150 with 5.4 v8
my question is the truck has 100 miles on it but the truck was built in 10/05 ,should the oil be changed right away due to the amount of time the oil was in crankcase ????

That is a long time and you could have some significant condensation in the engine due to temperature changes while it was stored (outside?). Yes, it will evaporate as you drive, but I would change the oil to be sure you have a good oil to start with.

It all depends on whether it was a special break-in formulation or not. If it is, then keep it in til 1000 miles; if it's just regular oil - change it out.

You don't need to change it just because it was built a few months ago but hasn't had hardly any use. Change it at the first factory specified interval (5,000 miles or 6 months from purchase) or sooner if you absolutely feel that you must. You don't need to change it sooner.

I'm in NJ and the wife bought a 2005 Explorer built October 2004 in July 2005. This vehicle by the dealer's own admission was started occasionally to just move it or "keep the battery charged". That didn't work because the battery was still dead from sitting and short starts. The agreement of purchase was that the dealer was to change the oil during the pre-delivery inspection. Needless to say they didn't and also never found the mouse nest in the airbox
mad.gif
. I checked the oil after about 100 miles of use and saw the factory filter still on the truck. They did change it after I pointed that fact out
rolleyes.gif
. The mouse nest was found out at the next oil change service at 1000 miles when someone finally opened the airbox to inspect the filter as part of their oil change service.

If a vehicle sat for 6+ months in the outdoors with occasional starts, especially in the winter, that is h**l on an the oil in a new engine. The oil in a new engine has enough to deal with under ideal conditions.

I'd change the oil asap. You're circulating acids in a new engine. The cost of even having the dealer change the oil is most likely no more than $35. It's worth it to start your engine off right for a long and healthy life span.

But if you don't care or trade your vehicles in before the warranty expires then it doesn't matter. That's why I don't buy trade in vehicles. I buy new vehicles and run them till they're 10++ years old. The only way I'd buy a "preowned" vehicle is if the owner had all the service records available.

Whimsey

matt, seeing that your in SoCal, I'd just take it on a long highway drive (60 miles) as soon as possible, if you haven't already. Might want to check for any critter nests in the air filter housing too.

quote:

Originally posted by Big Jim:
You don't need to change it just because it was built a few months ago but hasn't had hardly any use. Change it at the first factory specified interval (5,000 miles or 6 months from purchase) or sooner if you absolutely feel that you must. You don't need to change it sooner.

I agree with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back