New Toyota Tundra - TGMO?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Would you believe that my Tacoma only gets about 2mpg better than your Tundra?

It's freaking ridiculous. LOL.

Yeah...they're not known for fuel efficiency. Surprisingly, the 4Runner gets an average of 12-14 city and 16-17 highway, so this beast, as big and thirsty as it is, is no worse than the little 3.0 V-6 it is replacing.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Interesting, thanks. I've always run oil on the heavier side with my turbo cars, because they recommend a heavier weight when used hard. But this will be used gently, for the most part, so I don't anticipate high oil temps (and it does have the tow package oil cooler) and so I was planning to stick with 0W20.

So the tow package includes an engine oil cooler? That's cool!!
I agree fully with your thinking.

Yeah, I was pleased with the engineering overall, and that bit in particular. In a finned/layered construct that is part of the oil filter cartridge housing, coolant hoses are plumbed in and out.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Would you believe that my Tacoma only gets about 2mpg better than your Tundra?

It's freaking ridiculous. LOL.

Yeah...they're not known for fuel efficiency. Surprisingly, the 4Runner gets an average of 12-14 city and 16-17 highway, so this beast, as big and thirsty as it is, is no worse than the little 3.0 V-6 it is replacing.

We've run one tank through our new 4Runner, about 50/50 highway/city and the computer says 16.5 MPG. In all honesty, it's not much worse than the 09 Pilot it replaced, but a heck of a lot more fun to drive than the old Pilot.

I really, really liked the new 4 Runner. Rented one last month and put 200 miles on it. Was prepared to buy a new one but decided that I needed the ability to tow the 7,000# antique car/trailer combo.

You've bought a great truck. Enjoy it!

Originally Posted By: mehullica
All dealers are required to use TGMO during the Toyota Care free maintainance period

Yeh but does the Toyota Care free maintainance period supercede the owners manual from extreme conditions of use requirements ??

If NOT then obey the OEM owners manual extreme conditions of use requirements
coffee2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tech819
Shouldn't this question be asked in 2 years or 25,000 miles

as lots of others alluded to, yes. the guy probably dropped 50k~ so lets at least admire the pictures.

Free oil changes and Toyota Care are my intention.

But, as was pointed out, the truck cost some $$, so if there is a compelling reason to use a different oil, or follow a different schedule, I'm all ears. Cost isn't a big consideration in this case. I'm not very experienced with new cars, this is the second one I've ever bought...

And, based on some of your posts, I will absolutely see what, exactly, the dealer is using...since it may not be bulk TGMO...

Cheers,
Astro

Last edited:
Not sure what OCI your Tundra calls for.

Our 4Runner calls for 10,000 mile OCI, and 5,000 mile tire rotations. So my free Toyota Care covers two oil changes (10k and 20k) and 5 tire rotations (5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, and 25k). There is no way that I can leave the factory fill in for 10k. I'm going to change it out at 5k, then again at 10k, then start to follow the 10k OCI.

I ordered 5 OEM oil filters and drain plug washers from a Toyota dealer in FL for $25. Unless the Toyota dealer can convince me that they are using TGMO, I'll probably just end up doing everything myself. I feel much better knowing that it's done right. Sometimes free is expensive!!!!

Oh yeah: is this a flex fuel 5.7, or a non-flex fuel 5.7? I recall the flex fuel 5.7's being 5k and 2.5k if run on E85. The non-flex fuel was 10k (and the 4.6L is 10k period, as it does not have a flex-fuel version). Maybe that changed, I just recall there being an issue with understanding OCI on the FF's.

Congrats on the new truck, looks pretty sweet in that color.

One thing I would do, is dump that oil well before Toyota's prescribed 10k miles, preferably before 5k miles IMO. I would also don't baby it and get some WOT in it as early as possible (avoiding 1st gear and after a full warm-up, of course).

Op, beautiful truck! Drive one myself. Fantastic trucks imo. Can you please describe the improvement that the sway bar gave you? Been thinking about getting one for my tundra. Thx

Truck is very nice. Only thing that I don't like is the hideous plastic chrome monstrosity they call a grill. Almost all the truck makers do that now.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Truck is very nice. Only thing that I don't like is the hideous plastic chrome monstrosity they call a grill. Almost all the truck makers do that now.

I think you meant grille with an "e" on the end.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

grin.gif

Originally Posted By: lawnman
Op, beautiful truck! Drive one myself. Fantastic trucks imo. Can you please describe the improvement that the sway bar gave you? Been thinking about getting one for my tundra. Thx

I installed the sway bar at 200 miles, so it wasn't an extensive comparison but I noticed a big reduction in body roll. The truck seems to understeer a bit more but feels a lot more stable, both in steering stability and body roll. I would strongly encourage adding the sway bar if you've got a Tundra. That should have been a factory install.

Very nice Overkill. I'll take one with cheese on top and a cold Bud.
smile.gif

Yeah, that's the style now...all the manufacturers build trucks that have a big "schnozzola" now, though the Platinum trim level Tundra has much more body color and the grille looks much smaller. But the Platinum only comes with a black interior which I didn't care for....

Doh!! Posted before I had my coffee!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back