New toy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Slick17601
I have mine running a couple of lights, tv and cable box to get it broken in. I've noticed some fluctuation in the lights....I haven't changed out the Chinese spark plug yet. Will a change to an Autolite of NGK take care of the minor surging?

You may be seeing voltage fluctuation due to changes in load power. With nothing but incandescent lamps you should see a pretty constant voltage with little to no change in the intensity of the lamps. If you add a dynamic load like a refrigerator that cycles on/off you'll definitely see some brightening/dimming, this is normal and is to be expected as the governor can not respond instantaneously to load changes and the generator has a fixed and non-zero output impedance.

If you're seeing line voltage changes with just incandescent lamps then you may have a carburetor issue. I'd change the Chinese sparkplug just on principle but I'd be a little surprised if it clears up a hunting/surging problem.

^ esp on a 2 stroke a spark problem will show up as "4 stroking" which has its own distinct sound. As said above, the governor has to take time to react.

TVs and computers actually have really good capability for wierd loads with their switching power supplies. However, if your load is mostly electronics, when the volts dip, the amp draw goes up, which is a catch-22 you hope the generator will recover from.

Mine is running better after filling with a gallon of premium mixed with Amsoil Sabre. Also added an Autolite 64 plug. I think I'll keep it as a backup to my Echo 5500E.

I now have 7 hours on mine. The first 4-5 hours were no load, then I plugged in some fans into a power strip and left them on high for about 2 hours. Then yesterday I got in another hour of run time, probably more, on a 300 watt halogen floor lamp.

With the fans you really couldn't tell if it was working to power them. With the 300 watt lamp you could tell it had begun working to power it with that little bit of load.

I'm planning on running it a couple more hours tomorrow with the lamp and probably leave it at that during the rest of the break in period.

After that 25 hours I will probably see what it can do with some of my space heaters... I do need to find the paperwork on them.

I picked up a little Gizmo at HF today. It shows Amps, Volts and Watts. I got out my older generator and I plugged in my TV , battery tender and my Space heater on low and It showed 6.x Amps, 113 volts and 780 Watts. Pretty neat. Now I wont be overloading my generator.

Got out the new generator. This one I have dedicated to my moms Oxygen generator(we do have bottles as a backup incase the generator died). This one was overcharging a little.

This is what I got.

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandisi...ster-65731.html

It was showing 3.x Amps, 127 volts and 380 watts. I adjusted it down to 115-117v and left it at that.

Well, Thanks for the post. I went to my local HF store and they had about 6 of the 900W refurbished units selling for $65 and I was about to get one when I noticed there was one 2200/2400 watt 5.5HP 4 stroke one sitting there with a repo tag on it. It was priced at $200 with a 5 day warranty. I asked the store manager how much he was willing to accept if I took it right now. He said $150
shocked.gif
So now I have a 2200W 20amp generator running outside as we speak. I ordered a Bosch spark plug ($1.65) from Rock Auto and refilled the crankcase with 25w40 marine oil I had on the shelf. Then tightened it all up and added 2 gallons of gas with gum-out and some marine stabil. When I got it the fuel petcock was left open and the oil smelled of gas. So it was hard starting and now that it has run for 2 hours it is running fine. I am sure the new spark plug will make for easier starting as it seems the Chinese plugs are very poor quality.

I hope this thing works out.

I picked one of these up today,and it seems to do real well for what it is. I bought it mainly for my mother inlaws house in case a storm knocks her power out.I also put in the autolite 64just in case.

Actually I pulled up the paperwork online and found out that the "Low" setting of my plug in space heater is 600 watts.
Perfect for breaking the small generator in.

The "Medium" setting is 900 watts.

Together they are "High" and a full 1500 watts.

I don't try the Medium setting as it gets really hot, almost to uncomfortable to be near it, and the "High" flips the circuit breakers in my house. I'm not sure if my breakers, which are in a 2 year old panel, are sensitive, or if there is something in the space heater that causes something to detect an arc. But on the "High" setting I bet I could probably heat the majority of my house.
A 1500 watt space heater is a LOT of heating.

All we normally do is use the "low" setting. So this is a good test of the generator and its capability.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Are you sure that heater is 750 watts? Most heaters are 1000 watts on low and 1500 on high.
Ya I bought this one specifically for the trailer and generator.

Just updating you guys. Been running it on nights and weekends for a few hours at a time.

I am finally closing in on the recommended 25 hour break in period.

I've figured out some things.

This little gen set likes things a bit more rich than your standard 50:1 Stihl 2 cycle oil.
It runs quite a bit more smoothly when I add about 1 fluid oz of Marvel Mystery Oil to the mix.
When I go out to the MMO website it gives instructions about substituting MMO for 2 cycle oil in small amounts.
From their site: "Replace 25% of the 2-cycle oil with MMO. For example, if use 8oz of 2-cycle oil, replace 2oz of 2-cycle with 2oz of MMO at oil change."
I find this interesting as I figured that MMO had more qualities to do with the solvent properties of Gasoline than it did with the lubricant properties of Oil.

Also, Using my Autolite 64 plug mine seems to like the plug gap around .030 - .032 instead of the .030 - .028
I've been playing with the plug gap a bit. Pulling the plug and taking a look about every 4-5 hours.
It seems to have less 4 stroking with the larger gap and be running more smoothly.

Last thing is this.
I kind of want to see if I cant trick this one out maybe see if I cant tweak the throttle to get more out of the little 2 stroke engine.

I will have to do a little more research. But I am pretty sure that I have seen some other reviews that have done the same thing.

If yall have any links to forward me please do so. I will be going back through threads and attempting to figure out what others have done before me.

on these units i think it is the gen head that is the limiter, not the engine. With my killawatt meter one 500watt shop light pulls about 510 watts. when I hook two up to it it pulls about 925watts... so my guess is it just cant put out anymore power.

while my bigger 2200 watt generator, if you try and pull to much the engine will heavily bog (below 100volts) or flat out stall.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Well, Thanks for the post. I went to my local HF store and they had about 6 of the 900W refurbished units selling for $65 and I was about to get one when I noticed there was one 2200/2400 watt 5.5HP 4 stroke one sitting there with a repo tag on it. It was priced at $200 with a 5 day warranty. I asked the store manager how much he was willing to accept if I took it right now. He said $150
shocked.gif
So now I have a 2200W 20amp generator running outside as we speak. I ordered a Bosch spark plug ($1.65) from Rock Auto and refilled the crankcase with 25w40 marine oil I had on the shelf. Then tightened it all up and added 2 gallons of gas with gum-out and some marine stabil. When I got it the fuel petcock was left open and the oil smelled of gas. So it was hard starting and now that it has run for 2 hours it is running fine. I am sure the new spark plug will make for easier starting as it seems the Chinese plugs are very poor quality.

What a steal for 150

Tell us SuperDave456,

What type of smooth-ometer are you using and have you had it calibrated lately?

I love these "seems to run much smoother after adding "fill in the blank" snake oil to the fuel/oil......

No science - no measurement - no proof.

Never underestimate the power of suggestion.

My smooth-ometer is my ear... and my wife telling me something different is happening out there.

I put it outside the window of my back porch, which is next to the TV. It is pretty much background noise most of the time.

I sit it there and listen to it while it churns for hours...and hours. You can hear it fluctuate in RPM depending on how much your equipment is cycling on and off. (Space heaters turned down low make for a good experience.)

You are right though. I need to get some kind of volt meter and hook it up.
I also need to pull valve covers and drop the oil pan on my car, as well as send in samples to get tested for every OCI I do.
I Guess I'm lazy.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Tell us SuperDave456,

I love these "seems to run much smoother after adding "fill in the blank" snake oil to the fuel/oil......

Borat, I work in a science field and can tell you that "science, measurement, and proof" are often about as inaccurate as the "smoothometer".

SuperDave's use of the word "seems" is enough to put his findings in context.

Maybe SuperDave is an "engine whisperer"! I am just the opposite....can't tell the difference in different brake pads, spark plugs, whatever.

I enjoy people sharing their experiences for what they are worth. There's always something new to learn.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Tell us SuperDave456,

Borat, I work in a science field and can tell you that "science, measurement, and proof" are often about as inaccurate as the "smoothometer".

Maybe SuperDave is an "engine whisperer"! I am just the opposite....can't tell the difference in different brake pads, spark plugs, whatever.

I enjoy people sharing their experiences for what they are worth. There's always something new to learn.

Personally, I have a real problem understanding how pouring one oz. of snake oil into a tank of fuel can be "heard, felt, or seemed to make an engine be smoother. I just don't buy it.

Being a scientist, you should "Never underestimate the power of suggestion."

However, despite the bovine excrement quotient, it does make for entertainment.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Originally Posted By: Doog
shocked.gif

What a steal for 150

Just got back from HF & if the Gen I saw is the same as yours, it was 349.95 - Calif.
I should of told the lady "Hey!... that's 150 now!" but she didn't speak engrish berry well - so I minimize conversation as much as possible.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Tell us SuperDave456,

Personally, I have a real problem understanding how pouring one oz. of snake oil into a tank of fuel can be "heard, felt, or seemed to make an engine be smoother. I just don't buy it.

Being a scientist, you should "Never underestimate the power of suggestion."

However, despite the bovine excrement quotient, it does make for entertainment.

Uhh, actually I thought I did a good job saying that the little 2 stroke engine liked something a little more than the 50:1 mix.
And that Marvel Mystery Oil in this application makes the mix something like 40:1 or 32:1.

I will cease to make any posts until I learn Latin so that I can post my assumptions in a more proper scientific format.

I also sincerely apologize that I have had much success with my non-scientific approach towards a $89 Chinese built toy.

I hereby sentence myself to a non-fiction book!

No offense SuperDave456.

We see so many posts where a person does something of virtually no significance to an engine yet their hearing appears to be so acute that they can hear the oil molecules interacting with the metal molecules more precisely than before they performed their miraculous act.

I've been down the additive road and came to the abundantly clear conclusion that they're virtually useless for cleaning anything out other than your wallet.

I've done tests with various additives by soaking a piston from a two cycle engine with carboned up rings and even dirty carb parts in pure concentrations of the product(s). In every test, there was no discerning cleaning effect.

So when I hear people claim that a teaspoon liquid cryptonite mixed into an oil tanker of non-ethanol fuel straightened out a bent connecting rod, I feel the necessity to challenge such unsubstantiated results.

People can make claims that their magic elixir of choice performed every possible cleaning chore an engine could possibly need but without substantiation, it's fiction. If there is no known, measured or proven effect what's the value of the info for people looking for good info?

After all, people come here for real information to deal with real problems, not fairy tales or endorsements of products that do virtually nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back