New tools

I am working on remodeling my house on the cheap. I haven't done construction in about 30 years so I was doing hammer, corded drill with a Kolbalt reciprocate saw and Craftsman skill saw. SLOW IS AN UNDERSTAMENT. I got Dewalt 12" trim saw for 99.00 on sale about 6 months ago. Now that I am trying to speed it up so I purchased Makita 18v lxt drill combo (99.00) a couple of days ago hoping to get a cordless finish nailer but to expensive. Today I purchased a Craftsman cordless finish nailer for 199.00 so hopefully I am set up for awhile. I know Craftsman got bought out by Stanley Black and Decker which also builds Dewalt so hopefully this will last past its 3 year warranty. Anyone have any experience with 20 volt Craftsman? I would hate to tell wife I need a compressor and another finish nailer.

There is nothing better than lying to the wife when having to purchase tools or guns.
Unless she is in a wheelchair and finds out. I am her caregiver so I don't want her mad as I pay dearly for it. (Opps I had an accident and need cleaning) LOL

It doesn't matter how much the tools cost. Just remind her that even the most expensive tools cost far less than hiring someone else to do the work! (I've used that line at least 100 times)

It doesn't matter how much the tools cost. Just remind her that even the most expensive tools cost far less than hiring someone else to do the work! (I've used that line at least 100 times)
In all honesty my wife doesn't care what I buy, I'm very lucky. I would just hate to be looking up from below, or down from above knowing someone got a deal, at my expense. LOL

I am working on remodeling my house on the cheap. I haven't done construction in about 30 years so I was doing hammer, corded drill with a Kolbalt reciprocate saw and Craftsman skill saw. SLOW IS AN UNDERSTAMENT. I got Dewalt 12" trim saw for 99.00 on sale about 6 months ago. Now that I am trying to speed it up so I purchased Makita 18v lxt drill combo (99.00) a couple of days ago hoping to get a cordless finish nailer but to expensive. Today I purchased a Craftsman cordless finish nailer for 199.00 so hopefully I am set up for awhile. I know Craftsman got bought out by Stanley Black and Decker which also builds Dewalt so hopefully this will last past its 3 year warranty. Anyone have any experience with 20 volt Craftsman? I would hate to tell wife I need a compressor and another finish nailer.
If I was doing remodeling projects on a 30 year cycle I'd probably stick with the corded Skil saw.
30 years from now any battery operated tool is going to be long obsolete and non functional.

If I was doing remodeling projects on a 30 year cycle I'd probably stick with the corded Skil saw.
30 years from now any battery operated tool is going to be long obsolete and non functional.
I just moved here to my Dad's old place 2 years ago. Did construction 30 years ago but went to the automotive industry until I retired. Hopefully I will be here for awhile as this is my ten year plan as all done paid in full. Can't afford to hire someone.

Back to the OP's question, the older Craftsman 19.2V were pathetic but I would not hesitate to get the new Craftsman tools, especially if the batteries interchange with other brands. If you already have other brands, there is no reason to have multiple batteries/chargers for the various brands. IMO just pick one that meets your needs and stick to it.

Back