New tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finding myself torquing a lot cylinder heads down as of late......I've put off buying an electronic 1/2" drive torque wrench about as long as I can. The shop has a "community" Matco electronic 1/2"......Put it gets dropped &/or damaged far to often!

My Snap-on rep gave me a real good trade-in amount for my 1/2" drive TorqueOmeter, More than a 28 year old torque wrench is worth in my opinion!!
He was having trouble moving a green handled one......So I got 30% off retail. I don't care about "color coordinating" my tools that seems to be the latest fad!!!
Walked off the truck for $210 dollars cash. Didn't really want to give my last TorqueOmeter.....But they're outdated!

Tech-Angle Part# ATECH3F300GB, I didn't measure the length....But it's LONG, Ought to make the cylinder head install on a 2013 Expedition 3V 5.4L I got on Monday go a lot smoother!
This might come up it the comments......This wrench calculates Angle & counts the bolts as you Torque/+Angle. A video explaining the features if interested HERE.

[Linked Image]

This is the first electronic torque wrench I bought @ 9 years ago, 3/8" drive Tech-Wrench. It doesn't have near the features of the later Tech-Angle line......But I still like it nonetheless. My biggest gripe is the end-cap.....It's real easy to have it screw off if you pull on the very end of the wrench. The wrench will lose power & the angle calculation.
Just got it calibrated....So I'll rock it for at least another year before upgrading to a new model. It also uses the old style 36 tooth ratchet head & I'm completely spoiled by the 80 tooth heads.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by demarpaint
That is an impressive tool, and you get it for a very reasonable price.

He really wanted that green torque wrench off his truck!
I just hope it does Rotational Torque like the TorqueOmeter did, I don't do near as many differential builds as I used to....But that could change?

Originally Posted by clinebarger
Originally Posted by demarpaint
That is an impressive tool, and you get it for a very reasonable price.

He really wanted that green torque wrench off his truck!
I just hope it does Rotational Torque like the TorqueOmeter did, I don't do near as many differential builds as I used to....But that could change?

The color wouldn't matter to me, I would have taken pink for that price. LOL It looks like there is a bit of a learning curve. I'm sure it will serve you well!

I like it and the price too, you got a good deal, the angle feature is very cool. It could be purple with flames and I wouldn't care. I don't get this color coordinating tool handle colors business, who cares as long as its a good tool and does the job.

I'm more than sure I paid more than that for my snappy torque wrench 30+ years ago, you got a really good deal!

Electronic? I was thinking electric drive! Like an impact gun. Big block Chevy's used to really give me a workout! I've never heard of a digital read/electronic torque wrench. Now I have, Nice.

That looks sweet. Price is pretty darn good especially for someone who uses it for work

I'm jealous! I just don't bother with torque wrenches. The loaner one at the parts store I work at has been so abused it's probably less accurate than just not using a torque wrench...

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
I'm more than sure I paid more than that for my snappy torque wrench 30+ years ago, you got a really good deal!

Electronic? I was thinking electric drive! Like an impact gun. Big block Chevy's used to really give me a workout! I've never heard of a digital read/electronic torque wrench. Now I have, Nice.

Let's keep in mind that I traded in a really nice albeit old Snap-on TorqueOmeter that cost around $500+ when new.

Let's keep in mind that I traded in a really nice albeit old Snap-on TorqueOmeter that cost around $500+ when new.

What do the truck guys do with these trade in tools? Do they make up the discount by selling them on ebay? Or does snap on give them trade in value? What does snap on do with the older tools?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spasm3

What do the truck guys do with these trade in tools? Do they make up the discount by selling them on ebay? Or does snap on give them trade in value? What does snap on do with the older tools?

They generally sale them on their route. Snap-on is very strict about selling tools outside ones route, You could lose your franchise over it!
I imagine he had a buyer lined-up.....

On the flip side of that, He could have gotten the torque wrench he sold me at a Snap-on trade show at a deep discount/package deal etc etc.

He probably has the best route in Fort Worth as he serves the "Autobahn Group" dealers directly west of downtown (Porsche, Audi, VW, Jaguar, BMW, Volvo, & Land Rover)

That's how I got my almost new boxes, someone traded them in on Snap on. Great boxes but the guy had to keep up with the others I guess because the ones he bought were almost the same size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back