New tool thread

453D9888-80AB-418E-83CA-AAC56D788EB3.jpeg

Two new Craftsman USA screwdrivers from the Ace Hardware annual new years 50% off sale. Went to 5 Ace Stores only found a total of 9 USA screwdrivers left these were two of them. I need the number 4 Phillips for my Beetle and the flat head I just got for my Craftsman USA collection cause I didn’t have that one yet. I also found some old stock USA made dies from Irwin but I already went inside that location three times as had my parents and the manager said we couldn’t take advantage of the discount anymore so didn’t get them. At the other stores not really any tools I needed or wanted so I got some Duke Cannon soap and some other stuff.

Nice! have not seen a kennedy chest. I have a small kennedy tool box, wrinkle finish. Its well make. Looks like a nice chest!
They’re made in Van Wert, OH. Much heavier and better than other cabinets that I’ve seen. Not huge but I didn’t want that. There are a lot of small drawers for hopefully organizing small tools and odds and ends. I can hope at least… I’m not the most organized. I may enlist my wife to do it for me, she loves that stuff :)

Kennedy are top quality I believe and I think maybe known more as machinists chests than mechanics chests. The drawers are thinner because machinists tools and equipment require less drawer depth than mechanics?

..... Went to 5 Ace Stores only found a total of 9 USA screwdrivers left these were two of them. I need the number 4 Phillips for my Beetle....
I owned 2 air cooled VWs during the 1970s, but don't remember needing a big #4 Phillips to work on them. What will they fit on your Beetle?

Kennedy are top quality I believe and I think maybe known more as machinists chests than mechanics chests. The drawers are thinner because machinists tools and equipment require less drawer depth than mechanics?
Ive been through a lot of manufacturing sites and I see them often.

I bought it from a machinist.

The drawers are heavy, the steel is strong, there is no flex. No, it’s not really intended for a bunch of sledges and impact guns, but I doubt any really is. I was really surprised how heavy the base cabinet is.

Regardless of what it’s known for, it will work perfect.

Ive been through a lot of manufacturing sites and I see them often.

I bought it from a machinist.

The drawers are heavy, the steel is strong, there is no flex. No, it’s not really intended for a bunch of sledges and impact guns, but I doubt any really is. I was really surprised how heavy the base cabinet is.

Regardless of what it’s known for, it will work perfect.

Friction slides on machinist boxes have always confused me. There seems to me a misconception that machinist tooling is light(er). Nothing could be further from the truth.

Brazed carbide or insert tooling is basically small solid chunks of steel. In quantity they add up, QUICKLY

1-2-3 and 2-4-6 blocks are arguably heavier by volume than any mechanics' tools

Fly cutters: solid steel. Insert mills: solid steel. Dowel pins: solid steel. Vise stops: solid steel.

Specialty vise jaws: usually solid steel (aluminum or acetal is possible)

Tapping heads: steel

Jo-blocks, gage pins, broach kits, key stock: solid steel. Squares, parallels, angle plates: solid steel

Chucking reamers get heavy in a hurry in quantity, even in smaller drawers

And on and on and on.

When I was employed full-time as a machinist I found working out of a ball bearing box to be a joy.

NOT knocking anyone's purchases here, just musing about something in the industry I find baffling (shrug)

Friction slides on machinist boxes have always confused me. There seems to me a misconception that machinist tooling is light(er). Nothing could be further from the truth.

Brazed carbide or insert tooling is basically small solid chunks of steel. In quantity they add up, QUICKLY

1-2-3 and 2-4-6 blocks are arguably heavier by volume than any mechanics' tools

Fly cutters: solid steel. Insert mills: solid steel. Dowel pins: solid steel. Vise stops: solid steel.

Specialty vise jaws: usually solid steel (aluminum or acetal is possible)

Tapping heads: steel

Jo-blocks, gage pins, broach kits, key stock: solid steel. Squares, parallels, angle plates: solid steel

Chucking reamers get heavy in a hurry in quantity, even in smaller drawers

And on and on and on.

When I was employed full-time as a machinist I found working out of a ball bearing box to be a joy.

NOT knocking anyone's purchases here, just musing about something in the industry I find baffling (shrug)
They’re really smooth. I loaded up a drawer how I’d have it with some sledges and other heavy stuff and it came out just fine.

I didn’t want something too huge and unwieldy. I like to be able to move stuff in my garage/shop as needed.

I did notice that the two bottom bases are different ages based upon variations on the finishes, handles, and how the drawer slides are attached. The smaller side has removable slides that can be upgraded to ball bearing if I need to. The bigger right side doesn’t, but I think it will be fine. I’m not working from it five days a week.

F50E3E8E-550A-46FC-968E-62843E669F7A.jpeg

0CCDD1B4-36DB-46EA-953C-9865DD312B82.jpeg

Nice little Mac haul today. A pair of socks with orange letters. A hot girl calendar, straight whiskey beef jerky. I love whiskey and it tastes just like it and smells like it too. Better be careful eating that on the clock it says made with real alcohol lol 😂. Free nail brush, free note pad, free pocket pry bar and free pocket screwdrivers in red and green. And a warranty replacement flathead screwdriver 🪛 . Had an old hard handle one from the pawn shop and I keep forgetting to ask about so today I remembered lol. Asked and the only question he asked me was will a new style handle be ok or do you want me to order a hard handle I said I’ll take the new handle one no problem. He said here you go. Didn’t ask where I got it or anything like that. So that’s a plus one in my book I’m not too big on their tools but I’ll still buy a few small things from him. As you can see by the notepad and nail brush and calendar is he has been doing this longer than I’ve been alive so he is doing something right and I forgive him for not being able to make it every week due to health issues that’s not something anyone can control. He is a lot better than the Mac dealers that I had before. So if you are in the New River Valley or close by and need some tools give him a call.

Back