New tool thread

If my marriage suffers due to tool expenditures I lay the blame at @The Critic 's feet for starting a thread about the AES terminal test kit
20221122_090649.jpg

Proto 1/2” drive, 16” long, USA
Astra Hose Clamp Pliers, China
$70 delivered from Zoro

I’m pleased with the Proto ratchet. Intermediate length gives me more leverage. Sockets are far easier to remove than the Williams/Snap-On it replaces. Made in USA. At $40 it will serve me well.

Attachments

• E01DC384-F6EB-4514-BBE0-D474B1E25E39.jpeg
    E01DC384-F6EB-4514-BBE0-D474B1E25E39.jpeg
    114.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Not exactly new......I bought a couple work benches from a machine shop that was going out of business. Got one cleaned up, Welded some Casters on the legs, Mounted a new USA made Wilton 1765 Vise, Trans holding fixture & my Snap-Press base.

The benches had Prentiss Bulldog Vises mounted, But they wanted too much for them for the condition they were in.
Benches were covered in a greasy crust that I had to scrap off in sheets....Probably 5 pounds worth. Then I hit it with some lacquer thinner to dry it off, Knocked down some errand welds with a 80 grit green corps pad.....Then a couple passes with a orbital sander & 120 grit.
Wiped it down with some ATF 4 or 5 times to keep it from flash rusting.

These are the heaviest benches of this type I've ever seen, They weigh @300 pounds & have huge piano hinges for the legs to fold up. Has US-OMC stamped on them, Saw some olive green paint & red oxide primer while sanding the top. Not sure of the year or if they were originally built for the military??

It replaces a work bench that had a wooden/particle board core top with a sheet metal skin, It was starting to sag pretty bad in the middle, I'd like to re-top it with 3/16" steel plate one day.....

nV4yh6p.jpg

2p67YLv.jpg

uo52M2F.jpg

7V4EqYQ.jpg

These pipe wrench arrived a month ago, finally unboxed them this morning. Amazon sells them for a pretty good discount, but takes about a month for shipping. I don't have a need for these at the moment, but if or when I do, I can't easily get these local so I think wise to have them sitting in the box. Quality seems a bit questionable.

PXL_20221124_163817342.jpg

Originally Posted by Little_Lebowski
My shop has a beer fridge. Bought a case of this to stock it. Good stuff. Reminds me of my ex-wife...

The Name or her alcohol content??

Name. Absolutely the name.

The alcohol content helps dull the pain of that chapter in my life...
Been there suffered through it, yet I survived ,, barely.

Not exactly new......I bought a couple work benches from a machine shop that was going out of business. Got one cleaned up, Welded some Casters on the legs, Mounted a new USA made Wilton 1765 Vise, Trans holding fixture & my Snap-Press base.

The benches had Prentiss Bulldog Vises mounted, But they wanted too much for them for the condition they were in.
Benches were covered in a greasy crust that I had to scrap off in sheets....Probably 5 pounds worth. Then I hit it with some lacquer thinner to dry it off, Knocked down some errand welds with a 80 grit green corps pad.....Then a couple passes with a orbital sander & 120 grit.

These are the heaviest benches of this type I've ever seen, They weigh @300 pounds & have huge piano hinges for the legs to fold up. Has US-OMC stamped on them, Saw some olive green paint & red oxide primer while sanding the top. Not sure of the year or if they were originally built for the military??

It replaces a work bench that had a wooden/particle board core top with a sheet metal skin, It was starting to sag pretty bad in the middle, I'd like to re-top it with 3/16" steel plate one day.....

nV4yh6p.jpg

2p67YLv.jpg

uo52M2F.jpg

7V4EqYQ.jpg
That Wilton is a thing of beauty! I’m a fan…
DE3FDDF2-3D62-4678-8AA7-6DCAEFB88F1A.jpeg

These pipe wrench arrived a month ago, finally unboxed them this morning. Amazon sells them for a pretty good discount, but takes about a month for shipping. I don't have a need for these at the moment, but if or when I do, I can't easily get these local so I think wise to have them sitting in the box. Quality seems a bit questionable.

View attachment 127687
@GON Why is the quality questionable?

Two new tools that have really impressed me, both purchased because of recommendations in this thread.

The sparkplug socket set from Nepros (KTC) are simply great - just did the 24 plugs on my wife’s car and the rare earth magnet in the socket works perfectly.
A6AB08BC-4B30-40B5-8670-F39E0954EF53.jpeg

23DDCC38-03E9-468C-9B79-6BD0A3027ECF.jpeg

Shown with the spark plug socket is the set of Snapon pliers someone recommended. They work really, really well.

In the plug wells on this car are silicone insulators, slippery to grab, and they stick to the plugs after so many heat cycles. Regular needle nose just slip off. These grab and pop them right out. So nice!

@GON Why is the quality questionable?
DT,

First full disclosure- the reviews on AMZN for these wrenches included multiple posts and pictures of the tool failing. Reviews stated quality/ strength was in question.

When unboxed the wrenches, they simply didn't feel precise. A bit sloppy. But take my initial observation with a grain of salt, I was already on the alert for a quality issue in the wrenches. I have yet to actually use them. It may be a wrench of this design has an inherent nature to be a bit sloppy.

Time will tell if these are as well made as prior exact models. But my gut says don't bet the farm on these wrenches tacking a licking and keep on ticking.

nV4yh6p.jpg

2p67YLv.jpg

uo52M2F.jpg

7V4EqYQ.jpg
I have that top bench. A friend was moving and couldn't take it. No hammer has a chance... Weighs a ton!

Two new tools that have really impressed me, both purchased because of recommendations in this thread.

The sparkplug socket set from Nepros (KTC) are simply great - just did the 24 plugs on my wife’s car and the rare earth magnet in the socket works perfectly.View attachment 128181

View attachment 128183

Shown with the spark plug socket is the set of Snapon pliers someone recommended. They work really, really well.

In the plug wells on this car are silicone insulators, slippery to grab, and they stick to the plugs after so many heat cycles. Regular needle nose just slip off. These grab and pop them right out. So nice!
I want that pair of Snap On pliers but they are expensive. I was going to buy them off of the Snap On website last night but they wanted almost $19 to ship and over $7 in taxes so $90 in total so I passed. Maybe I can find them cheaper some day.

I’ve mentioned my Prentiss vise before but don’t think I’ve posted a photo. Bought it from a guy in Staten Island from whom I had bought another vise. A Snap On (made by Wilton). While I was standing in his shop chatting, I admired the Prentiss. He mentioned it was for sale. I asked him what he wanted. $400. I have no idea if that reasonable or not, and frankly, don’t even care. I pulled $400 from my wallet and bought it on the spot.

Now, I just need a bench worthy of that old vise. I’ve got some white oak, and I’m halfway through building a work table. The Prentiss will look good on it, I reckon.
2F3C867E-383D-47D5-9C62-2A04293C1276.jpeg

Might as well post up the Snap On.

I would rather have a restored antique, US-made vise over all the Chinese junk out there…

59847201-2094-4B08-9985-EEEB5E5F6757.jpeg

Back