New (to me) piston soak technique

The piston soak seemed to have dramatically reduced my oil consumption. After 300 miles, my oil level is about half a centimeter below full. I suppose I'll keep checking it and try my best to keep the engine (piston rings) clean.

Last edited:
The piston soak seemed to have dramatically reduced my oil consumption. After 300 miles, my oil level is about half a centimeter below full. I suppose I'll keep checking it and try my best to keep the engine (piston rings) clean.
I'm sure a quality sunthetic with reasonable OCIs will help keep the rings clean and unclogged.

Did you rev the engine up to 1200 rpm or just let it idle? I just noticed I double gasket-ed my drain plug last time and I was leaking oil. This time, my consumption is way down. I may try another can next oci.
Yes I followed the online instructions. On my second flush I let it idle at normal rpm for 30mins with new ST oil and filter.

The rings are a symptom, not the cause. Unclog the holes, the rings wont be a problem.

Attachments

• CIMG8977-1.jpg
    CIMG8977-1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 299
  • piston_600.jpg
    piston_600.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 301
Thanks for asking/reminding me to follow up. I ended up getting new pistons and a new cat. It's much better now (smoother/quieter). It's too soon to tell what the oil consumption rate is exactly, but it's much less than before. It seems most of the oil consumption since the rebuild was in the first few hundred miles. I'm just glad the CEL is off and I don't have to change the spark plugs every couple months. I'm going to dump the break-in fill in the next day or so and see/let you all know how she does with a normal OCI. I think it was a worthy investment since the car is a real cherry otherwise. :)

Thanks for asking/reminding me to follow up. I ended up getting new pistons and a new cat. It's much better now (smoother/quieter). It's too soon to tell what the oil consumption rate is exactly, but it's much less than before. It seems most of the oil consumption since the rebuild was in the first few hundred miles. I'm just glad the CEL is off and I don't have to change the spark plugs every couple months. I'm going to dump the break-in fill in the next day or so and see/let you all know how she does with a normal OCI. I think it was a worthy investment since the car is a real cherry otherwise. :)
Did you get pistons with the larger/more oil return passages?

They were Toyota pistons, same part number but redesigned. Same number of return holes, (four each side) but they protruded down lower with a different taper? It's hard to explain, but the holes look like they were tilted downward slightly. Also the oil rings were a three piece set (old ones were just a spring under the ring) that seemed stiffer and harder to compress.

Yes that's it! Oil consumption will get even better during this first oil change. Just stay with a quality synthetic and it won't happen again.

I did something similar on a Santa Fe 2.7l, with an OOPS.

removed all plugs. Did the back (firewall) side first. Poured cleaner in plug holes, let sit for an hour, sucked out remaining with skinny tube and vac, then placed rags over holes. Cranked engin (no plugs no start). White shop rags were brown and had carbon flakes.
FF to front, same process except the stage where I was ready to vac out excess,, got vac and tube ready, cell phone rings. 30 minutes on the phone. Back to engine bay, forgot to vac of excess fluid, cranked engine, rags blew off and now my garage ceiling has seafoam-supertech equivelant on it with flakes, 😅.

Not sure about starting engine with fluid atop the pistons, I'm not that brave.

Back