New to me John Deere Z915e zero turn mower.

I purchased a used 2018 John Deere Z915e Zero turn mower and trailer from a gentleman here in Texas. It had 117 hours on it and in great shape.

Completed oil/filter change (**** oil drain bolt was stuck). Used OEM Deere oil 10/30 and filter.

20220627_162148.jpg

20220719_135458.jpg

Any other oil recommendations or should I stick with OEM?

Super fun to drive and do yard work.

You’re in Texas, I would use a 10w40 at a minimum. I have a 25 HP Kohler on my Gravely and like a 15W40 diesel oil. Motorcraft Super Duty 15W40 or Rotella T5 15W40 are my top choices.
I hope you have an operators manual. It will tell you the service intervals on the hydrostatic transaxles. At 117 hours the hydros should have been serviced. If not, you will need to do it.

You’re in Texas, I would use a 10w40 at a minimum. I have a 25 HP Kohler on my Gravely and like a 15W40 diesel oil. Motorcraft Super Duty 15W40 or Rotella T5 15W40 are my top choices.
I hope you have an operators manual. It will tell you the service intervals on the hydrostatic transaxles. At 117 hours the hydros should have been serviced. If not, you will need to do it.

Ok, thanks for the info sir. Will look into it. Appreciate it.

+1 the Hydros should be serviced if they haven’t been already.

Last edited:
My sons Hustler has a Kohler engine that’s been trouble free for a decade. That 7iron deck (7 gauge stamped steel) is practically indestructible. (y) Are there zerk fittings on the deck spindles?

My sons Hustler has a Kohler engine that’s been trouble free for a decade. That 7iron deck (7 gauge stamped steel) is practically indestructible. (y) Are there zerk fittings on the deck spindles?
Yes, under the plastic covers. Already cleaned and greased up.

Nice mower! I'd also be running a 15w40, either Rotella or the JD Plus-50 like what is on the box in the first picture. Some Deere dealers have pretty good prices on their 15w40. My local dealer did until recently.

Nice mower! I would use 15w-40 in either the JD oil, or any good synthetic of your choice. The heavier oil will tend to make the air cooled motors run a little quieter and smoother. JD’s full synthetic is a really good oil, but I would use M1 or Rotella in a second and not look back.
I will also give you a little info that you may or may not be interested in. I had a 930m 60” deck, and have a 994r (diesel) now with the same deck. I put the mulch kit on both of them and have been very impressed with how good they work. They absolutely make clippings and leaves disappear, and don’t throw clippings everywhere. The kit also gets rid of the side flap so it makes the mower a little narrower.
If your 915 is like my 930&994, the manual will call for the hydros to be serviced at 300 hours. It certainly doesn’t hurt to do them early, but with your hours, I would put a little more time on it before doing so.

All the above recommendations are spot on as far as oil goes. Any 15w40 is good.
The most important thing is... after the mowing season, is to run it completely out of gas. Add a 1/4 gallon or so.. of AV gas 100LL. Drive where you are going to store it, Put on a Battery Tender ( or equivalent) and fire it up it the spring.
Don't rely on gas additives to keep the carb from "clogging" up. (Main jet, pilot jet) . If you do use pump gas with a additive... Chevron Tectron Marine is the best I have found. Trust me I rebuild or replace several carbs in the spring.

Back