New to me John Deere 425

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1994 Deere 425 All Wheel Steer with 2500 hours on it, and a 54" deck. I bought it new in 1995.

I had to go through the plastic cam gear issue, but mine didn't fail until around 2200 hours (I thought that I'd escaped the curse...) Neither of the local JD dealers had ever seen one go THAT many hours without a failure. They told me that most failed in the 750-1500 hour range. (I give credit to the Rotella T...)

I use Rotella T 10w-30 in it and change it once a year (~125 hours). I use either a Napa ProSelect or a Puro Classic filter.

I had the valve covers off of it at 2020 hours to change the weepy gaskets, and it was spotless underneath. The Rotella T 10w-30 works very well in this engine. There's no need for T6.

The hydro filter for mine is AM116156, and it is only around $8. I use the LoVis fluid, and my dealer charges $4.50 a quart for it.

Watch the gearbox on the deck carefully, they have a bad tendency to lose a seal quickly, and you'll burn it up and ruin the deck belt, which is a double-v that your dealer will charge up to $80 for. The gearbox on the deck is around $650. I was lucky enough to get mine at dealer cost, which was still around $400.

I get my deck belts off of eBay, and pay half of the dealer price.

I also use Gator Blades on it, and especially like the G6 model.

Just got done mowing with it for the first time. Wow what a difference from the old Craftsman. It took me about 2.5 hours to mow the yard with the Craftsman, I got it done in an hour and 45 min with the 425. We have a couple places where the grass is really thick. With the Craftsman I had to crawl through them and only cut maybe half the width of the deck, and it would bog down and clog the discharge chute. The 425 went right through these areas taking a full width cut without even slowing down.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig
So I take it you got the fluid changed in the trans?

Yes, I ended up going with the filter from NAPA and the Low Viscosity Hy-Gard from the JD dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back