New to me Craftsman lawn tractor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently picked up a "new to me" Craftsman lawn tractor... actually got it from my mom as her yard was a bit treacherous to mow on a riding mower. Only issue that I knew of from the start was a broken off anti-scalp wheel.

Got it home, cleaned it up, and discovered quite a bit of fraying/separation on the deck belt. Hopped onto Amazon to grab a replacement belt before I had the anti-scalp wheel welded back on and remounted the deck, but can't seem to discern the difference between the actual drive belt... and the deck belt (the drive belt looks fine).

The mower in question is: Craftsman 46" 917.289280 and the parts tag under the hood lists: ground drive belt part # 125907X and primary mower belt part #197253. Which is which? The more I think about it, the more one makes sense, then I think about it more and vice versa.

Also since I have the deck off I was just going to replace the blades (part #405380) since they are rather beat up... one I figure out which belt I actually need (whichever runs from the engine to the deck to turn the blades) I could definitely use some opinions on an Amazon belt choice and blades as well.

Anything I should look at/lube/jiggle since I have the deck off?

Thanks in advance!!!

The second belt listed #197253 is the mower deck belt. Drive belt is upper belt from engine to tranny.

As for blades, some recommend the gator blades, but I've found the a plain 'mulching' blade works quite well. It's an upgrade from the regular blade. Has a longer cutting length, and cuts more completely than regular blade. Like the ones linked below.

http://www.amazon.com/Poulan-46-Inch-Mul...ing+blade+46%22

Well... picked up the two links that I posted... hopefully sayjac was right (keeps making me think of Pat Sajak LOL).

...and best news of all, the S.O.'s step-father is going to weld the anti-scalp wheel back on for me for FREE.

Blades and belt should be here Wednesday, so if anyone wants to chime in on what to look at/lube/scrutinize on a Craftsman YTS4000 deck before I slap it together... feel free!!!

BTW I LOVE elipses! LOL

Gator blades seem to leave a strip of uncut grass in the middle on every craftsman mower I have run them on. I use OEM blades instead. The PIX belt I'm not too fond of either. They don't seem to last.

OEM belts and blades on Craftsman mowers is what I run.

I've run Oregon blades on my Craftsman, they seem very close to the OEM blades and are slightly cheaper. I like to stick with Gates or OEM belts, they seem to last better for me.

Main thing is to set that deck so it doesn't beat it self up against the ground. The wheels on this type of deck should be hanging in the air, even when mowing. They're there to roll over high and uneven spots only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back