New to me 2010 Mazda3 2.5l. Which oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time again: someone whipped a U-turn into my 2002 Protege5, totalling it. I bought a super-clean 2010 Mazda3, and I'm wondering what 0-20 oil you guys recommend now.

Coming from a Subaru background, I'm programmed to recoil at the thought of Mobil1.
laugh.gif

Threw TGMO 0W-20 in the Odyssey after 50k+ Miles since new using M1 0W-20. Noticed a heck of a difference at start up... Much, much quieter. But since you're in So Cal, cold mornings won't be an issue

I like M1 but there's a huge Pennzoil following here as well... Both have good cleaning properties for this new-to-you Mazda

Take a look thru the UOAs for some real world data

Congrats on the new car - Good luck with it...!

Last edited:
Google says TGMO is Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Toyota got a super-secret source or something?

It's a nice light oil to be sure with operating temp viscosity on par with Mobil 1

Can't tell you about the secret sauce - it's a secret.
wink.gif

TGMO is the best 0w20, no contest. Especially if you get a good price from your dealer. If you can't get it, M1 0w20 is hard to beat for the jug price at Walmart.

TGMO, Mazda, PP, M1, all great 0w20 choices, you probably can not go wrong with any of those. I prefer PP and TGMO, both have run quiet and smooth in my Accord, cant say the same for M1.

Well, I do have a friend who works at Toyota as a service advisor. Maybe I'll hit him up for some of this stuff...or just stick to PP.

The new Mazda 0W-20 is supposed to be pretty good stuff as well.

2010 was the last year 5W-20 dino was ok. I personally ran on the severe schedule with a steady diet of Valvoline or Chevron Supreme 5W20. However my short trip (6k annually) heavily justified dino 5W20 due to Mazda's rigid service schedule not giving any allowance for syn usage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back