New to me 2002 Blazer.

I was given a 2002 Blazer from my Daughter and son in law.
They bought a new 2022 Silverado and I got the Blazer free,I'm not sure this is good or bad.
It has been in my son in laws family since new and has had good care.
I have read a bunch on the common problems on the net but was wondering if anyone had first hand experience with this SUV.
It has 106K miles on it.

Had this '01 back in '06 for a little while and it was a pleasant small SUV. Didn't have any problems myself and parts are pretty cheap if it does need repairs. Don't know what they bring now, but 5 years ago I could buy nice ones all day long for under $1000.

01.JPG

It's a 20 year old vehicle, it's made it this far, the 4.3L V6 tends to be fairly reliable, the 4L60E is both proven and hated, they're okay but they have their issues, everything else on the car is 20 years old, so if it's been in an area where road salt is used rust will probably start becoming an issue especially on brake lines and power steering lines, suspension parts and bushings and stuff might be on their way out just because of the age, the plasticy door panels like to break with age. And if it's a Trailblazer with the 4.2L straight 6 and not a Blazer, just about all the same things apply, but the straight 6s were known for early valve seat wear and cracked cylinder liners, but if it's made it this far that's probably not a problem, the exhaust manifolds like to crack on the 4.2L.

Sold mine with 250k....replaced 3 drivers side wheel bearings....a radiator....2 fuel pumps....rear wheel bearings......heater core....intake manifold gasket and air pump.

Wow, that one didn't get driven a whole lot. Used to have an 03 Blazer. But yeah, plan on needing to fix the thing.

I own one now. Was bought 10 years ago with 150k for the kids to drive, all of them drove it for extended periods. Been to California and back to Colorado 10 times, I'd put gas in it and do it tomorrow without thinking about it. Very reliable, but yeah, stuff does break, but parts are cheap and everything is accessible. It's my airport beater now. Always starts, awesome in the snow with the right tires, and the heater will bake potatoes and the AC will make ice cubes. For what I could get for it I'll never sell it. If you want to sell yours and make a few bucks just yell.

I had a few of those old Blazers and really like like them. My first one was a red 1986 with a 2.8 engine and a 5 speed manual transmission. That was a gutless wonder and lasted for 100,000 miles and was still in great shape when I sold it. The 4.3's were an awesome engine and they were a blast to drive and maintain. I also had one with the 4.3 high output engine and that 4 door version would really get out there and go. Congrats on your gift of the Blazer.

Being the Blazer is from Colorado and not Illinois, Michigan, New York, etc you may have a very nice vehicle. If from a rust belt state, the fuel lines and brake pipe start to fail with nominal salt exposure as low as 60k miles. GM used the lowest quality steel for the brake pipes for these vehicles, almost criminal as most of these vehicles were sold to people in the rust belt, and this design was over 20 years old, and surely GM knew the design could not handle salt.

One example is on the blazer fuel pump, it allows salt to land on top of the fuel pump, but no place for the salt to wash out. SO salt just sits on top of the fuel pump corroding the fuel pipes on top of the pump, the fuel ring that secures the pump to the fuel tank, simply unforegiving arrogance for GM to allow this design. For $20 USD, GM could of designed these Blazers to never have rotted brake and fuel lines, but they screwed their mostly loyal customers, the people of the upper Midwest.

I was a loyal GM buyer since I was 16, but having a complete family driving S10 and Blazers since 1984, through a 2000 Bravada, I learned the GM cared less about its customers and slowly went away from GM, from my observation of the Blazer brake and fuel pipe used. As a comparison, most European auto manufacturers uses a copper nickel blend for their brake pipe, as to mitigate the salt corrosion issues that happen on steel brake pipe. On my 2000 Bravada, after the brake pipe failed at 60k miles, I replaced all the OEM crap steel brake pipe with copper nickel brake pipe.

Replace the fuel pump with a "new design" Delphi. The fuel pump will fail, and they are a pain in the butt to replace. You will want to have a lot of time, and when the tank is empty. You will also want the fuel pump ring removal tool. I would replace this is a summer when you don't need the vehicle.

The front end will need to be greased regularly, if memory serves me correctly 13 zirc points, yes 13.

Finally flush and regularly exchange the coolant. The heater core will also fail and that is a super pain to replace. Keeping the coolant as fresh as possible may help the longevity of the heater core.

Being the Blazer is from Colorado and not Illinois, Michigan, New York, etc you may have a very nice vehicle. If from a rust belt state, the fuel lines and brake pipe start to fail with nominal salt exposure as low as 60k miles. GM used the lowest quality steel for the brake pipes for these vehicles, almost criminal as most of these vehicles were sold to people in the rust belt, and this design was over 20 years old, and surely GM knew the design could not handle salt.

One example is on the blazer fuel pump, it allows salt to land on top of the fuel pump, but no place for the salt to wash out. SO salt just sits on top of the fuel pump corroding the fuel pipes on top of the pump, the fuel ring that secures the pump to the fuel tank, simply unforegiving arrogance for GM to allow this design. For $20 USD, GM could of designed these Blazers to never have rotted brake and fuel lines, but they screwed their mostly loyal customers, the people of the upper Midwest.

I was a loyal GM buyer since I was 16, but having a complete family driving S10 and Blazers since 1984, through a 2000 Bravada, I learned the GM cared less about its customers and slowly went away from GM, from my observation of the Blazer brake and fuel pipe used. As a comparison, most European auto manufacturers uses a copper nickel blend for their brake pipe, as to mitigate the salt corrosion issues that happen on steel brake pipe. On my 2000 Bravada, after the brake pipe failed at 60k miles, I replaced all the OEM crap steel brake pipe with copper nickel brake pipe.

Replace the fuel pump with a "new design" Delphi. The fuel pump will fail, and they are a pain in the butt to replace. You will want to have a lot of time, and when the tank is empty. You will also want the fuel pump ring removal tool. I would replace this is a summer when you don't need the vehicle.

The front end will need to be greased regularly, if memory serves me correctly 13 zirc points, yes 13.

Finally flush and regularly exchange the coolant. The heater core will also fail and that is a super pain to replace. Keeping the coolant as fresh as possible may help the longevity of the heater core.
Very true and correct. GM has been very slack on taking care of their customers. 1997 to 2004 Corvettes are famous for having a steering column lock up problem that will disable the vehicle and make it undriveable. I had the same 97 Corvette towed in twice in two days for this problem. GM was very well aware of it and made the customer pay for repairs which were very costly. I had to replace a heater core on an S-10 4x4 pickup and you are correct what a pain to get it repaired. I hope the new Blazer's are built better.

What GON said.
Mine is a generation earlier, but I've had to replace the brake lines and fuel lines. The vapor cannister is in a rust spot between the gas tank and left rear wheel. The top of the gas tank/fuel pump - lines rust there too.
All of the brake and fuel lines are available as pre-bent in stainless.
Take care of your trans fluid.

Add in the oil lines from engine to remote filter block and the o-rings for the transmission and oil cooler lines. They leak. Not a panic or deal killer. Just replace the engine to filter lines if you see leeks at the line crimps.

Mine had the central fuel injector in the throttle body. I replace it with a new spider that has individual injector valves at the end by each intake valve. Easy job and it is plug and play. I think yours may already have the updated spider.

Wife had a 2000,great little suv, got regular oil changes and maint. Only thing had to change was a water pump, sold it to her niece who drove it back to Kansas and wrecked it a year later. :(
IMG_0936.JPG

My dad has an 01 Blazer and a 05 Jimmy. His 2001 (2nd owner) has been reliable in the 13 years owning it. It has over 300k kms, only had to change front ball joints 3 times, 1 pitman arm, 1 fuel pump. He also used this as a newspaper delivery for 4 years.

The 2005 Jimmy was my favorite. Black 2 door with oem skirts/side steps. My dad got it in 2012 (2nd owner) and just had to change both L/R wheel bearing, L ball joint. Only has 168k kms, but the canadian salt winters is harsh and the chassis parts are rusting, but no holes in the floorboards yet.

My dad wanted to give me the Jimmy. I would have taken it if the underbody was a little less rusty.

A couple days ago we had a sub freezing night and it killed the 5 year old battery.
I bought a Diehard Red at advanced Auto for $100.00.
I hope it lasts 5 years like the old one.
Pretty easy install ,a little tight but OK.

They are nice little rigs that will run through any condition thrown at them!

I was always disappointed in the fuel mileage. That era SUV really like to drink fuel. A full size Yukon got similar mileage.

For a free rig though, not bad at all! I would certainly have accepted it.

Back