New to me 2001 Ford Explorer Sport @ 108,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donnie79
Originally Posted By: exranger06
Change the fluid. It is IMPOSSIBLE for a fluid change to damage a transmission. And this truck does NOT have a sealed transmission. It does not require any special tools.

Ford has used this style of transmissions for a number of years. A majority of them do have the sealed trans. and yes they do need a special tool to do fluid exchanges. I am a 10 year ASE certified mechanic and had to buy 1 of these tools from Ford

If by special tool you mean a 1/4" 18NPT barb end hose fitting to thread into the fill bolt and a $10 fluid pump for marine outboard oil filling, then I would agree with you.

OP - Go right ahead and change out that ATF with any Mercon V spec fluid. I went with MaxLife in my Mountaineer and used the above referenced tools to put the fluid back in. If the ATF cooler lines on your Explorer are accessable, pull them off of the radiator and aim them in a 5 gallon bucket and start the engine. Run it until the fluid starts to sputter out of the lines and shut it down and refill the trans. Repeat until you have fresh fluid coming out of the lines and put them back on the radiator and top off the trans. I went through about 13 quarts in a 12 quart system.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

If by special tool you mean a 1/4" 18NPT barb end hose fitting to thread into the fill bolt and a $10 fluid pump for marine outboard oil filling, then I would agree with you.

Once AGAIN, there is no fill bolt on this vehicle. You refill the trans by pouring fluid down the dipstick tube.

X2...The '01-'03 Sport shares absolutely nothing with the '02+ four door except the 4.0 V6, that's it.

The '01-'03 Sport (2-door) is mechanically a Ranger. The rear suspension is slightly different with the spring under axle setup and different shock mounting, but otherwise it's the same as a Ranger from engine to rear diff. Just look at the dashboard and you can tell what platform it's built on.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

Once AGAIN, there is no fill bolt on this vehicle. You refill the trans by pouring fluid down the dipstick tube.

The OP never confirmed or denied that there is a dipstick and tube yet, so I was just putting the info out there for him. My wife's 99 Mountaineer did not have a dipstick, so I'm going on that experience to try to help out as much as I can.

It has a dipstick-

It is going to get Castrol Mercon V and a new filter (Ford OEM)

I'm thinking I should do the Shocks as well anyone ever use the Monroe Sensatrac or Rancho ? Both are at my local AAP

I put a set of Sensatracs on my Sport and wasn't all that impressed. They weren't bad shocks, but they didn't really provide much of a noticeable improvement over the old, rotted out OE shocks.

A lot of times you can find Motorcraft shocks on Rock Auto for about $20 a piece.

I bought the load adjusting coil over Sensatrac's in for the rear and the normal upfront- I did it because Monroe was doing a rebate and I had a 40% coupon to AAP (40 off of $100) so all in all about
I should have spent the extra $45 and got the Rancho off road shocks...

They should be fine, and should have a lifetime warranty. The Sensatracs on my Sport at least didn't blow out like the Gas Matics that used to be on my truck.

The load adjusting coil shocks are probably a good idea. I'm not sure how many leaves '01s have in the spring packs, but my '95 had monoleafs, compared to 3 plus an overload spring on my Rangers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back