New to Direct Injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Corollas now have CVTs and a mix of both port and DI. So even their durability is going to take a hit going forward.

I wouldn’t believe everything in a You Tube video. The new Corolla will run for many years and many miles if properly taken care of.

I wouldn’t believe everything in a You Tube video. The new Corolla will run for many years and many miles if properly taken care of.
Sure, the engine might last its "first life", but I doubt it'll get a second life finished as surely as the old ones running on 5W-30.

He didn't say anything regarding lifespan. You wouldn't know his opinion from watching the video. Just a mechanical analysis with no opinion either way.

Me personally, I doubt the new Corollas will last. There has already been a recall on the CVTs.

I have just purchased a 2019 Buick with the 2.0 turbo motor. This is my first D.I. engine and have been reading about the problem with carbon build up on the intake valves. It appears to me that the oil from the EGR valve is what is causing the problem. I can not see anything else that would cause this build up. I have some experience with low saps oil from my Mercedes diesel days and was wondering if a low sulfated ash oil would help this problem. I have been using Mobile 1 emission system protection 5W30 synthetic oil. This meets Mercedes 229.51 specs for a low saps oil.

The car only has 20k miles on it, so I do not think it is a problem yet. I think I will do a CRC intake vales cleaner treatment just to be sure. I am looking for some advice on the low saps oil. Do you think it would help stop the carbon build up? Thanks Roger
There's lots of info floating around out there on DI engines, some good, some not good. I like to gather info about these things from experts. PM Trav he can fill you in on what he has observed servicing the injectors from DI engines.

Sure, the engine might last its "first life", but I doubt it'll get a second life finished as surely as the old ones running on 5W-30.

He didn't say anything regarding lifespan. You wouldn't know his opinion from watching the video. Just a mechanical analysis with no opinion either way.

Me personally, I doubt the new Corollas will last. There has already been a recall on the CVTs.

With todays materials and engineering there is no excuse for an auto transmission to last 15 years short of user abuse. The fail point is being engineered into them.

With todays materials and engineering there is no excuse for an auto transmission to last 15 years short of user abuse. The fail point is being engineered into them.
The excuse for the U.S market is the CAFE standards. To pursue this end, long term durability and proven technology like port injection, an old-school auto gearbox with 4 speeds, and using 5W-30 have been replaced on the Corolla.

CVTs are automatric transmissions was a different mechanism...a more fragile one. An Aisin gearbox from Toyota is a tank, but their new CVT already has a "secret" recall.

In addition, the true feel of a CVT is one without shift points, but because people get freaked out by no shifting at all, manufacturers have to replicate the feel of old fashioned gearbox automatics to not lose a sale, which kind of lessens the gains of a CVT in the first places.

New Corollas now have CVTs and a mix of both port and DI. So even their durability is going to take a hit going forward.

New engine as well . The oil filter is on the passenger side ( left ) of the engine . Also has a full sized plastic guard panel . A bit squeamish of all new power trains of all new models . Hyundai and Kia included . Especially the new 1.6 ltr. and C.V.T. of the '20 Rio(s) , Accent and Venue . The new 1.6 ltr. now has a plastic cartridge oil filter , no more metal spin on :( .

Last edited:
New engine as well . The oil filter is on the passenger side ( left ) of the engine . Also has a full sized plastic guard panel . A bit squeamish of all new power trains of all new models . Hyundai and Kia included . Especially the new 1.6 ltr. and C.V.T. of the '20 Rio(s) , Accent and Venue . The new 1.6 ltr. now has a plastic cartridge oil filter , no more metal spin on :( .

There are different kinds of plastic. This is not Mattel we are talking about.

I drove a MS3 from 2007 to 2015; UOA results indicated that M1 5W-30 was suitable for a 7,500 mile OCI. I never touched the valves and when I traded it in at 158,000 miles the TGDI motor was running as good as ever.
I’m currently running two TGDI cars and currently their motors are running great. The 2er has 57,000 miles on it and when I floor it at 35 mph it lights up the rear tires, so I’m pretty happy with this frightening newfangled technology.

I'm concerned about carbon build up on my 2016 Mazda CX-5, 48k miles.

When I read about how to fight the ill effects of direct injection, I read - use top tier gas, keep OCI to 5k miles, use (a specific) sythetic oil with a low sodium level, use a catch can, catch cans don't help, use valve cleaner additives, valve cleaner additives are no help, rev the car into the red line weekly, and finally...walnut blasting is your only hope to alleviate the problem.

I don't think that anyone knows for sure what to do.

It depends on manufacturer. VW had big issues with this and fuel dilution starting with first TFSI engines in 2004. Yet, Honda for example in 2020 still has issues with fuel dilution. Many manufacturers refuse to learn on problems others had.
Low-SAPS oils are generally good choice for DI engines plagued by CBU. Since the US now has ULSG, using MB229.51 (Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 is readily available in Wal Mart) would be ok.
What engines/vehicles is Honda still having FD issues on in 2020?

We managed to go from IDI to DI Diesels. We will figure it out with gas to. Always teething problems when you get rid of Mechanical Brakes, Magnetos, 6V Electrical and Carburetors. It's just this generations turn.

BTW anyone drove the C8 Corvette with Brake by Wire?
Big ‘ole fo barl carb could put a good shot of gasoline in the motor oil too …

Don't let the low mileage give you a false sense of security. I purchased a pre-owned 2017 Focus ST with 24,000 miles on it, and my intake valves were pretty heavily caked with carbon. I removed the intake & cleaned the valves, installed a catch can, and switched to Mobil 1 EP 10W-30 for its favorable sulfated ash & NOACK numbers. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...valve-deposits-ivd.326281/page-4#post-5419283
When my 2012 Ford Focus was wrecked, it busted the intake wide open and I could see the intake valves. There was no carbon on them at all. Bought the car new and wrecked it at 39k. Only oil I used was motorcraft 5w30 full synthetic and changed every 5k. Plus I'm never easy on engines. Tend to whine them up here and there. I feel that helps keep there valves clean.

It has for over a year now. The issue was software programming and short drives in cold weather.
The 2017 and some 2018 CRVs had OD problems, some pretty bad.

There was a leaky infection problem, plus some software programing short falls. Both were rectified under warranty and the warranty extended.

The same motor had been in the civic for two years prior to being used in the CRV without OD issues, it's was in the Accord too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back