New to Direct Injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the old port injection on my Toyota Corolla and it works fine. Think unless they quit building crap like this it may be my last car at 76 years old.

This is interesting. It might already have one. I will check this out tomorrow.
It turns out the 2018+ Regal have a factory catch can. I discovered it from this video about a Malibu with a 2.0 turbo. I checked and sure enough the catch can is there on my 2019 TourX. I could not believe the amount of gunk after 19k miles. To clean it you just have to take the air intake boot off and dump it upside down.

2.0 Catch Can Youtube

It turns out the 2018+ Regal have a factory catch can. I discovered it from this video about a Malibu with a 2.0 turbo. I checked and sure enough the catch can is there on my 2019 TourX. I could not believe the amount of gunk after 19k miles. To clean it you just have to take the air intake boot off and dump it upside down.

2.0 Catch Can Youtube

That is not a "catch can" as we are discussing here on the thread. It's at the wrong end of the PCV valve. The catch can in the video is used to prevent oil vapors from reaching and ruining the Throttle Position Sensor.

I suspect GDI will be just like everything else. We will refine it until.it works even better than the older engine.

USA Built Engines
Highest Mileage Port Fuel Injection - 750,000 mi
Highest Mileage TGDI - 450,000 mi

Those are just to my personal knowledge. I'm sure higher likely exist.

We have a way to go yet on TGDI but we will get there. The refinement has only just begun.

In my 2017 Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine - here is my plan for DI engines (which I have researched) :

1. Use Top Tier gas
  2. Use a bottle of fuel system cleaner before every oil change
  3. Use a good quality synthetic oil rated for DEXOS D1 / Gen 2 along with a good oil filter
  4. Do not exceed 5K miles on an oil & filter change in a DI engine
  5. Use a intake valve cleaner every 12K miles
  6. Change spark plugs 10K miles early
  7. Inspect the PCV valve every 30K miles to ensure it works properly
*Your mileage may vary , but above tips should prove helpful...

In my 2017 Hyundai 2.4L GDI engine - here is my plan for DI engines (which I have researched) :

1. Use Top Tier gas
  3. Use a good quality synthetic oil rated for DEXOS D1 / Gen 2 along with a good oil filter

Proven Plan for GDI
Ford 3.5 Ecoboost TGDI.
1. Buy cheapest oilchange special (oil and filter) at the Autoparts Place that meets latest API Standard (SN, SN+ and now SP) and recommended Grade (5W-30).
2. Change Oil & Filter every 7,000 mi.
3. Don't run UOA. You know it's full.of fuel, the dipstick smell of gasoline is obvious.
4. After 420,000 mi start wondering when the failure prone timing chain and turbos will need replaced and if you should trade it first.

That is not a "catch can" as we are discussing here on the thread. It's at the wrong end of the PCV valve. The catch can in the video is used to prevent oil vapors from reaching and ruining the Throttle Position Sensor.

I just changed my air filter and while I was there I checked out this "catch can". To my surprise, it was almost full and there was a little oil on the throttle body. I cleaned it out. This is not easy because nothing comes apart. It looks like it is not designed to be serviced.. Who knows what oil the previous owner ran. I am running Mobile 1 low saps oil, so it will be interesting to see what is there at the next oil change.

The old school port injected VQ35DE in our 2016 Nissan Quest minivan felt more powerful, got better fuel economy and was smoother and quieter than the direct injected VQ35DD in our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder. They both have similar drivetrains aside from the PF having 4x4.

I get it I'm comparing Nissan to all the above, but I'm struggling to see the benefits of DI.

FWIW, my 2019 Ram 1500 classic crew cab 4x4 w/ a hemi gets better fuel economy than the Pathfinder! The PF is lucky to get 17.5mpg tank to tank w/ daily driving. I haven't gotten less than ~20mpg with the Ram.

The old school port injected VQ35DE in our 2016 Nissan Quest minivan felt more powerful, got better fuel economy and was smoother and quieter than the direct injected VQ35DD in our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder. They both have similar drivetrains aside from the PF having 4x4.

I get it I'm comparing Nissan to all the above, but I'm struggling to see the benefits of DI.

FWIW, my 2019 Ram 1500 classic crew cab 4x4 w/ a hemi gets better fuel economy than the Pathfinder! The PF is lucky to get 17.5mpg tank to tank w/ daily driving. I haven't gotten less than ~20mpg with the Ram.

I agree. It seems the DI engines are seeking better gas mileage and not being concerned about reliability, long life, and maintance costs.

I wonder what the differential ratios are?

Reactions: JTK
We managed to go from IDI to DI Diesels. We will figure it out with gas to. Always teething problems when you get rid of Mechanical Brakes, Magnetos, 6V Electrical and Carburetors. It's just this generations turn.

BTW anyone drove the C8 Corvette with Brake by Wire?

Proven Plan for GDI
Ford 3.5 Ecoboost TGDI.
1. Buy cheapest oilchange special (oil and filter) at the Autoparts Place that meets latest API Standard (SN, SN+ and now SP) and recommended Grade (5W-30).
2. Change Oil & Filter every 7,000 mi.
3. Don't run UOA. You know it's full.of fuel, the dipstick smell of gasoline is obvious.
4. After 420,000 mi start wondering when the failure prone timing chain and turbos will need replaced and if you should trade it first.
Couldn't have said it better myself. I use Chevron Supreme SN+ in our 2016 2.0 ecoboost. $12.42 five quarts wallyworld.

1. Use Top Tier gas
Spark plugs every 10k.....why on earth?
I have pulled a many spark at 60k just for fun and they all looked perfect....with perfect gals.

Some techniques I’ve used while owning direct injection engines...

-Keep an eye on oil levels
-change the oil every 5,000 miles
-install a catch can
-buy the lowest NOACK oil you can find in the weight required
-run a can of CRC or Seafoam through the catch can hose at every 5,000 mile oil change
-and don’t be afraid to pull the intake manifold off every 50,000 miles or so and do a walnut blast cleaning.

Some engines handle direct injection better than others, but I don’t think overall it’s terrible...I think most of the manufacturers have figured it out to the point where these things are better than they were and capable of many miles of trouble free driving.

I have the old port injection on my Toyota Corolla and it works fine. Think unless they quit building crap like this it may be my last car at 76 years old.
New Corollas now have CVTs and a mix of both port and DI. So even their durability is going to take a hit going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back