New to brother 2001 Silverado trans behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.
My youngest brother just purchased a 2001 Chevy Silverado LS with the Vortec 6.0. It only has 96K miles on it and is very clean. I hopped in tonight for a test drive and immediately noticed the 1 - 2 shift kind of bumps / clunks into gear. There are no abnormal noises but you feel it. It wasn't on every shift, and was the most pronounced on the first 1 - 2 shift after sitting. My father actually owns the same truck but the 2002 model year (same engine / trans etc.) and it has 170K miles but all shifts are smooth as glass. We checked the fluid when we got home and it wasn't burnt looking. Still has a reddish hue to it but it doesn't have that nice sweet smell typically associated with fresh transmission fluid.

I am a big proponent of changing out all fluids when purchasing a used car, so this was my recommendation to him. Hopefully this will resolve the issue, it appears to be intermittent and only occurs on the 1 to 2 shift. Overall the truck feels very tight and solid, he seems to be happy. Hoping he follows my recommendation on changing out the fluids!

Here is the link to the add. He already took the shell off.
https://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/6154655646.html

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
1500 or 2500?
4L65E or 4L80E?

It's a 1500 HD. Not sure about transmission.

Very common problem. Try doing a drain and fill with Dex/Merc Maxlife then another drain and fill about 500 miles later.

There is a 1-2 accumulator that you can remove and inspect if you pull the pan but most likely a couple of fluid changes will make a big difference.

My 2003 was doing the same thing when i first bought it used with 225K miles... the maxlife fixed my issue.

Is it throwing any codes?

The 4L60E in the truck does this when cold (existent when the engine is cold; very very noticeable when the engine is cold and it's cold outside). Once everything warms up, it shifts fine.

I believe it's the 1-2 shift solenoid. ~$10 for the OE part on Rock Auto. May be worth looking into.. with the 4L60E, the pan needs dropped so you'll get to change the ATF and filter(s) too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back