"New" Tires - Too old?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a set of four BF Goodrich Touring T/A from my local Sam's Club a couple weeks ago. I had them installed there on Thursday evening.

However, I realized yesterday that the date of manufacture was 3212 (the 32nd week of 2012, or roughly early August of last year). Doesn't this seem a little too "unfresh?" I've purchased tires there before, and they were no more than a couple months old.

Am I making too much of a deal with this, or do you feel that Sam's should give, say a 15% discount (as one year divided by the 6-year recommended lifespan of a tire is roughly 15%)?

What would you do?
Thanks,
Ryan

I've gotten older tires from Tirerack and TireBuyer and didn't get a discount.
The fact that they were probably indoors in a temperature controlled environment also helps (I don't believe the 6 year rule is hard and fast).
I wouldn't worry about it and I doubt they'll give you a discount now.

They are fine.

Michelin (who owns BFG so I can't imagine it would be much different) says that tires should be replaced 10 years from the DOM and that they basically don't age prior to installation. At least thats what they told me.

I am of the opinion that tires within 3 years of production are OK as "new".

Why? Properly stored, tires age fairly slowly. It is when they are exposed to the outdoors that the real aging starts. Tire manufacturers do a good job of storage, tire distributors less so, and retail outlets even less so.

I am also of the opinion that anything older than 3 years should be discounted - AND - the purchaser should be informed about the tire age. Unfortunately, this rarely happens.

Ultimate age? I have a sliding scale of 6 years for hot weather states (AZ, CA, TX, NV, and FL), and 10 years for cold weather states (MN, WI, ND, MT, and ME) - and states in between are ... ah .... in between.

Why 3 years?

The major aging factors for tires are heat and UV damage-if the tires are stored indoors and protected from heat they don't age very quickly. My neighbor actually has an ancient 15 inch bias ply tire from a Beetle they had 20 years ago sitting in her garage-no cracking whatsoever (but I sure wouldn't use it!).

I'd look at it as a function of your use. Is the car a daily driver? How many miles a year? How often do you usually go through a set?

If you're going to wear through these in less than say, 5 years, I wouldn't think much about it at all. If the car gets low use and will never rack the miles, then time, versus mileage amortization is important, so I'd be more critical of date.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
I am of the opinion that tires within 3 years of production are OK as "new".

Why? Properly stored, tires age fairly slowly. It is when they are exposed to the outdoors that the real aging starts. Tire manufacturers do a good job of storage, tire distributors less so, and retail outlets even less so.

I am also of the opinion that anything older than 3 years should be discounted - AND - the purchaser should be informed about the tire age. Unfortunately, this rarely happens.

Ultimate age? I have a sliding scale of 6 years for hot weather states (AZ, CA, TX, NV, and FL), and 10 years for cold weather states (MN, WI, ND, MT, and ME) - and states in between are ... ah .... in between.

Why 3 years?

I think the time limit in AZ is either 5 or 6 years.

Not the whole state of CA is hot in summer, a small strip of land about 8-10 miles along the beach from San Diego all the way to Oregon is fairly cool in summer, average high from July 01 to September 30 at Newport Beach is less than 80F.

We don't have air conditioning at home, on average we like to have it about 2-5 days a year, and we turned on the fans only 5-10 days a year on average.

I just mounted two new/old tires on my sons truck last week. I picked them up at an auction a couple of years ago and stored them in a cool spot in my garage where they have been ever since. According to the dates, they are five years old, but they don't have a single crack or split on them and look brand new. The tires I removed from the truck were about the same age and while worn, were not totally worn out, however, the sidewalls were covered with cracks and I felt it was time to replace them. I think it's a good example of how heat, use and UV rays break down a tire and how proper storage can preserve a good tire.

Quote:
Not the whole state of CA is hot in summer,
Not the heat as much as the sun exposure.

Ever smell a tire warehouse? Full of the gases the new tires give off. This kind'a forms a protective envelope around the tires, maybe keeps some ozone away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back