New Tires for the Old Chevy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my new tires! I don't know if I mentioned it already but I won them for free. No, I'm not kidding! They were almost $800 for the set... Sumitomo Encounter AT LT285/70R17. I also won an iPad Pro 10.5" and Apple Pencil, as soon as it shows up I'm selling that so I can pay for the stuff I need to fix my truck and put the new tires on.

Before the new tires go on my truck I need to:

-Overhaul the front end. I was underneath it last night inspecting everything for play and it's all ruined. I guess that's because it has over a quarter million miles on it LOL. Currently (all of) the ball joints are bad, causing my current front tires to wear really unevenly. Also it needs new tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, and steering gearbox (going with a BlueTop, not another junky Cardone rebuild that's gonna be looser than, uh, nevermind)... I'm also going to install a new steering shaft coupler while I have it all apart because why not.
-Install a lift kit. I'm hoping a cheap leveling kit with 3" torsion bar keys and maybe rear blocks (about $100 for all that) will be good enough to clear the larger tires/wheels. Y'all think that's gonna work?
-Get an alignment after all that.
-Buy a set of used 17x7.5 steel wheels off a newer Silverado to fit the larger tires. Currently I have the ugly stock 16" wheels that came on the truck.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Pretty sure those are aluminum wheels.

Check your front axle thermal disconnect. Those were notorious for failing.

I replaced the steering shaft coupler (also called a rag joint) on my 1985 Olds 88 several years ago with a universal kit I bought from NAPA. There was a problem with the clearance of the bolts and I had to make my own bolts to fit it. I used a steel that had a hardness that was softer than the original bolts but harder than the bolts that came with the kit. Be aware that the kit NAPA sells might require you to make custom bolts to fit your application.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
I replaced the steering shaft coupler (also called a rag joint) on my 1985 Olds 88 several years ago with a universal kit I bought from NAPA. There was a problem with the clearance of the bolts and I had to make my own bolts to fit it. I used a steel that had a hardness that was softer than the original bolts but harder than the bolts that came with the kit. Be aware that the kit NAPA sells might require you to make custom bolts to fit your application.

I got me a Lares 205. Should be a direct replacement.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Pretty sure those are aluminum wheels.

Check your front axle thermal disconnect. Those were notorious for failing.

These are the wheels I'm going for. They are dirt cheap because most people want to upgrade to something "cooler" than this:

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by maxdustington
If you are going to rebuild the suspension and lift it why not new shocks and maybe springs?

One thing at a time LOL. Good shocks are not cheap, cheap shocks are not good. Do I need longer shocks for the torsion bar leveling kit? If so then yes shocks will be added to the list...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Those steel wheels are butt ugly. Might try to find some 2014 up 17" steel wheels, they kinda remind you of the old school wagon wheels we ran in the 70s & 80s.

If I find some of those I'll definitely go for them. I guess I'm the only one that likes steelies lol. I'll be painting them black and use the silver center caps. It'll look like a Tahoe PPV haha. Like this I guess: http://i402.photobucket.com/albums/pp106/08taylorized/08truck060.jpg

Last edited:
3" lift means you need longer shocks. You'll be at the very end of the shocks, going over bumps means the shocks have no room to go out and you'll ruin them.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
3" lift means you need longer shocks. You'll be at the very end of the shocks, going over bumps means the shocks have no room to go out and you'll ruin them.

OK, thanks. This the correct ones?

KYB 565073 MonoMax
Front; LIFTED; Lift Replacement Shocks; Lift = 1-3.
KYB 565074 MonoMax
Rear; LIFTED; Lift Replacement Shocks; Lift = 1-3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back