New tires for Kona N

It looks like I will be buying a Hyundai Kona N sometime next month. It comes with 235/40/19 Pirelli P Zero summer performance tires. These tires have a UTQG of 220. So these will be toast in about 10K on a 276hp front wheel drive car. It will be my only car and I will have to drive it in winter. So I was looking at these two tires to replace the factory rubber right away.

Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 Plus

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4

Both have a UTQG around 550. The Michelins do cost about $45 more per tire and I was thinking is the Michelins a $180 better performance tire over the Continental or are you just paying the Michelin tax?

AF3E99C7-E7CF-481B-AE74-57827A79B474.jpg
D9BEF3AD-032D-4482-BCC4-734788F508E1.jpg

I used the Extreme Contacts on my Tucson and they wore out pretty quick. However I must say that it was the stickiest tire I ever had. Felt like the car was driving in a track. BTW I no longer buy Michelins as I have had cracking problems with them.

If you drive it in the winter and aren't getting a separate set of tires for winter use, consider a 3-peak all-season :)

Cooper Enduramax
Michelin CrossClimate
Vredestein Quatrac
Hankook Kinergy 4S2
Nokian WRG4

How's the weather been and how much snow/winter do you expect? Do you have room to store spare wheels/tires?

If yes on room, consider some other aftermarket rims or from a lower model Kona with some better winter type tires, even a performance winter tire. Yes you'll lose performance but you might gain a much better safe winter driving to keep the Kona on the road and not sliding so you can get to work.

Otherwise my brother-in-law had both on his Tiguan. He loves the Michelin PS4. He liked the DWS-06. After first couple snows on the Michelin he went back to his smaller rims and Michelin X-ice until spring. He did the same with the Conti. He just takes it a bit easier in winter.

The winter weather depends on the year here in the PNW. The last couple of weeks we been getting light snow here and there, nothing to write home about. Most of the winter it’s 35-45 degrees and rain. Those P Zero‘s will be hard as a rock below 45 degrees. The Kona N has 4 pot front brakes, so I don’t know if any other Kona wheel would fit.

I have had 3 peak tires on my other AWD cars and liked them, but this is a sporty car and having a 3 peak All Weather tires on it might zap some of the fun in the hotter months.

Does it come with a "spare" tire or just a fix-a-flat kit? What size is the rim if it does? Maybe dealer can help and try to pop one on from a limited or "N-line".

For me, if I had the room to store, even same size rims with some better winter type tires so you can out on for the season. If you ever sell it or change your mind I'm sure you could sell the rims/snows on the forums. When the Pirellis wear out at end of next summer, then you can get the Michelin PS4.

Tell dealer to get you the PS4 before you take it off the lot they can recoup the loss by installing your Pirelli's as new to somebody else. Get the PS4 install at your own shop, keep/sell the Pirelli on forums/craigslist.

Take it easy on first bunch of snow and cold and see if you are happy. TR gave the PS4 a decent snow performance (compared to other performance tires) but obviously not at winter or 3PMSF level.

It doesn’t come with a spare because of the front caliper size.

High performance cars call for high performance tires. You may not like Kona on lesser tires than summer. It may struggle for traction more than you like.

If I were you I would have considered two sets of wheels.

Krzyś

Back