New tire time...225/55/19, all seasons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty hard to beat the General Altimax RT43... They have really good traction in bad weather(Wisconsin) and also last a long time. Price is starting to creep up but they are a really good tire that I have on one sons 2010 Honda Civic and my older sons 2016 Mazda CX5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Boss302fan
Pretty hard to beat the General Altimax RT43... They have really good traction in bad weather(Wisconsin) and also last a long time. Price is starting to creep up but they are a really good tire that I have on one sons 2010 Honda Civic and my older sons 2016 Mazda CX5.

Gonna go with them. They did me a solid for about 10k miles on my 2015 cx5, and consumer reports gave a bad showing of the TrueContact Tour. Good on Rt43 t and v.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Ws6
mclasser said:
Im down to 6/32 all 4. The tires are only 300 treadwear.
That's still a bit of tread. Sounds more like you want to replace just to replace and not out of need.
I drive used tires, extensively. But tests show that new tires give the best braking, handling, & resistance to hydroplaning. Its easy to see why some people like to buy new tires, even when their old tires are well above the wear bars.

Originally Posted by litesong
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
Originally Posted by Ws6
mclasser said:
Im down to 6/32 all 4. The tires are only 300 treadwear.
That's still a bit of tread. Sounds more like you want to replace just to replace and not out of need.
I drive used tires, extensively. But tests show that new tires give the best braking, handling, & resistance to hydroplaning. Its easy to see why some people like to buy new tires, even when their old tires are well above the wear bars.

I noticed on a trip in the rain the other day the front was a lot lighter than it should have been. The tires are still safe, but not up to my standards. I will wait until they get down to 3-4/32 though just because. I only bought the thing a few months ago back in late February, and I want a bit more bang for my buck with these tires, lol!

Oh my, the OEM Toyos are such crap.

Anyway, we installed Cooper Discoverer SRXs before vacation in March for our CX-5.

Quiet, high treadwear # which Is ok being our 3 season tire, and fair price from Blains Farm and Fleet during a buy 3, get one free sale ($175 each, so $525 plus tax for 4 tires).

Originally Posted by BrewCityR
Oh my, the OEM Toyos are such crap.

Anyway, we installed Cooper Discoverer SRXs before vacation in March for our CX-5.

Quiet, high treadwear # which Is ok being our 3 season tire, and fair price from Blains Farm and Fleet during a buy 3, get one free sale ($175 each, so $525 plus tax for 4 tires).

Yeah, the OEM Toyos are pretty bad. I've been looking at the SRX's, but Cooper doesn't have a track record of excellence with me, or with their recall rate. I'm reconsidering the RT43's because I noticed some tread-growl from them on my last CX5, and it was ALSO mentioned in a Tirerack review. Kinda leaning toward the TrueContact Tour's, now, because of how much I liked my CrossContact LX20's. I'm sure I'll waffle on it for a while before having to decide.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Well, Ive got 9900mi on my cx5, and next oil change it will be new tire time.

I have had:

Wrg3 suv: horrible, Nokian is out.
Firestone destination le2: no wet traction, out.
General altimax rt43: not bad, im considering them.

Tires I am interested in:

Continental TrueContact Tour
Michelin Premier LTX, but I fear the bad tread life rating on tirerack.

What other recommendations or reviews are there from the forum? I value rain, snow, ice traction, handling, and a quiet ride, then treadlife. All in that order, but not much spread.

I have Michelin Premier on my Forester and the treadwear is really bad, I'm not sure I will be able to get two full summer seasons on them (30k kms)...

Originally Posted by jbutch
Originally Posted by Ws6
Well, Ive got 9900mi on my cx5, and next oil change it will be new tire time.

I have had:

Wrg3 suv: horrible, Nokian is out.
Firestone destination le2: no wet traction, out.
General altimax rt43: not bad, im considering them.

Tires I am interested in:

Continental TrueContact Tour
Michelin Premier LTX, but I fear the bad tread life rating on tirerack.

What other recommendations or reviews are there from the forum? I value rain, snow, ice traction, handling, and a quiet ride, then treadlife. All in that order, but not much spread.

I have Michelin Premier on my Forester and the treadwear is really bad, I'm not sure I will be able to get two full summer seasons on them (30k kms)...

Ouch. Yeah, TireRack ratings are killing those on treadwear. Almost as bad as the Toyos it came with (down to 6/32 on all 4, at 10K miles)

YES! I absolutely LOVED my CrossContact LX20's. I got over 50K miles out of them, they were well behaved in any situation (snow, etc. even with 2/32 left they made it up my 27% grade hill covered in snow!) and I just loved them. So sad they didn't offer them in 225/55/19. But now...

V rated
Symmetrical tread
Builds technologically on a tire I already have an excellent experience with.
25.6# weight (in this size that is nearly the lightest offered, and almost a 3.5# PER TIRE savings over the OEM ToyoA36s )
Absorption layer between tread to make it quiet.
https://www.continentaltire.com/product/crosscontact-lx25-22555-r-19-99v/?
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=CrossContact+LX25

This has answered my "what tire to use" query!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back