New tire chuck

My old HF fire chuck has a cracked hose that is leaking air. Time for a new one.

I see the budget line of air compressor products at HF and the upgraded Merlin line.

And there are a bunch on Amazon with a digital gauge. Unknown manufacturers to me at least.

And a Milton one with gauge on Amazon.

Looking for one with some kind of a gauge that is accurate. And the short 6" section of hose needs to be decent quality. Not going to o crack in 6 months.

Suggestions?

I’ve got a ten year old Milton that still works great. No cracking. Durable, but hard to read the scale under the magnifying bit of plastic in the housing. The Milton I have runs about $40.

I just got a new Griot’s inflator with a big dial, release valve, and locking chuck. It’s awesome. So easy to use.

Now…ain’t cheap…$80

But I love it!

Last edited:
Haha I’m in the same boat. The ones at work are provided but all went either bye bye or got run over or broke. I have an inexpensive one at home it’s I think it’s a Tractor Supply brand one. Going to Rural King sometime this weekend to buy a nice USA made Milton one. They run about $40 so not bad, I priced a few on the Snap-on truck and $40 is nothing compared to those. At school we had the Merlin they seemed pretty good but I never checked them with another gauge because we didn’t have any other gauges. But you know if it can last in a bunch of high schoolers hands it must be good. My teacher had one I think called Branick it was identical to the Milton but that’s the only one of those I’ve seen anywhere.

I only use Harbor Freight when I want something cheap. I won't purchase anything from them that has a high price tag where they are trying to compete with other high dollar names. I can see their business goal, because it's easier to make money on an expensive item instead of items that they used to give away with a coupon, but check the warranty on a lot of their items. If it's only 90 days, which is the warranty on many of their products, I'd avoid it. Speaking of warranty, the last time I tried to get warranty work on a HF item they sold with a lifetime warranty, I had two employees balking on their warranty work until I pointed out their own wording on the package.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
I’ve got a ten year old Milton that still works great. No cracking. Durable, but hard to read the scale under the magnifying bit of plastic in the housing. The Milton I have runs about $40.

I just got a new Griot’s inflator with a big dial, release valve, and locking chuck. It’s awesome. So easy to use.

Now…ain’t cheap…$80

But I love it
Quality usually comes at a price.

How accurate are the gauges with something that slides and you look at the marking behind a small round window vs the round along or digital gauges.

Digital is probably no guarantee it's accurate. Buy three and compare, take two back.
I agree, but, digital vs mechanical anything (timers, measuring indicators, thermometers or air gages),
I will take digital every day of the Week (from a reputable manufacturer).

Not only check for accuracy, also check for repeatability (3x).

The JACO Gage looks topnotch.
I don't like an air gage to have too long a hose (unless needed), I figure if you check the tire several times,
you may notice your reading dropping quicker.

I picked up the Milton yesterday. Going to use it tomorrow when I rotate our tires then going to test it Tuesday when I go back to work.

Reactions: JC1
Back