New TIG welder

My new toy showed up on Saturday, a Primeweld 225. Over the last several years I've done so many projects (mostly aluminum) which required drill/tap for assembly, that I thought it was time to just get a TIG welder and be done with hardware. Should also lessen the need for my MIG and allow me to stay inside the shop when the weather gets too bad. Hooked it all up and went right into practicing on a piece of .100" aluminum. Played around with the tungsten angles and amps and it didn't take too long to get close to the right settings. Now it's up to a lot of practice. I think this machine should do everything I need and hopefully do it well.

pweld1.jpg
pweld2.jpg
welds.jpg

Looking good! We should make a "Show us your welds" Thread.... I am getting better....

View attachment 33671

Wow! nice work.

I'm in the process of building a welding table so I can sit at the right height for proper forearm/wrist support. My hands tend to get a bit shaky after a while without support and I either stick the filler rod into the tungsten or end up with the tungsten in the pool. I'm great at sharpening tungsten though.

It is always worth spending time on the setup for sure. I've got a welding table that cranks up and down for that exact reason. Get my elbows on the table or better yet forearms on the edge for better control. Sometimes I take a few pieces of metal and make a dig to rest my arms on. Has really helped.

Back