New synthetic oil change

I bought 5 qts and a additional qt of Valvoline full synthetic oil for my 2007 VW beetle 2.5 liter gas engine on line at walmart.com. Unfortunately I didn't notice they sent 5w-40 diesel blue 5 qt jug and 1 qt of 5w-40 euro full synthetic until after I changed the oil. I changed filter as well with a fram 20,000 mile filter. My question is can I go ahead and run the diesel for the next 15,000 miles or will this cause problem with the engine or do I need to drain it and start over.

I`ve been running diesel oil in gasoline engines for at least 4 years now and tried it in many cars, no issues. For one OCI i don`t think you would have any issues, but its up to you. I wouldn`t bother drain and waste new oil.

What does the jug label say?
interestingly it says for gas and diesel engines and ha SN rating. I called valvoline and it was like pulling teeth to get it out of them that they do not make a full synthetic 5W-40 except for Eurocars. The stuff I bought was labeled for "diesel". Upon further questioning I found out the only difference is the amount of zinc in parts for million added to the oil. The diesel has about 700 ppm more than the full synthetic 10W-30. It's strictly a EPA thing and she said it might clog your catalytic converter which I believe to be BS. As to lubrication she admitted it would be the same.

What does the jug label say?
nothing to worry about. Heck the oil spec I use VW 504/507 has both gas and diesel specifications
see below
I`ve been running diesel oil in gasoline engines for at least 4 years now and tried it in many cars, no issues. For one OCI i don`t think you would have any issues, but its up to you. I wouldn`t bother drain and waste new oil.
see below

Your beetle will love you for using that oil because it requires 5w40 and most get just whatever is available in 5w30. So there is nothing wrong with using the diesel oils, most VW specs cover both gas and diesel for their engines. But diesel oil usually comes in gallon bottles not 5qt bottles, so make sure your oil level is correct and not a quart low. Those 5 cylinder engines will run forever if taken care of.

Back