New Supersport Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My FZ6R is being bought on friday and im planning to buy a new leftover Supersport in the next week or two.

Rebates are really good right now on the leftover 13,14 and some 15 models. I've sat on most of them and im leaning toward a CBR600RR. I'm also considering a GSX-R. The R6 is great looking, but the riding position is more aggressive and uncomfortable than the other three Japanese bikes. The ninja is probably my least favorite out of the bunch so far. What are your guys thoughts?

I Like MV Agusta F3's but the Japanese bikes are about $4-5k less and way cheaper to own and maintain. I also like Ducati's but again the price is high. I found a Demo 899 panigale, but it is still about $5k more OTD than a leftover Japanese bike of any brand.

Last edited:
I have a looong saddle on my R1, so the riding position can vary based on what I'm doing. My buddy's GSXR750 (i think '12) has a set riding to haul a55, and I could not imagine doing a long ride on that thing. Overall the bikes are the same performance wise as I see it, trade off one thing for another +/- a thing or two. If the bike is uncomfortable, I can not see myself liking it 100% no matter how fun/good deal/etc it is.
Like a shoe it has to fit.

Dyusik is right, there's nothing between the Japanese bikes as far as performance goes. My personal choice would be the CBR600RR, with ABS.

Originally Posted By: Olas
ZX10

Well if we're going off-brief, why not a BMW R1200GS?
wink.gif

Although it does raise the question of why the ZX-6R is not on your list? There's also the Triumph Daytona 675. Beyond that you have the bases covered so it would really be down to which fits you best and hits you in the feels the most.

The Honda CBR always gets the nod for comfort and balance over the competition Japanese bikes.

That being said, it seems like Suzuki loves to offer 0% financing on their supersport bikes so that could be another factor.

Originally Posted By: weasley
Originally Posted By: Olas
ZX10

Well if we're going off-brief, why not a BMW R1200GS?
wink.gif

Although it does raise the question of why the ZX-6R is not on your list? There's also the Triumph Daytona 675. Beyond that you have the bases covered so it would really be down to which fits you best and hits you in the feels the most.

I thought 'supersport' referred to any WSB style bike, instead of cruiser or enduro or motard or trials but reading the thread it seems like 600 terminology, so ZX or Gixxer on personal taste for fun, or a YZF or CBR for more civil and less fast (not to say slow, just not quite as insanely quick as the other two)

Out of the Japanese 4 600cc lineup I would definitely say the R6 is the way to go. It's been the raining 600cc champ for years and is very durable, the drawback...as you said more track oriented and not as comfy for long rides/commuting. Otherwise, Suzuki is still offering 0% interest for 5 years, which is the BEST financing I've found from a factory (and they will even extend the offer to low credit applicants.

I think performance wise they are all about the same. More than enough for street use.

The CBR and GSX-R seem to feel the most comfortable so far. The CBR is much better looking, however since I will be financing a portion of it 0% APR is attractive. I'll likely use my credit union for the portion I borrow anyway. They have great rates anyway.

I did forget about the Triumph. I will look into that bike as well. I have yet to sit on one of those. The ZX6R is considered I just think it is a little unattractive. I may go tryout and R6 again and see how it fits, it's been a few months since I sat on one. I'm not brand loyal, so I'm going to go with feel, price, and looks in that order.

Just based on my own experience owning Sportbikes from all four Japanese makes, I'd go with the GSXR.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm not brand loyal, so I'm going to go with feel, price, and looks in that order.

You are actually going to ride each one before making a decision though?

Originally Posted By: hpb
Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm not brand loyal, so I'm going to go with feel, price, and looks in that order.

You are actually going to ride each one before making a decision though?

Likely not. Dealers generally don't allow test rides on new Japanese bikes. I mean't how they feel when sitting on them. Even the leftover 13 models I've seen have 0 miles. It seems like the only manufacture with demo models at dealerships is Ducati.

If I could ride them all I would.

I am partial to Yamaha and then Honda as far as Japanese bikes go. However, I would say to go look at the Triumph Daytona as well. That 675cc three cylinder has a character all its own that is different than a Japanese 600cc 4 cylinder.

No test rides, that sucks! Around here, dealers are happy to throw a dealer plate on new bikes and let serious buyers try before they buy. As said above, perhaps getting a go on a used one might be possible? It'd be horrible to buy something, then realise during the ride home that you'd made a mistake...

Oh and I agree you should definitely consider the Triumph 675 too! Good luck
smile.gif

Dealers are more likely to give you test rides if you turn up on something similar to what they sell - it shows you can afford it and you can handle it.

If your friend has a supersport ask to borrow it, and see how much more willing the dealers are to let you try their wares
wink.gif

Harley dealers by me will let me test ride any used bike they have up for sale. And if your looking to buy a new bike, you can rent the model your interested in for a day to really get a feel for the bike before you commit to buying it. This might be the reason why metric dealers always have loads of unsold 2 and 3 year old models on hand.,,

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Harley dealers by me will let me test ride any used bike they have up for sale. And if your looking to buy a new bike, you can rent the model your interested in for a day to really get a feel for the bike before you commit to buying it. This might be the reason why metric dealers always have loads of unsold 2 and 3 year old models on hand.,,

I agree with you. I've sat on them all. The CBR and GSXR are both the most comfortable. The R6 is pretty comfortable, but tall in the seat. The zx6r feels the worst IMO. It would be very helpful if I could put 10 miles on each one of them and see the characteristics of the bike before I spend $9-10k on a new bike.

Every bike mentioned is in the 600cc class. Have you checked out a Yamaha fz09? Lot of bike for the money.

If only a supersport will do the Kawasaki zx6r has the best performance and the most natural riding position. It's the class leader in useable 600cc performance. It has 127hp at the crank while the Honda has 110. It has more low end torque than all of the other bikes. It has the latest redesign (2013) also. It's your money you should buy what you like best but if performance is your primary motivator then the Kawasaki is the bike for you. Next step up is a Suzuki 750 and that should also be on your list.

Triumph and Ducati also will likely allow test rides.

Having owned Honda and Kawasaki Supersports, If I was in the market for this class bike I'd head over to the closest Ducati dealer and say SuperBike Please.

Yeah it is 5 grand more (for a 959) but... if you're looking at a supersport for a street bike, practicality already left the building so, live a little....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back