New Subaru Foresters burning oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently saving up for a brand new 2015 Subaru Forester but I have heard the rumors going around about how some of them burn oil. Apparently it is written in the owners manual that it is acceptable to burn a quart of oil every 1000 miles. I was at the dealership the other day test driving one and asked the salesman if he had ever heard about the issue but of course he claimed he never had. I wanted to see if I could take a look at the owners manual to see if it really said that but I didn't want to come across as rude. Does anybody know much about this issue?

While I don't know about 2015 Foresters specifically, every manufacturer states that 1 quart per 1000 miles (more or less...some say 900 miles) is considered "acceptable" so they won't have to deal with warranty issues.

As for what the dealer said, NO salesman will ever admit to any kind of fault with any vehicle.

Every single owners manual I have seen in my life said something to that effect, I think is cheap insurance on their part for possible warranty claims.

Also, always there are variations in the manufacturing and the running in of every engine, I had two cars with exactly the same engine, and one would consume half a quart every 5,000 km and the other didn't consume any measurable amount of oil between changes.

From the 2014 Forester owners manual.

"If the oil consumption rate seems abnormally high after the break-in period, for example more than 1 quart per 1,200 miles or 1 liter per 2,000 kilometers, contact your SUBARU dealer."

My 2014 Outback with the 2.5L has not consumed any oil in the first 11,000 miles.

YMMV

Subaru issued a TSB for the oil control rings back in September 2013. For some reason (maybe the TSB being updated), Car Connection just ran the story as if it were new. The affected cars were exceeding the 1 qt per 1k miles minimum.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news/1092813_some-2011-2014-subarus-to-get-new-piston-rings

Check the forums at SubaruForester.org for discussions about the '15's. The OCI has also been reduced from 3,750/7,500 miles (severe/normal) to 3,000/6,000. The oil consumption thread on the Forester forum began in June of 2011, regarding MY2011 cars, and ironically the '11's aren't covered by the TSB.

If I were getting a new Forester, I'd run the factory fill to at least 3k miles (or even the full 6k miles) and break it in HARD.

Here's the TSB. It's the same among the cars with the same engine (FB25).
http://allwheeldriveauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Subaru-TSB-02-143-13R.pdf

-Dennis

Last edited:
My 2014 Subaru does not use any measurable amount of oil per OCI. I change oil/filter every 6K miles with 0w-20 oil and a Subaru filter.

Originally Posted By: 7055
Does anybody know much about this issue?

I have 2 friends who have Forresters and both use more oil than any new car I have ever seen. One is a 2012 and the other is a 2013. Both used oil from about 15,000 miles on. One guy has been back to the dealer 10 times with no luck. So he is trading it on a Honda or Toyota.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: 7055
Does anybody know much about this issue?

I have 2 friends who have Forresters and both use more oil than any new car I have ever seen. One is a 2012 and the other is a 2013. Both used oil from about 15,000 miles on. One guy has been back to the dealer 10 times with no luck. So he is trading it on a Honda or Toyota.

Well my FB25 hasn't used any oil in 14.5K. Hopefully it doesn't start at 15K like your friends.

I just rebuilt my 84 Civic and it does not burn a drop between oil changes. I would think that one quart every 1K miles would be unacceptable. My skills and tools can't possibly even approach those of a new car factory. A burn rate of 1 quart of oil every 1K miles represents sloppy work.

That Subaru oil ring part problem was solved with a "surface treatment change", which probably isn't the correct wording, since they've been building great engines for a lot of years. Sounds more like it should be "A parts supplier didn't do the proper surface treatment." ... This sounds similar to what happened with quite a few GM 3.6L High-Feature V6s in the last 10 years of production; the parts supplier for the metal timing chains neglected to do the proper carbonitriding surface treatment. Now, the Subaru rings MIGHT have neglected to get a moly coating; not sure; or maybe they "forgot" to do carbonitriding of the steel rings like the GM chains (??).

Speaking of the GM 3.6L V6, 2011 Camaro (also in Cadillacs and other new GM SUVs), it uses oil at about 1 quart every 1,500 miles which is 'high-ish' but I guess not too high, and being a high-tech high-compression direct injection engine, its probably getting past the rings like the Subaru case.

At least the Subarus have an oil level sensor to warn you! Wish my 2011 Camaro had one; my 07 BMW 530xi does have one of those handy things, full warning available. GM started installing an oil level sensor in very recent years, and its going to REALLY benefit many government/company fleet operators who neglect to check their oil level until its too late (a conversation with a fleet manager who runs it for Oxnard government and police fleets told me "nobody cares enough to check oil, and we sometimes lose an engine, but the Oxnard taxpayers always just give us a new one...").

I have one and it uses oil (FB25 Engine), I'm told it's less than what's listed above in owner's manual, all is good, I have no problem.......

Seems to drink more on long highway trips in warmer weather.

You can go to the Subaru Forester site and read a thread that goes on forever about it. A lot of people will say there's no issue, funny such a giant thread over nothing.

Learn from other peoples mistakes. I wish I had got a Honda or Toyota. I will next time.

I love peoples advice that haven't just bought a $25000 dollar oil eating engine. I'd like to hear their opinions after owning one, that would be funny, before and after comments.

Last edited:
I own a 2014 XT Forester Touring with the 2.0 BRZ engine turbo of course. I got 6000 miles and haven't seen a lick of oil burned. I traded in a 2009 Forester and my wife traded hers in too at the same time for a 2014 XT Forester and not lick of oil burned in those either. Hers was a 2011 and mine was a 2009 as said above both Foresters. When Foresters beat Honda year after year with awards representing their durability and reliability I wouldn't worry no much thought is going in to it. If your thinking about burning oil because the owners manual says what not. Think about the fact that just about all owners manuals state the same thing in just about the same manner and you probably don't want a Subaru to begin with. Don't compromise buy what you really want.

Last edited:
The wife and I have been loyal Subaru customers for years. Never had any previous Subaru vehicle even burn a drop. Flash forward to the current 2013 Legacy with the 2.5 FB motor; it's always used a little in 5K oci's. (Just like what is in the Forester). On the previous oil change I used QSUD 0W-20. Near the end of the OCI (I do 5k on this car) I noticed it had burned over 1/2 quart. I know that's nothing compared to what some have said they've experienced with the new Subaru motors, but when you are used to NO consumption it will get your attention. On the current oci I used NAPA Syn 0W-20 and 4k into the current fill there's been no apparent usage. I think the car liked the taste of QSUD for some reason. I think the Subaru likes (ie doesn't eat) the Napa (Synpower) the best of any oil I've used and I intend to stick with it(Napa or Valvoline) in this car from here on out.

I can say this: The WRX uses no oil. (2.5T 2014) Bugs me a bit. All cars should use some small amount of oil. Time will tell though. When I stretch the OCI out it should use some. The op is speculating on what the OM says.

My FB25 burned a bit before 7,500 and I haven't seen anything since. There have been fewer reports of the 2.0 turbo burning oil, so if you can afford an XT you'll be in good shape for sure.

I subscribe to the break-in theory with the new FB20 and FB25 engines. Find a way to put the engine under load and get the RPMs going while keeping the acceleration and deceleration of the engine itself in check. If that makes sense.

15k miles here on my FB20 and no consumption issues for me.

And don't dump the FF too early. Give it 3500 miles!

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I can say this: The WRX uses no oil. (2.5T 2014) Bugs me a bit. All cars should use some small amount of oil. Time will tell though. When I stretch the OCI out it should use some. The op is speculating on what the OM says.

Yes, some. If no or very little oil is burned, it makes me think the cylinder walls or valve stems are just not getting enough oil. Burning 1 quart per about 3 tanks of gas is about the tolerable limit according to Subaru. I guess it is a way to replenish the oil a bit!

Flat 4 engine,the pistons are closer to the oil level,easier to burn oil.Much like old VW Beetles.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Mine burns about a quart every 5k. Perfect amount IMO because it allows for a .5-1 quart top-up/refresh during the OCI. My previous car was a Civic that had increasing consumption up to about a quart every 2k miles when I got rid of it at 75k miles (I did not get rid of it because of the oil burning).

1 quart per OCI bugs me not at all. More than that is annoying but still not the end of the world unless you're the type of person who's gonna let it run dry and fail to check and top-off.

I wouldn't let this be a reason to avoid the Forester. As stated by others EVERY manufacturer says this in their owners manuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back