new style williams ratchet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this based on a few good reviews. The guy says he will throw the 1/4 in for 12 dollars if im interested. Anyone have these or know about them. There dont seem to be a lot of info out there on them but what i did find was positive.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140587499822&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:MOTORS:1123#ht_1557wt_1166

Williams is/was a highly regarded U.S. industrial tool manufacturer similar to Proto and Wright. They are now under the Snap On umbrella and I am not sure about their country of origin status changes.

I second the garage journal recommendation.

Don't be surprised if you get the usual 'if it's not Snap-on it's JUNK' line on TGJ. I got really tired of that mantra in every single tool thread.

Like doitmyself said JH Williams was a premium U.S. tool maker, now they are part of the Snap-On industrial group. They are still high quality tools, you can buy them with confidence.
I have one thats a few years old its made in the U.S.

Last edited:
Good deal. I'm set for many tools... My Dad was an SK man... I have a good deal of SK and then I have the Craftsman stuff I got as a gift. I am always interested in new tools, and I like to support the domestic suppiers first.

Williams makes good ratchets. However, they sell both a USA and an import (Taiwan) line. Since Williams is a subset of Snap On, their import line is a lot like the Blue Point subset of Snap On.

You can usually tell if it's a USA or import by the model number. The imports have 5 numerical digits, while the USA line usually has a mix of letters and numbers.

As other have said, Snap On (automotive tools) owns Snap On industrial which includes Williams, Bahco, and CDI torque. Well... At least that's how I understand it....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jstutz
ViewItem&item=140587499822

That's not a real Williams 1/2" drive ratchet; that's an import branded with the Williams
name. The real Williams ratchet will be a variant of the discontinued Snap-on S936.

This is a real Williams ratchet here: eBay

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

That's not a real Williams 1/2" drive ratchet; that's an import branded with the Williams
name. The real Williams ratchet will be a variant of the discontinued Snap-on S936.

Agreed. That looks like a Blue Point import ratchet.

Actually, a REAL Williams ratchet would be a Superratchet, not some leftover Snap-On design.

338891047_o.jpg

Of course, the old Superratchet design has been updated, but it's still more of a Williams than the 936 clone.

Here's one on Ebay

Originally Posted By: stephen9666

Actually, a REAL Williams ratchet would be a Superratchet, not some leftover Snap-On design.

338891047_o.jpg

Of course, the old Superratchet design has been updated, but it's still more of a Williams than the 936 clone.

Here's one on Ebay

That's my favorite ratchet.

Technically you're correct, but I'd much rather have the Williams S-52EHA/Snap-on S936.
grin2.gif

Technically you're correct, but I'd much rather have the Williams S-52EHA/Snap-on S936.
grin2.gif

I'm not sure how someone can stand the slick chrome finish. The slightest bit of grease or oil and your hands and fingers slip all over the handle.

I much prefer the knurled handle design.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'm not sure how someone can stand the slick chrome finish. The slightest bit of grease or oil and your hands and fingers slip all over the handle.

I much prefer the knurled handle design.

I've never had an issue with "slick chrome"

Originally Posted By: cadfaeltex
Slight highjack...

I just got a Williams 52a - that's the American-made one right?

It appears to be.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

You can get that same ratchet in industrial finish if the chrome is too slick for you.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Agreed. That looks like a Blue Point import ratchet.

I agree also, looks a lot like the Taiwanese version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back