New Steering Rack with tie rods....click sound

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a new steering rack replaced which comes with the tie rod ends in my 98 Olds 88. After getting it back a couple weeks ago I been hearing a loud click when going into reverse or drive. Or drive from reverse. It does this while my foot is on the brake and it does not make any noise when turning or driving. Does this sound like it came with bad tie rod ends or does it sound like something else?

Last edited:
I believe there's at least one engine mount that has to be removed for that job. Sounds like someone left something loose.

There's really no way for tie rods or a rack to make a shifting type noise when going from drive to reverse.

Could a steering knuckle make a pop or a click when shifting into reverse or drive? Or CV shaft? This click sounds like its coming right from the passenger front wheel

Last edited:
If it'll click with the wright off it put the front in the air with a helper. Try a mechanics stethoscope or long extension. Against your ear to zero in on the source. The only thing that often makes a loud clicking is a bad CV axle ( shot bearings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back