New small Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had an '88 Fiesta in the family when I first got my license. I used to have a lot of fun with that car, despite only having a 1.1-liter engine. :)

I've run into a few people on the web who have them now. Ford NA imported a handful and loaned them to various people active on the web. One guy is a Focus enthusiast, another write for a car blog, people like that. They've shown up at Cars & Coffee in Orange County.

Old news, and if all goes as planned, I should be one of the first consumers in Canada to test-drive one.
19.gif

According to fiestamovement.com 4000 people applied to be test drivers but only 100 will get a Fiesta for six months. You had to be at least 21 to enter, I'm only 20.

Originally Posted By: fordboy
They look cool, and get almost 40 mpg. But, how safe is it?

Read my slogan

wink.gif

I think people might feel you are a touch biased
wink.gif

But of course I am too
grin2.gif

There are too many ten to fifteen year old small cars on the road that get 40+mpg that I simply can't recommend anyone buy one of the new ones that strain to do better than 35mpg.

I'll take a SOHC 96-99 Saturn, a 1.5 liter 97-02 Mirage, a 1.6 liter 95-99 Sentra, or a 96-00 Civic HX over anything sold today. $1500-$3000 will buy one and that's a down payment on anything new. Save your car payment money for any repairs or upgrades or whatever.

Last edited:
Remember the "new EPA" math sabotages highway MPG by ~30% compared to what you could pull at 55 mph with the AC off.

I wanna meet these EPA drivers and knee them all in the groin. They need to hire regular folks to do their regular routes instead of trying to guess how regular people drive.

Originally Posted By: occupant
There are too many ten to fifteen year old small cars on the road that get 40+mpg that I simply can't recommend anyone buy one of the new ones that strain to do better than 35mpg.

I'll take a SOHC 96-99 Saturn, a 1.5 liter 97-02 Mirage, a 1.6 liter 95-99 Sentra, or a 96-00 Civic HX over anything sold today.

That's all fine'n good for someone who lives in non rust belt climates. For those that don't, your mid-late 90's econoboxes are mostly bone yarded by now.

Joel

We were fueling up in Indiana, and we saw one of these at the gas station. A limited number of "real" people have them here, in funky colors, MT, and euro-spec. It was nice!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Remember the "new EPA" math sabotages highway MPG by ~30% compared to what you could pull at 55 mph with the AC off.

We beat the old EPA numbers by up to 4MPG, routinely, and run the AC all the time.

Its not that hard if you account for physics, and avoid racing to stoplights.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
We had an '88 Fiesta in the family when I first got my license. I used to have a lot of fun with that car, despite only having a 1.1-liter engine. :)
Was it a Fiesta or a Festiva?

Doesn't look any uglier than any other modern econo car. IMO it looks better than the Prius. I predict it will be a major hit for FORD. Rumored to get 40mpg combined city/hwy
2011-ford-fiesta_100179873_l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back