New serpentine belt, Is it ok?

I bought a new Bando serpentine belt for my 4runner from Rockauto but it has protruding threads, Is it alright to use?

Attachments

• IMG_20230317_125338433.jpg
    IMG_20230317_125338433.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20230317_125441271.jpg
    IMG_20230317_125441271.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 156
I think it will be fine, but can not be 100% sure as to whether it will hold up. I've been known to cut the protruding damaged threads on a fairly damaged belt and send them on their way, with good results. Did that for a damaged mower belt last month. Still working fine.

Best to cut that thread clean if you are going to use it.

Last edited:
It likely would be ok but I would return it. You paid full price for it, it shouldn't be blemished and I wouldn't settle for seconds.
Not sure but looking at the pics that i would consider that blemished or seconds .
Looks like when bonding the casing to the belt the knotter if thats the correct term left extra thread ?

It likely would be ok but I would return it. You paid full price for it, it shouldn't be blemished and I wouldn't settle for seconds.
Unfortunately today was the 31 st day since I bought it, Rockauto doesn't accept the return, so I am planning to get a new one.

It is probably fine, but when serpentine belts snap the damage can be surprising and expensive so is it worth the risk for a belt with defects?, personally this is why I always stick with Gates, yes Gates costs more but you get what you pay for.

It is probably fine, but when serpentine belts snap the damage can be surprising and expensive so is it worth the risk for a belt with defects?, personally this is why I always stick with Gates, yes Gates costs more but you get what you pay for.
Isn't Bando Oem for Toyota?

Isn't Bando Oem for Toyota?
Doesn't really matter, it is defective and Gates is known for being one of the best quality belt manufacturers out there.

And I am sure a lot of the fan boys will come out screaming from this response, but as someone who owns a Toyota, Toyota OEM doesn't necessarily mean good.

I think they are made by winding the cord in a spiral fashion on a drum and then injecting the rubber over the cord. When you cut into a spiral, one piece (or two) will be at the edge of the belt and probably stick out. Trim it off and use it.

Not sure but looking at the pics that i would consider that blemished or seconds .
Looks like when bonding the casing to the belt the knotter if thats the correct term left extra thread ?
Loose stitching is not my idea of sound quality control. I wouldn't buy a Bando belt anyway.

I wouldn't buy a Bando belt anyway.
I had to toss a Bando I installed 7 years ago - a leaky CV boot got grease on it and it developed a squeal. I put a Gates on. The Bandos are fine belts - even Ford buys them and marks with the Motorcraft logo. There is, however a difference between OE Toyota/Honda/Subaru/Nissan Bando and the aftermarket. Gates are stiffer and thicker, Bandos go on drama free. I’ll only install Bando or Gates belts if I need a belt.

Back