New Prius...and free oil changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CELICA_XX
Originally Posted By: 5170
I would definitely go with the dealership offered oil changes.

Boy, there sure is a lot of dealership and garage chain hate on bitog, based mostly on anecdotal evidence.

Some people think the dealership is a safe, cozy little place where your car receives expert care from engineers and conscientious technicians.

I watched as a degenerate employee with a scorpion tattoo on his neck moved my brand new car maybe 200 feet from one side of the parking lot to the other at probably 80% throttle.

Noooo thank you.

Some posters here also like spotlighting extremes ^^^

"...scorpion tattoo....on NECK..." LOL

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
Saturday my wife and I purchased a new 2016 Prius for her to drive in her home health business. The car comes with free (5k oci) oil changes up to 25k miles with an unknown conventional oil. Here in lays my dilemma, should I have them do the OCIs free with non synthetic oil, or should I continue doing the oil changes like I always have with a quality synthetic? I am not concerned about the cost savings, as it is actually more convenient for her for me to do them at home anyway.

Don't try to save a few bucks after spending $$,$$$ on a brand-new car. Use TGMO 0W-20 SN as recommended in the manual. You can probably pay a little extra and have the dealer upgrade the free oil changes to TGMO 0W-20 SN.

I'm surprised that the dealer would use an oil not recommended in the manual.

Originally Posted By: 5170
I would definitely go with the dealership offered oil changes.

Boy, there sure is a lot of dealership and garage chain hate on bitog, based mostly on anecdotal evidence.

I watched as a degenerate employee with a scorpion tattoo on his neck moved my brand new car maybe 200 feet from one side of the parking lot to the other at probably 80% throttle.

Noooo thank you.

So you are saying that you don,t like my tattoo
confused.gif

You are correct that they are 10k oci's, but that is with synthetic. The dealer is not using synthetic on these free oil changes, that is why they are doing them at 5k. The manual states that if 0w-20 is not used it should be replaced at 5k intervals.

The manual also specifies that you must not use 5W-20 (mineral oil, apparently assumed) for consecutive changes.

Saturday my wife and I purchased a new 2016 Prius for her to drive in her home health business. The car comes with free (5k oci) oil changes up to 25k miles with an unknown conventional oil. Here in lays my dilemma, should I have them do the OCIs free with non synthetic oil, or should I continue doing the oil changes like I always have with a quality synthetic? I am not concerned about the cost savings, as it is actually more convenient for her for me to do them at home anyway.

I just purchased a Corolla as well. This dealership has TGMO qt bottles on shelves everywhere in the gigantic parts dept. I wanted to see what oil was used in the Corolla, and was advised 0W-20. Incidentally, they also had Mobil1 5W-20 stacked as display items, no other oil. So I asked, "what about cars that use conventional?" He pointed me over to one of the TGMO walls and there TGMO 5W-30, 10W-30 and even 10W-40. Maybe that's what your dealership is using?

Originally Posted By: wemay
Maybe that's what your dealership is using?

My issue with dealer service departments is that you really never know WHAT they use.

Also, rushed technicians, cut corners, miscommunication, questionable skill levels, etc...

Maybe that's what your dealership is using?

My issue with dealer service departments is that you really never know WHAT they use.

Also, rushed technicians, cut corners, miscommunication, questionable skill levels, etc...

I can understand that. Because of my slight apprehension and knowing i have the maint pkg as well, the Sales Mgr offered to take me on a tour of the Svc Dept and i must say, i was impressed with the cleanliness and how everything was well sorted. It looked like one of those "How its Made Dream Car" editions. They also advised ONLY using TGMO and for those who want it...Mobil 1. Nothing else, and with the amount of quart bottles they had everywhere, i believe it.

Originally Posted By: CR94
The manual also specifies that you must not use 5W-20 (mineral oil, apparently assumed) for consecutive changes.

Exactly! The dealer isn't following the recommendations of their own manufacturer. I will do them myself.

Parts Dept

eqbfk6.jpg

2janfxi.jpg

2iuw4ls.jpg

Wow I've never seen so much oil at any dealerships I've visited in all my lifetime of driving. Love it especially the walls all lined up with motor oil.

But what's in the tank in the service department? They aren't pouring quarts into every car. That would just be silly.

Toyota doesn't make larger containers than 1 qt? Seems like a lot of bulk and waste unless they only do a few changes a day. Then what do they do with the partial qts that get leftover.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Toyota doesn't make larger containers than 1 qt? Seems like a lot of bulk and waste unless they only do a few changes a day. Then what do they do with the partial qts that get leftover.

Hello hatt,

You asked what's in the tank? I posted their link showing they only use TGMO. I never said they only use qt bottles.

Originally Posted By: hatt
But what's in the tank in the service department? They aren't pouring quarts into every car. That would just be silly.

Exactly! The dealer isn't following the recommendations of their own manufacturer. I will do them myself.

The car gets serviced every 5k miles but they don't change the oil until it reaches 10k miles. The 5k service includes a tire rotation and inspection. Same thing for the 15k and 25k service. The oil gets changed at 20k miles, so it really gets only two oil changes. The wording is confusing I agree.

I had a free UOA done that confirmed the Toyota dealer was using TGMO 0w20 oil with great results. Car had 60k miles on it.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

The car gets serviced every 5k miles but they don't change the oil until it reaches 10k miles. The 5k service includes a tire rotation and inspection. Same thing for the 15k and 25k service. The oil gets changed at 20k miles, so it really gets only two oil changes. The wording is confusing I agree.

I had a free UOA done that confirmed the Toyota dealer was using TGMO 0w20 oil with great results. Car had 60k miles on it.

I wouldn't assume that. The first three oil changes are at 5000miles, and then it goes up to 10000miles if I remember my manual correctly.

Make sure they use the correct grade and not a substitution.

I work at a toyota dealer and 0w20 and 5w30 is on tap, and 5w20 is in a 55 gallon drum. Synthetic 5w30 is available in quart jugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back