New PP data shet on their web-site

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it that the cold crank numbers for the 5w-50 are given at -30 deg c rather than -35 deg c like the 5w-20/30?

Oh well.

The CCS viscosity for the 5W-50 at -30C, is correct.

The -35C CCS temperature for the 5W-20 and 5W-30 is a misprint -- that temperature should be -30C for 5W's.

The -30C CCS temperature for the 10W-30 is also wrong, that should be -25C.

pennzoilplatinumsep2007kg4.jpg

pennzoilplatinumfeb2008um4.jpg

I notice these differences between the 2007 sheet and the 2008 one for 5W30 (The weight that I use )
Viscosity index:was 169 now 166
Pour Point: was -39 now -45 ° C
MRV Viscosity: was 14,800 (-35) now 15,700 (-35)
HTHS: was 3.1 now 3.0
Noack: was 12.5 now 11.6
(and other minor changes)

What is the opinions of you experts, are these changes significant and do these changes represent a change in formulation or (as I suspect) only the variation between rounds of tests?

Johnny, Can you shed any light on this?

Last edited:
Could be anything. Formulation or additive change, a little more of this or a little less of that, full moon, who knows.

Here's my theory and this is for all oil companies: Let the chemist that formulate the oils issue tech sheets. Not someone setting at a computer trying to figure out all the numbers. Or at least let the chemist proof read the darn things.

sceva,

According to those deltas one thing is for sure - PP ain't getting any better.
My guess is they are reducing costs on some components and/or in manufacturing process to increase profit without increasing PP prices.

DISCLAIMER: Pure speculation
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bob_ninja
sceva,

My guess is they are reducing costs on some components and/or in manufacturing process to increase profit without increasing PP prices.

wink.gif

Agree with your DISCLAIMER.

Originally Posted By: bob_ninja
sceva,

wink.gif

How do you figure? You can't tell much from thos PDS, plus they look better in certain areas such as noack volaltility.

Geeez, you are a tough crowd.

Doesn't a higher VI imply better product? I forget the details now, but remember that higher VI is better.
Higher MRV implies worse winter performance, right?
Lower NOACK means less stable, right?

Its MRV was poor before. I use Esso XD3 0W30, has MRV 11,200@-35C
Also CCS 5K@-30C vs 6K@-35C
Not to mention a cheap dino like FormulaSheel dino 5W30 CCS 6K@-30

So some specs are underwhelming.

Still it is a good oil and I bought a bunch of it, so not saying don't use. Just some specs that were less than steller before seem to have slightly degraded (not much though)

If I didn't interpret some numbers or their meaning, by all means explain my error.
thanks

Lower NOACK means more stable, the lower the better.
higher VI in general implies better product only among base oils, not necessarily so much in finished products. IOW, performance in other areas can overshadow and one product may be overall better with a lower VI than a comparable product with higher VI than by judging by VI alone.

I'm really suprised PP doesn't come in 0W-30....that grade is becoming popular, and it is more than easily achievable with Group III base....are their ANY SOPUS 0W-30 oils? Only one I can think of is Rotella SB 0W-30.....

0w-30 is one of the new grades listed on their site, but I have yet to see it or the other new grades in stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back