New Pour Points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone mentioned this the other day, but the pour point of Mobil 1 is now listed at as high as -36C in some grades. I just pulled up some technical data sheets of Pennzoil Platinum, and the pour points on their Xw30 weights have gotten higher as well.

Did the API change the measuring technique or has this been a formulation change?

There have been some documented instances of incorrect stats posted by the oil companies, so I would do some more investigation before reaching any conclusions.

But where exactly did you see those stats? M1 5W-30 is still listed as -48.
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_5W-30.asp

The High Mileage Oils do tend to have higher pour points, and all the ones I know of are not ILSAC GF-4 certified, so it would not surprise me if their pour points were a bit higher.

The Mobil 1 Technical Spec sheet lists the pour point for 5W-30 as -48C using the ASTM D 5949 method.

The MSDS does not list a method, and the only date I see is 2002 at the bottom. I don't think they are required to list accurate pour points or flash points beyond a certain range in the MSDS. For example, the flash point is list as >200C in the MSDS, and 230C in the Spec Sheet.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
The Mobil 1 Technical Spec sheet lists the pour point for 5W-30 as -48C using the ASTM D 5949 method.

The MSDS does not list a method, and the only date I see is 2002 at the bottom. I don't think they are required to list accurate pour points or flash points beyond a certain range in the MSDS. For example, the flash point is list as >200C in the MSDS, and 230C in the Spec Sheet.

Here is the exact link: http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims/AlternateFormat.aspx?DocumentID=563516&DocumentFormat=RFT

Maybe a different measurement method as I asked before?

This isn't something that would make me shy away from using it. It's just something I found interesting.

The revision date in the upper left header on your link says September of 2008. The year 2002 wouldn't make sense anyway because it wouldn't be for an API SM oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyquist
The revision date in the upper left header on your link says September of 2008. The year 2002 wouldn't make sense anyway because it wouldn't be for an API SM oil.

Ahh, I had to click on "View.. Header and Footer" to see it. My guess is that is a MS Word "header" on all their MSDS documents that were transferred to a new format, and does not necessarily reflect when the contents of the MSDS were changed (although it could reflect a content change).

Like I said, the specs in an MSDS are only related to hazardous chemical reporting requirements and may not be accurate beyond that. For example, the flash point is listed as >200C in the MSDS, and 230C in the Product Data Sheet.

At best, you might say there is a discrepancy between the Product Data Sheet and the MSDS, but we cannot say for certain that the MSDS is the "latest" or most accurate document.

I would send an email or call Mobil if you want to know which one is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back