New Pennzoil Platnum HE Oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
The new Pennzoil Platinum HE oil filters are engineered with an exclusive synthetic-blended 2-ply gradient density filter media designed to remove 99% (ISO 4548-12 at 30 microns) of engine oil impurities while trapping on average over 10 grams of contaminants based on industry tests (Based on proposed USCAR specifications).

• Silicone anti-drain back valve lasts up to 2X longer than conventional nitrile valve to protect against dry starts.

• Keeps oil cleaner than standard oil filters for superior engine protection.

• PTFE impregnated NBR sealing gasket for ease of installation and removal.

• Steel spiral-wound center tube and end caps provide increased internal strength and durability compared to cardboard and plastic components.

• Meets or exceeds proposed industry specifications for capacity and efficiency.
102226pennzoilL_00000054369.jpg

Nice but whats the beta at 15 microns - 30 is a boulder. Mirrors Purolator and Bosch marketing. Its like shopping for a screen for you house windows and the screen advertises it keep out 99 percent of all Elephants and 100% of all Rosie O'Donnels but only 1 % of tse-tse.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Nice but whats the beta at 15 microns - 30 is a boulder. Mirrors Purolator and Bosch marketing. Its like shopping for a screen for you house windows and the screen advertises it keep out 99 percent of all Elephants and 100% of all Rosie O'Donnels but only 1 % of tse-tse.

crackmeup2.gif

As far a the beta, the newest synthetic filters (Purolator & Wix) don't seem to be on par with the blended or celulose filters.

I think the current and future filter trend is AWAY from ultra high efficiency, toward lower efficiency and better suitability for long drain intervals.

Of course I still like a high efficiency media with a ginormous surface area to enable flow and extended drain... which is why I love the FL-1A (and equivalent) filter format so much more than the little thimble filters so many modern engines are getting stuck with.

I seems the filtering efficiency seems to take more of a hit when more synthetic media is used.

I'll be surprised if it stays on the market for very long. Most people who buy the regular Pennzoil filters buy them because they are cheap or they get them installed at a Quickie-Lube and it was installed because the the price factor.
Very few people will spend extra money for a premium Pennzoil filter. The ones that do upgrade to a premium filter will buy from a company with an established name.

While I know what you mean, Pennzoil is an established name. If Mobil 1 can do it, why not Pennzoil Platinum? Seems like people are spending money on a premium oil from Pennzoil. IMO it is worth the try by Pennzoil.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
While I know what you mean, Pennzoil is an established name. If Mobil 1 can do it, why not Pennzoil Platinum? Seems like people are spending money on a premium oil from Pennzoil. IMO it is worth the try by Pennzoil.

Good point!

Quote:

Exaggerate much? The new master of hyperbole. I've read river_rat's testing of Purolator P1 and Classic posted here, think I'll believe him and the majority filters ISO tested 99.9% @20um and 97.5@ 20um. You must be referring to the Toyota/Denso oem testing at ~50% @ 20um (Amsoil test), now that's a seive. I will grant that Bosch is vague on micron level but river_rat's testing indicated the Bosch Prem. to be virtually identical to P1. Again, good enough for me

As for the topic's filter, seems many are assuming it's made by Puro, perhaps, but I can't tell positively by looking at the pic. If it is though, it would be made to PZ's specs, same as with any Puro 'made for'. Like to see more views of the filter.

Well, considering synthetic media 'can' go longer, it's able to hold up longer and hold more(not reach capacity during 'lengthier' OCIs while compared to blend or especially paper filters).

At what point does this mileage(time for some) translate the 'preference' of synthetic oil filters? Each app varies. For me, the added debris capacity AND an already outstanding efficiency compared to the OE filter for my only car = a win.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

Exaggerate much? The new master of hyperbole. I've read river_rat's testing of Purolator P1 and Classic posted here, think I'll believe him and the majority filters ISO tested 99.9% @20um and 97.5@ 20um. You must be referring to the Toyota/Denso oem testing at ~50% @ 20um (Amsoil test), now that's a seive. I will grant that Bosch is vague on micron level but river_rat's testing indicated the Bosch Prem. to be virtually identical to P1. Again, good enough for me

As for the topic's filter, seems many are assuming it's made by Puro, perhaps, but I can't tell positively by looking at the pic. If it is though, it would be made to PZ's specs, same as with any Puro 'made for'. Like to see more views of the filter.
I was talking about marketing not performance. Given most bearing have a running clearance of under 15microns, good fine sieve beta spec is becoming more important in curtailing engine wear. A 20um particle would streak the bearing everytime through. Most guys here care about premature engine wear; My cars are sold before 60k, so I care about performance and adequate OP at high rpm, and prefer low-e filters.

Quote:
I was talking about marketing not performance. Given most bearing have a running clearance of under 15microns...

List the filters marketing a 15um beta spec efficiency? The ISO test 4548-12 is at 20um, and it has been stated to be the current standard. Considering that a couple oems recently tested don't even come close to that spec, ultra fine 10-15um filtering appears to be less a concern to them than to you.

And yes, the fact that the current PZ quicky lube filter is currently made by Purolator, one could as-su-me that the topic'd filter is made by them. Likely it is, but there's not enough information provided here to confirm that assumption.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Nice and shiny -- and matches the oil jug. Where do we buy?

More importantly, when does AAP start carrying these so that we can use their coupon codes in connection with the inevitable MIR?
Look for this filter to be featured in oil change specials with Ultra and maybe Plat.

Neat. Doubt we will ever see them here, and if so, they will be pricey (M1's are $15 here!).....

Originally Posted By: Ram01
They are being sold at walmart

Did you happen to catch the price on them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back