"New / Old" Smith & Wesson 5946 Stainless 9 MM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a beautiful, new in the box S&W 5946 all Stainless 9 MM today at Cabela's. These guns went out of production at or around 1999. The story was that S&W had manufactured a big order for the NYPD. Per a contract they had with them before they ceased civilian production. S&W then warehoused those guns. Then, for whatever reason, the NYPD no longer needed them. I'm assuming they went to Glock's or whatever. So S&W was more or less "stuck" with them. I'm sure there is more to it than that. But that's it in a nutshell.

Enter Cabela's who bought the entire production run. These guns are beautiful! BRAND NEW. All satin Stainless Steel throughout. No Aluminum or plastic.... (Except for the Polymer black grips). And the best part is they all come with Trijicon Novack Night Sights, and 3, 15 round Stainless Steel magazines. I've wanted one of these for a long time, and was kicking myself for not buying one when I had the chance. (Most of the used one's I've come across were pretty beat up. Police trade in's, and the like). So I jumped at the opportunity to snag a brand new one in the box. These are double action only, with a spur less hammer. Basically, if you like the 1911, you'll like the ergonomics, along with the heft of this weapon. The Trijicon Night Sights are dated 2014. So they were either added later. Or else the guns were assembled at or around that time from parts S&W already had. Either way they are brand new guns with relatively new night sights.

The first thing I did when I got home was go into a dark closet, and check the brilliance of the sights. They are bright as any I've ever seen. My wife really likes this gun, and wants one for herself. So I think I'm going back and getting another one...... Or two! This is the gun as Cabela's advertises it. (You'll have to copy and paste it, as it won't hot link for some reason). I'll try to get some pics up in a day or 2.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/handguns/semiautomatic-pistols%7C/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105526980/i/105529680/smith-wesson-model-cf-pistols/2407616.uts

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
With the weight it should be a nice shooter but they're pretty proud of them. Did they cost that when they were in production? You can buy Trigicons for $100 so call it $700.

I just checked the 36th Edition of Fjestad Blue Book Of Gun Values. They list the S&W Model 5946 DAO only, with a, "last MSR of $751.00". With a last production date of 1999. So Cabela's price really isn't that bad with all things considered. As I mentioned, the gun comes with 3, 15 round Stainless Steel magazines. So when you figure 2 extra mags at at least $26 each, (current Midway price), and add in the Trijicons at a C-Note, you're down to under $650.00 for the gun with 1 mag. Not bad. That's in painted, ("Polycoated"), CZ-75 territory. (Stainless CZ-75's run in the $725-$750 range without night sights).

This is a 40 ounce, beautifully finished, all Stainless Steel pistol. They are starting to become rather scarce. Made when frames were machined from steel by craftsman. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Polymer handguns. I love Glocks, and own 6 of them. They for sure have their purpose in today's modern self defense handgun world. But they just aren't a gun that anyone wants to take a close look at.

Anyway, I liked it so much I just got back from Cabela's and bought another one. One thing I noticed after I got the second one home. Is one slide is marked "Springfield Massachusetts", and the other "Houlton Maine". Other than that, the guns are identical. So I'm a happy camper. I finally got a couple of pistols I've been wanting for a long time, at a decent price, that have been out of production for 18 years. And was fortunate enough to find them both brand new in the box. Now it's off to the range!

I think these were in production around the time your night sights were made. These were a special thing for the NYPD from what I've heard the regular production ended a long time ago.

It should have a date of manufacture on the factory box somewhere

I had a 5904 and hated the DA/SA. I wonder how good you can get these DAO triggers. $800 isn't bad for a quality all steel gun these days. These all stainless guns will be working fine for the next couple hundred years.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I think these were in production around the time your night sights were made. These were a special thing for the NYPD from what I've heard the regular production ended a long time ago.

It should have a date of manufacture on the factory box somewhere

I'm thinking that as well. They most likely had the frames, slides, and parts all warehoused..... Lot's of them. Then assembled and packaged them when Cabela's bought up the run. Just for the dickens of it, I checked most of the Cabela's stores, and couldn't find one that didn't have them in stock. Although I'm sure in states like Illinois, they are shipping them with 10 round mags. I also read that they, (Smith & Wesson), were thinking of bringing the 5900 Series back into production. But I've checked extensively, and I cannot find any evidence of that.

Originally Posted By: hatt
I had a 5904 and hated the DA/SA. I wonder how good you can get these DAO triggers. $800 isn't bad for a quality all steel gun these days. These all stainless guns will be working fine for the next couple hundred years.

There are some youtube videos on trigger jobs they can be made very smooth

I see these guns all the time.
The 3rd Generation Smith Autos don't usually bring alot of money. I see them in Beautiful condition at pawn shops all the time for $500. I usually snap them up for $350 or less. I bought one in a nice Smith Wesson Aluminum lockable case, I not sure if it was ever fired with three magazines for $375. $800 is crazy money for those Smith's. I like them, but most people don't like them and like the Poly Pistols.

I bought a Police Trade in about two years back. Volusia County Sheriff Dept. Double action only, night sights for $289 plus transfer fees out of Shotgun news.
Those Blue Book prices don't mean anything on guns. People want to treat guns and ammo like a commodity but it's never going to be. People are too fickle.

Interesting. Ill have to look next time Im in cabelas.

Essentially a 9mm 1911, no?

Do those night sights get dim after so long?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Essentially a 9mm 1911, no?

These are much different than 1911s, because they are thick double stacks and are double action only. They have more in common with a Beretta 92 than 1911. Some models were available in DA/SA but these LEO models are DAO.

Here is a guide for finding the models they made

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Do those night sights get dim after so long?

In a word, yes. The Tritium gas used in most all night sights has a radioactive half life of between 12 and 14 years. That basically means that after 13 years or so, the sights will be half as bright as when they were new. I have some that old, and they are still very useable. But if you compare them to "fresh" night sights, they will be noticeably dimmer.

This is good to know and watch for when purchasing a used handgun. Trijicon dates all their night sights. For example on mine that came with these new Smith & Wesson's, there is a small "14" marked on the front sight. This designates a manufacture date of 2014. This date is good to know, and can be used in negotiating the price on a used handgun. As was mentioned, night sights can cost upward of $100.00+ to replace. I've come across some unscrupulous sellers at gun shows, who will remove the date with Acetone. If you don't see a date suffix it usually means older night sights that either do, or will shortly require replacement.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Those Blue Book prices don't mean anything on guns.

For used value perhaps not. But they're accurate on dates of manufacture, along with the last listed MSRP. In this case $751.00 in 1999. (The 1999 edition of Gun Digest confirms that price). So paying $49.00 more than that, for a brand new gun in the factory box, almost 2 decades later isn't bad at all. Sure, one could argue that no one pays MSRP for guns. But you rarely find 18 year old guns in brand new, factory sealed boxes. Even if they're a dime a dozen on the used market. Let alone find them with extra magazines and current night sights. If you do, it's been my experience it's at some gun show, being sold by some guy who has it priced up there with the Hope Diamond.

As I mentioned, I haven't had much luck in finding anything I would be interested in buying on the used market. And believe me, I've been looking. The one's I've found in the price ranges you mentioned were all pretty beat up. And I'm not much into, "project guns". So for me anyway, these were a good find. And price wise compare to what other similar new production, 100% Stainless Steel, semi autos would sell for similarly equipped.

I'm a fan of the 3rd Gen S&W pistols. My first gun was a 5906. Still have it. About $700 new, with adjustable sights, in 1990. I got it via the VP of marketing at S&W (my Dad's friend) for considerably less. I carried it during Desert Storm in a holster made for it by my parachute riggers.

Finely made, reliable, accurate, heavy. Built to last.

Don't get me wrong. I am a big fan of the 3rd generation Smith Wesson automatics. I love them and snap them up all the time. I would rather pay $800 for what you got then a Glock or any 1911. It's just terrible how gun prices have become so inflated especially in the 1911 type guns. Unimaginable.
Higher than I would have paid but I also think you got the best gun for your money too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back