New / Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This question has probably been asked a million times here before, but, here goes one more. I have 2 gallon bottles of Amsoil 0w-20 in never opened bottles. The bottles are 9 years old. Is the oil still good? I know some are going to say, why take the chance, just toss it. Can it lose its qualities from just sitting there, albeit, the better part of a decades? If I remember correctly, I believe it is signature series.

I use cans of 10w40 in My Camaros. They are maybe 20 years old, maybe older? Some are getting quite rusty. But no cam issues and both have high lift flat tappet cams with high spring pressure.

As long as there is no moisture. You will be fine. Just mixed it up very well. I wouldn't throw old oil away unless it was contaminated. I would ask Pablo's opinion. He is our Amsoil expert. Although; I'm sure there are others. Good luck!

Originally Posted by burla
toss it my way to be safe

He said Amsoil not Redline
lol.gif

LOL

Originally Posted by burla
toss it my way to be safe

It's fine to use....several UOAs posted here with 10+ year old oil.

I've often used oil that was much older than that and had very good UOAs .....having said that, I've found that some older oils have a good amount of settling on the bottom and all the 'shaking' in the world won't put it back in suspension. In those cases I've cut open the jug and stirred it up manually (with a little oil) until it's back in suspension and then add it right before starting the engine.

The worst case of this 'settling' was some SJ rated Castrol Synblend 5w30 that I recently used....it had a layer of whitish goo on the bottom (not the usual small amount of black residue that I presume to be moly dropout) that could be scooped out with a spoon. I stirred it up and it went back into suspension. I've recently used some SJ rated QS synthetic that had no dropout ....while some SM rated Havoline had almost as much (also whitish goo) as the Castrol Synblend. I now check my empty oil bottles for dropout with a flashlight and stir up what remains if necessary....of course with black bottles (like Havoline) this is difficult and cutting them open becomes necessary.

So long as the oil meets API spec of what it is going in, there is no issue.
The 3-5 year "shelf life" from manufacturers is a liability life for an oil not meeting the spec of the engine it is being put in.

From Valvoline:

Does motor oil expire? If not, how long does motor oil generally last?

Valvoline motor oils do not have documented expiration dates. When stored under optimal conditions, the product remains stable for an extended period of time. It can be used as long as the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating on the label continues to meet or exceed the requirements listed in your car's owner's manual. If the rating is still current, we advise you shake the container before use to blend any additives that may have settled.

since oils are blended at temperature, if there is settlement they may need heat. Fortunately you are putting them intol a great heat generator and mixing machine. Make sure you get it all into the engine and run it,

oils should be stored in a constant mild room temperature says the manufacturers + sealed never opened is good!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back