New Napa starter lasted 5 months!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a confidence builder I tell you.He ordered me another one but it's sad when you have to put old parts back on to get around.
smirk2.gif

You should try one from [censored]-Tire. Lasted me 3 months and 2 days in my old Ford and they gave me the "Sorry we can't do anything, it's out of warranty". Last time I purchased it there...

Almost won't sell any reman starters or alternators. Prefer for the customer to purchase and bring with them. THAT way I can charge labor for all the following warranty replacements!

Bob

yeah, I had an o'reilly starter back in June. it lasted three days before it wouldn't stop starting, I would turn the key, the starter started the engine, but it wouldn't stop cranking itself constantly even with the key out of the ignition. the starter failed their test when I brought it back, funny it passed before I put it into my car. all I got was "sorry" I got my money back and bought a new reman OEM starter from GM. As you see in my other thread, I'm having some issues.. I should have took the Chevy shop for their "lifetime warranty" if I let them do it. The parts guy said it was only a "one year warranty" if I install that new starter I bought.

Nice quote alreadygone

At first I thought may-be the safety/neutral switch on the tranny was on the fritz.Jeep used a toyota tranny (AW-4) behind the 4.0L six for years.The switch at high mileage may get dirty inside a good cleaning/lube is in order.Trouble is getting it off the tranny after a bazillion miles is tricky.Most times they break and a new one costs $400 at the dealer.I got mine off nice,cleaned/lubed it,replaced it and the starter did the same thing a weak wirring noise with no engagement.Battery is great,connections spotless.Put the old starter back on and have been driving it with-out a glitch since.I figured I would put a new starter on after 262,000km because I go deep in the bush during moose hunting and NEED a reliable vehicle.The only good thing is Napa gave me a lifetime warranty and changing a starter on a 4.0L is about as hard as changing an air filter,2 bolts and 2 wires

Greaser,

I had a problem burning up starters on an old Ford F 250. It turned out that the main heavy wire from the battery to the starter (I think) had corroded internally so that not enough amps would go to the starter. If I remember correct, this caused the starter to overheat and go bad. I replaced three lifetime warranty starters before we found the real problem.....sorry NAPA.

Can you even buy a brand new starter or alternator anymore? I just get the lifetime warranty remans cause that's all they have at the local parts stores.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Greaser,

I had a problem burning up starters on an old Ford F 250. It turned out that the main heavy wire from the battery to the starter (I think) had corroded internally so that not enough amps would go to the starter. If I remember correct, this caused the starter to overheat and go bad. I replaced three lifetime warranty starters before we found the real problem.....sorry NAPA.
I've heard of this also but usually on vehicles that have had bad maintenance and the starter was used for long periods of cranking due to bad ignition,timing issues,bad gas etc.My Jeep was bought new and is meticulously maintained and starts with the flick of the wrist.The old starter with 260,000km works perfect. Wouldn't a narrow gauge positive wire, due to interior corrosion, affect the older starter with more severity? But you know anything and everything is possible in the automotive repair field and I'll check it out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Can you even buy a brand new starter or alternator anymore? I just get the lifetime warranty remans cause that's all they have at the local parts stores.
They give you two choices around here...brand new (country unkown)reman both lifetime warranty.

I'm my experience, NAPA rebuilt starters last about a year and 12k miles. I'm on my third in as many years for the same application.

So I see very little discussion of going to the dealer and using on of theirs. Are they equally bad, or is this more of an issue of "frugality"?

I work in parts at a local Ford dealer. We get people in all the time that are tired of changing out their "lifetime" starters and alternators. Sure, ours may cost a little more, but there IS a difference. How long did your original factory starter last?
What's your time worth?

Most of my wholesale customers (your local garage), use OEM over aftermarket because they don't want to do the job twice.

On my '83 Supra I used to have, I bought a aftermarket alternator and had it installed. Three months later it was shedding black dust/powder and started making noise. Was still charging though. I called Toyota this time and found out the OEM reman was only about $50.00 more. Had no more problems with the OEM. I was able to get a refund on the bad part, but now had to pay labor for a second time. So how much did I actually save?
Now, normally I would have changed it myself but it was a pain to get to.

Not that the OEM's are exempt from bad parts, but the quality is usually much higher to go along with the price.

Last edited:
Conditinally agree with jimvegas. OEM reman's are usually outsourced (by mfgr, not dealer) to the cheapest bidder. OEM new may also be outsourced instead of original mfgr after a few years. After several years OEM new may not be available at all.

Bob

Luck of the draw sometimes. My starter for my LT1 is going strong after two years, from autozone. Actually was an upgrade for me since the LT1 vettes used a smaller OSGR starter with a touch more starting power, than the 94-95 B-car LT1 starter. Bolt on an Go :) Plus it was $40 cheaper than my huge stock starter.

have a alt from autozone that was on my ranger. Still working noise free, dust free, etc after 1.5yrs.

I've mentioned this before with wheel bearings, and I trust the same is true with starters... aftermarket parts are made to different qualty standards than OEM, and the quality is generally lower. Whereas OEM parts are scrutinized by the automaker via warranty returns, few complaints reach the aftermarket manufacturers. After all, as long as the aftermarket part lasts through the the mechanic's warranty (90 days?), the complaints go generally unheard.

I used to buy from NAPA because I felt their stuff was of a higher quality. Last part I bought from them had 'made in China' on the front. Places change. I put an AutoZone lifetime warranty rebuilt starter in my van a 18 ago. Its worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back