New motor....your lubing suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, im new to the board as a poster but not as a reader. Just wanted to say there are some very intelligent people on here that I would like opinions from.

I am going to be installing my newly rebuilt Integra Type R motor in my car this weekend. The internals are forged rods and pistons, 84.5 mm bore, stock stroke and aftermarket Crower cams (403's.) This motor is going to be in a daily driven car in Los Angeles with occasional track days to be seen.

The question is: from the first start of the motor, break in period and then onto the plongest life i can get, what products do the oil gods suggest? I would like the suggestions from best to best bang for buck.

Thanks in advanced
josh

[ February 08, 2003, 06:17 PM: Message edited by: 2dark2bslow ]

cool engine. Here is my recommendation, no scientific basis but it always works for me. Personally I would run a light weight conventional oil for the break-in and first 5000 miles. Something like Castrol GTX 5w-30 should work fine, has a bit of moly to protect when you begin to push it. Run the first batch of oil for 600 miles break-in and then swap it out. Then run the second batch for 4000 miles max. You can even change it more often and sooner if you prefer. After 5000 miles you might want to run one of the higher quality synthetics such as Redline, Synergyn, Amsoil, or Mobil1 in no particular order. Schaeffers could be a good choice as well for a synthetic blend. You can run any of those oils for 7000-9000 miles with oil analysis testing to support it. If you live in a warm weather climate a 10w-30 weight should work well. good luck with the new setup.

I used to start the break-in process by building motors (no four pots, though) with a lot of moly on the lobes and lifters, and filling the sump with XLD, and the pump with petroleum jelly (to get quick prime).

Start, run at fast idle until pressure was good, and bring to 2000RPM, for a half an hour, while checking leaks and pressures, and the like.

Drain the oil, refill then drive it reasonably easy for 500 miles.

Drain, refill, then drive it a bit harder, some reasonably hard acceleration, followed by throttle off over-run down from the revs. (About 10 times every time it was driven).

Change the oil again at 1000miles, 1500 miles, and 2000 miles.

Then I chose my "good oil" (whatever I was thinking at that stage in my life was good.

And drove it like I wanted.

thnx for the replies...yeh i hope this motor will make good power and be reliable...tired of breaking motors. i happen to be pretty good at it now if anyone needs help, just im me
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Quick_lude:
For this high revving VTEC engine I'd suggest M1 0w40 after break in.

Two things that are important in my book are moly content and the HTHS numbers. I'm flowing Schaeffer 10w30 in my stock '97 R, but may pick up a case or two of 15w40 (higher HTHS) for my track days. Best of luck.

2dark2bslow
What you use to run the motor in and what oil will be used for it's life cycle will probably be two different for best of both.

Did you buy the # 84161 spring and retainer kit?

What brand synlubes are the most conveniate to buy for you?

For fun we would use a large paper or metal filter cone when we drain oil on new engines/cars. You will be suprised how much "stuff" collects at the bottom of the filter. We put it in a small bottle and hand it to customers when they come it to pick up their cars. The paper filter are the best,they look like a large cone with cut outs in the bottoms that has filter/screen material attached.
Good Luck With The New Engine

quote:

Originally posted by dragboat:
2dark2bslow
What you use to run the motor in and what oil will be used for it's life cycle will probably be two different for best of both.

Did you buy the # 84161 spring and retainer kit?

What brand synlubes are the most conveniate to buy for you?

i actually using importbuilders spring retainer setup...got a good deal and havent heard anything bad at all about them. Im in LA so i can get pretty much anything...just car about longevity of motor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back