New Turbo Stroker Motor Need Oil Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello everyone I'm a new member and I'm and I'm in dire need of advice. I have lurked here for awhile and have searched and but because my next mistake could be very costly I thought I would just ask.

This weekend I will be putting a NEW stroked 2.3L 4 cylinder in my car. Motor will need break in time.

Motor started life a 2.0L and has since been bored, sleeved, and stroked to 2.3L.
Attached to it will be a kinda small but powerful T-2 turbo making about 375hp to the wheels.

So my questions are:
What oil should I use for break in procedures? From my research I should just use a conventional oil with a thicker weight like 10-40 or 15-40 for about 500 miles then make the switch to full synthetic?

After break in what oil should I use for mixed street driving and track duties? Car will be involved in Drag, Drift and maybe some AutoX racing but most miles will be street driving ie. stop and go and highway. Again from my reading I've seen Redline being highly recommended. Though I'm not sure the viscosity. Also, it's a Nissan motor with a notoriously weak valve train. Rev range will be into 7k rpms and head and spring lubrication is essential.

Car will only be driven in summer. Though it may see temps in the high 40's to low 50s but only on very seldom occasions.

Suffice to say this is a very expensive setup and I want to protect it as best I can.

Thanks in advace.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
sr20det block? M1 0w40 or 5w40 rotella would be my choices.

SR20DET

Internals as follows:

Peak Performance 2.35L 91mm Billet stroker crank
· Custom 90mm JE Pistons
· Darton cast iron cylinder sleeves
· Carillo con-rods
· WPC treated ACL race bearings for mains and con-rods
· WPC treated piston rings
· Tomei upgraded large oil pan

Now, would you recommend those oil for after the break in I assume?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
Ive built a few Sr20det's. My choice would be M1 0w40. Are you running the stock t25 that comes on the red top engine?

No turbo is the 2871r with a .86 exhaust housing. It made 375 on 14psi to the wheels. I have the fuel system in place for well over 500hp I just won't be upgrading the turbo until I learn to drive it at 375. It's already faster then anything I have ever drove lol. 375 in a 2600 lb car is [censored] fast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 906
Originally Posted By: SubyRoo
Ive built a few Sr20det's. My choice would be M1 0w40. Are you running the stock t25 that comes on the red top engine?

No turbo is the 2871r with a .86 exhaust housing. It made 375 on 14psi to the wheels. I have the fuel system in place for well over 500hp I just won't be upgrading the turbo until I learn to drive it at 375. It's already faster then anything I have ever drove lol. 375 in a 2600 lb car is [censored] fast.

Excellent choice on the turbo. I built one for a friend with the same turbo you have with forged internals. It was right around the same power output as yours. I had an 04 STi at the time and a friend had an Evo VIII both having some work done. The 240 blew them both away. Made me wish I didn't sell the 240 to my friend lol. Ive been searching for a coupe to build but the price of those cars has gone up considerably since I built that one years ago.

Last edited:
You can use synthetic for break in but since it's going to be a short interval, conventional is cheaper. If it needs a multi grade 40, M1 0w40 is the best bang for the buck in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back