New Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife got a 2014 Mazda 6. The manual says 0W-20 in the US, 5W-30 if you live anywhere else. This [censored] scares me. I read it as,"If you really want to protect your engine, use 5W-30. If you want to meet CAFE standards at the expense of your engine, use 0W-20.

What would you do?

0W-20, I believe the reasoning for this in the manual is availability. Not as easy to find 0w-20 in other countries.

Use the 0W-20.

If you're worried about using a 'light' 0W-20 like Mazda's OEM oil, you can use a slightly 'heavier' 0W-20 like Mobil 1 AFE instead.

I like Mazda's high moly GF-5 0W-20 due to the heavy dose of Mo and the super high VI.

Use the Mazda bottle 0W20 with the high moly count made by Idemetsu. Have not seen a lubrication related issue with cars using this oil, or any for that matter.

Originally Posted By: ruxCYtable
My wife got a 2014 Mazda 6. The manual says 0W-20 in the US, 5W-30 if you live anywhere else. This [censored] scares me. I read it as,"If you really want to protect your engine, use 5W-30. If you want to meet CAFE standards at the expense of your engine, use 0W-20.

What would you do?

I have never seen an owners manual that says to use one weight in the US and heavier weights in other countries? Your owners manual actually says this??

Lots of manufacturers have recommendations like this. One reason is that markets outside the US and Canada haven't embraced the "thin" oil concept (yet) so xxw/20 oils aren't readily available.

I doubt it makes a difference in terms of engine longevity and you want to preserve your warranty, so going with the factory recommendation is a good decision.

Personally, I'd say 5W20 is the best oil to choose but I run 0W20 so I don't get any comments from my service guy.

My 2014 Mazda manual use "0w20 in US & Can". The manual doesn't say use 5w30 IF 0w20 is not availiable outside of US & Can. Therefore, once outside the waranty period or earler, I will use a synthetic 5w30 which, I feel has a larger safety margen over 0w20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc
Personally, I'd say 5W20 is the best oil to choose but I run 0W20 so I don't get any comments from my service guy.

Don't know how you've come to that conclusion as 5W-20 is primarily a conventional oil grade, I don't know of any manufacturer that actually spec's a 5W-20 synthetic while the 0W-20 grade must be made primarily from superior synthetic base stocks.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
No idea why you would be concerned to run 0w20 when the MFR specifically states to use it.

Exactly. Folks being concerned about 0w-20 being adequate really need to do some research. Literally VOLUMES of info to support the viability of this weight oil.
So many opinions on here....but facts and data is what I would think one would use as a guide to make a decision. Also, just follow the manual (if you don't want to void the warranty).

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Don't know how you've come to that conclusion as 5W-20 is primarily a conventional oil grade, I don't know of any manufacturer that actually spec's a 5W-20 synthetic while the 0W-20 grade must be made primarily from superior synthetic base stocks.

Really? Lots of brands sell 5w20 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Really? Lots of brands sell 5w20 synthetic.

Be that as it may, CATERHAM said that they're not specced by OEMs... not that they're not available.

Recommended Oil
U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 0W-20 engine oil.
Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda
vehicle. Mazda Genuine 0W-20 Oil is
required to achieve optimum fuel
economy.
For maintenance service, Mazda
recommends Mazda Genuine Parts and
Castrol® (U.S.A. only).
(ILSAC)
Only use SAE 0W-20 oil
“Certified For Gasoline Engines” by the
American Petroleum Institute (API).
Oil with this trademark symbol conforms
to the current engine and emission system
protection standards and fuel economy
requirements of the International
Lubricant Standardization and Approval
Except U.S.A. and CANADA
Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil.

Oil container labels provide important
information.
A chief contribution this type of oil makes
to fuel economy is reducing the amount of
fuel necessary to overcome engine
friction.
For maintenance

Last edited:

5w20 full synthetics have a reasonable NOACK value which is good for the DI engine. 0W20 full synthetics have higher NOACKs.

Last edited:

I thought Jag/Land Rover did spec a synthetic 5w-20; Castrol SLX. Thought they changed around 2012 from needing a 5w-30 Synthetic that met Ford WSS-M2C-913C

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back