New Mazda 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd use Mobil 1 0w20 EP for the first half of it's life than maybe slowly move over to a 5w30. You could use a 5w30 now with no problem at all but in this new engine I'd start off with a 0w20 for awhile.

Originally Posted By: leeharvey418
Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Don't know how you've come to that conclusion as 5W-20 is primarily a conventional oil grade, I don't know of any manufacturer that actually spec's a 5W-20 synthetic while the 0W-20 grade must be made primarily from superior synthetic base stocks.

Really? Lots of brands sell 5w20 synthetic.

Be that as it may, CATERHAM said that they're not specced by OEMs... not that they're not available.

Ah, got it. I read through that too quickly.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Personally, I'd say 5W20 is the best oil to choose but I run 0W20 so I don't get any comments from my service guy.

Don't know how you've come to that conclusion as 5W-20 is primarily a conventional oil grade, I don't know of any manufacturer that actually spec's a 5W-20 synthetic while the 0W-20 grade must be made primarily from superior synthetic base stocks.

5w20 full synthetics have a reasonable NOACK value which is good for the DI engine. 0W20 full synthetics have higher NOACKs.

Again you're mistaken.
0W-20 oils being synthetic do have low Noack percentages in the 9-13% range, better than spec' 5W-20 dino.
Noack is all about oil consumption and emission control requirements not intake tract deposits. You should choose an oil based on it's TEOST deposit level if you want to minimize the effect motor oil plays on intake valve deposits with DI engines.

Personally, I'd say 5W20 is the best oil to choose but I run 0W20 so I don't get any comments from my service guy.

5w20 full synthetics have a reasonable NOACK value which is good for the DI engine. 0W20 full synthetics have higher NOACKs.

Again you're mistaken.
0W-20 oils being synthetic do have low Noack percentages in the 9-13% range, better than spec' 5W-20 dino.
Noack is all about oil consumption and emission control requirements not intake tract deposits. You should choose an oil based on it's TEOST deposit level if you want to minimize the effect motor oil plays on intake valve deposits with DI engines.

Best TEOST scores:

Castrol Edge EP, Amsoil and Valvoline Synpower... (up until June 2013)

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/G3115.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nate1979
^^^
That's for 5w-30 oils, no results listed for 0w-20.

True, but i've never been able to locate the TEOST results for anything other than 5w30. Castrol makes an Edge EP 5w20 and an Edge (blk bttle) 0w20 (now w/ti). Synpower also makes a 0w20. I wouldnt be surprised if the 5w30 results were representative of the entire range. But this is pure speculation, i know.

Last edited:
Doesn't it get very cold in Iowa? Use the 0w20 even if you lived in Florida.

I also think a 0w oil meets the 5w spect but a 5w oil does not meet the 0w spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back