New Mazda 2.5T oil consumption?

sky

Looking to see thoughts as I just made an appointment with the dealer and the earliest they are able to get me in is in at the end of the month.

I have a brand new 2021 CX-30 Turbo with about 7500 miles on it. When I first got the car(20 miles), the low oil light turned on at about 3800mile, thought it was a bit odd but might have be low from the factory. Topped it off per manual (added about 1L) I did an oil change at 5k with M1 5W-30 and the oil level was right where it needed to be.

Now just 2 days ago at 7500 miles, the low oil light is turned on again. I want to top it off, but now I just want to bring it in to see if something is wrong with it. Anyone with experience with these engines? I haven't owned a new new car in over 15 years and this is annoying. I must be broken in now?

Not saying this is it, but the symptoms are the same as the 2.0 liter non-turbo Hyundai Elantra, Veloster, and Kona's are having with cracked rings. Some right from day one like you.

Hyundai's ALWAYS seem to have "an engine issue " every year, that involves rebuilding the motor. It has been that way for the past 11 years and 5+ billion dollars later we still get them. It almost seems "someone" wants to rebuild engines for profit as most of this is metallurgy choice, and can be fixed in 1 year with a robust metallurgy choice. But NO, someone keeps not implementing that easy fix, with a robust metallurgy choice. It is like a blood path to the victim at this point. All allegedly of course.

Last edited:
We have a 2012 Mazda 5 with the 2.5L. Never shows oil usage between changes and I use 0-20 full synthetic oil every 5K miles. Yesterday it turned 133K miles. It has been the most reliable car we have owned. No major repairs. Tires, brakes wipers and one battery. Put 2new shocks on the back and did a transmission oil and filter. Wish they still made them.

I did an oil change at 5k with M1 5W-30 and the oil level was right where it needed to be.

Now just 2 days ago at 7500 miles, the low oil light is turned on again.

Does the light come on if you are a quart low, and thus saying it used a quart in 2500 miles? If so, no manufacturer will say that is excessive oil consumption. Especially on a turbo.

I'd say probably 80% or driving are short trips, under 20 miles in total.

In termms of when the light comes on - yes. That is my understand that the light is on and if you look at the manual, it says to add 1L as it's getting to the minimum oil level.

I'd say probably 80% or driving are short trips, under 20 miles in total.

In termms of when the light comes on - yes. That is my understand that the light is on and if you look at the manual, it says to add 1L as it's getting to the minimum oil level.
I suspect it's the fuel dilution thinning the oil, and it's slipping past the rings.

I have a 2019 GT-Reserve with the 2.5 turbo engine. I only have about 12,500 miles on it to date and it was purchased new.
It consumed just a little oil in the first 5000 miles, maybe 3/4 of a quart. Since then the oil consumption has been negligible, I expect it to be less than a half quart by the time I reach 15,000 miles. I do 5000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 5W-30 EP oil which is supposed to be a good match for the type of direct injection system that Mazda uses.

Does the 2021 CX 30 turbo have a conventional dipstick or has Mazda gone to electronic oil level readout only ? If the dipstick shows low as well as the warning light, yes there is a BIG problem. I would keep a very close eye on the oil level and keep it topped off at all times until you can get it into the dealer.

The 2.5T Skyactiv engines are gaining a reputation for being well designed and built engines with a good record of reliability. Of course you may be the unlucky guy, but that's what warranties are for.

I have a 2019 GT-Reserve with the 2.5 turbo engine. I only have about 12,500 miles on it to date and it was purchased new.
It consumed just a little oil in the first 5000 miles, maybe 3/4 of a quart. Since then the oil consumption has been negligible, I expect it to be less than a half quart by the time I reach 15,000 miles. I do 5000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 5W-30 EP oil which is supposed to be a good match for the type of direct injection system that Mazda uses.

Does the 2021 CX 30 turbo have a conventional dipstick or has Mazda gone to electronic oil level readout only ? If the dipstick shows low as well as the warning light, yes there is a BIG problem. I would keep a very close eye on the oil level and keep it topped off at all times until you can get it into the dealer.

The 2.5T Skyactiv engines are gaining a reputation for being well designed and built engines with a good record of reliability. Of course you may be the unlucky guy, but that's what warranties are for.
It does have a dipstick. Thank goodness. The dipstick level does show it at the min level when the light comes on. I'm going to keep an eye on it and see until it gets to the dealer.

First time I've heard of anything like this with Mazda. Like others have opined, take it into the dealership for a look.

We have a 2012 Mazda 5 with the 2.5L. Never shows oil usage between changes and I use 0-20 full synthetic oil every 5K miles. Yesterday it turned 133K miles. It has been the most reliable car we have owned. No major repairs. Tires, brakes wipers and one battery. Put 2new shocks on the back and did a transmission oil and filter. Wish they still made them.
Your engine is the older Duratec jointly developed by Ford and Mazda. We have its smaller 2.3 l predecessor in our 2009 Mazda 5. It's been a very good engine so far.

The engine in the OP's car is the unrelated SkyActiv 2.5, developed entirely by Mazda. The SkyActiv engines have a very good reputation so far, so I'm following this thread with interest

I've got about 3.5 weeks until my appointment. Should I just top up with 1/2 a quart or so and then just monitor for the 3.5 weeks or just leave it.

I've got about 3.5 weeks until my appointment. Should I just top up with 1/2 a quart or so and then just monitor for the 3.5 weeks or just leave it.

I would keep it topped off but also keep record of how much oil you added and the mileage.

Back