New Machines in Agriculture

I would hate to of been born a chicken.
The chance of you being someone's 'pet' is very slim.
You would never know what was going to happen if you were a chicken. You'd probably freak out with the machine grabbed you and that would be the last thing you knew.
You would have a short and fattening life

You would never know what was going to happen if you were a chicken. You'd probably freak out with the machine grabbed you and that would be the last thing you knew.
You would have a short and fattening life
Commercial chicken processing isn't a pleasant process. The chickens are hung by their feet from a conveyer with their heads being dragged through an electrified water bath. Some chickens manage to keep their heads above the water. Then their throats are slit by getting dragged over a rotating blade. Chickens are alternatively stunned or killed by being gassed. The old chopping block and hatchet in the backyard are quicker but not doable on a commercial basis due to the sheer numbers. Chickens raised for meat are usually slaughtered when 7 months old. Egg-laying hens are slaughtered when their laying capacity declines at about 18 months old.

I once interviewed a young lady for a job at one of the companies I worked for. I asked her what her last summer job was. She said a she had a job stuffing live chickens into a semi trailer. I thought that sounds a lot like working here in our downtown office. We ended up hiring her and she did great.

Last edited:
But since the topic is new machines in agriculture, how about the John Deere 9RX series of tractors.

6653E890-A821-4433-9EF0-2F28706D0941.jpeg

I work in the seed industry. Our specialized equipment is really cool.

The World Ag Expo is mind blowing for sure!

Commercial chicken processing isn't a pleasant process. The chickens are hung by their feet from a conveyer with their heads being dragged through an electrified water bath. Some chickens manage to keep their heads above the water. Then their throats are slit by getting dragged over a rotating blade. Chickens are alternatively stunned or killed by being gassed. The old chopping block and hatchet in the backyard are quicker but not doable on a commercial basis due to the sheer numbers. Chickens raised for meat are usually slaughtered when 7 months old. Egg-laying hens are slaughtered when their laying capacity declines at about 18 months old.
We raised 100 roaster chickens each summer.
When I was really young, we 'processed' them at home by hand. That kind of sucked.
When my dad had a few dollars in his pocket, we took them to a processor....

Pretty interesting stuff. They've come a long way from calf buckets, 8-cow milking parlors, and hay stacker wagons. My dad moved round bales with two homemade tines bolted to the bucket of a JD 4020.

The narrator mistook chemical sprayers for irrigators several times, though.

Back